• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Habitat destruction

Couple of replies ref Sizewell, let’s hope the opposition isn't snuffed out by government as they are doing with HS2.
I had a meeting with Suffolk Wildlife Trust a couple of weeks back on another matter, this is what I was told this afternoon about Sizewell.

Hi Andy,
It’s not good and we are trying to get better fish deterrents on the intakes (acoustic as a minimum) – RSPB are leading on this due to the possible impacts on terns and red-throated diver but I know NE and EA want this too.
Sizewell C is a monumental piece of work for a charity such as ours and we tend to divvy up work across a range of environmental stakeholders – Suffolk WT focus is on the loss of nationally important fen SSSI and a selection terrestrial protected species such as bats, but we are putting in a joint submission with RSPB which will cover fish as well.

And Stuart from the AT

Thanks guys,
I am aware of this issue but not all the details. I have been working with the Somerset WT, WWT and the D&SIFCA on Hinckley C. Same problem. There EDF is trying to remove their commitment to installing an acoustic FD. There is a planning inquiry into this in June. Bluemarine Foundation is leading on the planning inquiry for the NGO side. I will be publishing a story on Hinckley C in the coming weeks.

It looks like opposition is growing.

FB_IMG_1619796465148.jpg
received_226336805917030.jpeg

I'd like to think the AT and I had an influence here as that gives a massive incentive to keep pushing on issues we see as important. Zac Goldsmith had said back in March (posted on 23rd), that riparian areas were to get increased legislation. Subsequently, this press release yesterday is very positive and great news;

'We hope in time farmers will be incentivised not only to plant trees but to create wetlands, floodplain meadows and other spaces for natural processes and wildlife to regenerate in riparian buffer zones.'

Are farmers going to be given grants for this? And will the EA cease to rip out the natural weed growth in the rivers, bankside vegetation and trees?
Late summer on the Ivel every year, the EA rip out most of the reeds and crowfoot ranunculus from most of the River Ivel. I'd like to think this terrible habitat destruction will stop.

Sorry to be a Grinch, but couple of things that really irritate me about the way this is being presented by the Govt.

This isn't new funding, it's just a different heading within the same scheme. This is the same pot of money that was announced in June (https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...oodland-creation-grant-opens-for-applications).

It was heralded then as a landmark scheme, which ignores that fact that the England Woodland Grant Scheme has been running (under different disguises) for at least 25 years and has in the last 10 years funded the creation of 24,570 ha of broadleaved woodland in England. Any landowner in England can apply subject to eligibility rules.

The scheme announced in June is effectively a £15m top-up of the existing Woodland Creation Grant, and that also includes measures for reducing flood risk, improving public access to woodlands, planting woodlands close to settlements and improving water quality by strategic planting.

The 'Woodlands for Water' project however will be confined to National Trust land only. 1575 - 3150km of riparian buffers over 4 planting seasons by planting 3150 ha of woodland and the overall budget additional money being spent on riparian planting is about £5.04m, that is £1.26m a year. For reference Defra's annual budget was £4332m for 2020-21.

In principle the measures being proposed are sound and to be welcomed, I just wish they would actually put their money where there mouth is and deliver some meaningful areas. The treasuries own figures show that for every £1 spent on forestry grants there is nearly £2 of economic benefit.

'We hope in time farmers will be incentivised not only to plant trees but to create wetlands, floodplain meadows and other spaces for natural processes and wildlife to regenerate in riparian buffer zones.'

Are farmers going to be given grants for this? And will the EA cease to rip out the natural weed growth in the rivers, bankside vegetation and trees?
Late summer on the Ivel every year, the EA rip out most of the reeds and crowfoot ranunculus from most of the River Ivel. I'd like to think this terrible habitat destruction will stop.
This project money will be spent entirely on the National Trust estate. Farmers and landowners elsewhere can apply for woodland creation on riparian zones through the ordinary Countryside Stewardship Woodland Creation Grant.

Who knows what the EA will do?!

This project money will be spent entirely on the National Trust estate. Farmers and landowners elsewhere can apply for woodland creation on riparian zones through the ordinary Countryside Stewardship Woodland Creation Grant.

Who knows what the EA will do?!
I don't know of any National Trust Estates along the banks of the Great Ouse. 🤔

I don't know of any National Trust Estates along the banks of the Great Ouse. 🤔
Apparently the catchments are:

Taw and Torridge in Devon and Somerst Tamar and Fowey in Devon and Cornwall; Bure, Glaven, Stiffkey, Wensum, Heacham, Lark, Gaywood and Wissey catchment in Norfolk; Eden and Derwent in Cumbria; Teme and the Wye.

I'm pretty sure that's more than six catchments though?!

I don't think it's being a grinch. This is press release is further recognition of the benefits of riparian areas and grants are available for landowners. The most important thing is the recognition by Zac Goldsmith and DEFRA that will, hopefully, back our argument for legislation protecting existing riparian areas.

BTW, I have just returned from 2 weeks fishing the Fowey in Cornwall and cannot imagine where more trees will be planted :)

Where's that Edward?
Upper Thames at Newbridge. Over the years I have had more than a dozen 6lb chub fishing to those trees and countless fives. Some lucky so and sos have even caught barbel there. Every angler just marches straight past now. Ten miles up river they have managed to pull the roots out - ten old willows have completely disappeared with no evidence left of their existence. It was a really strange sensation when I went to fish there before Christmas - it took a couple of minutes to realise what had happened.

Apparently, they intend making the Upper Thames a dual carriageway for boats. The Thames up here is increasing in width a metre per year. Ironically, over a 100 boats have been hoisted out of the water as they had been abandoned by owners and rental companies and were leaking oil and diesel for years. There is now a sizeable boat graveyard at Grafton Lock.

View attachment 17711
Some quality work here...
Appalling, PM sent and thanks for posting
Upper Thames at Newbridge. Over the years I have had more than a dozen 6lb chub fishing to those trees and countless fives. Some lucky so and sos have even caught barbel there. Every angler just marches straight past now. Ten miles up river they have managed to pull the roots out - ten old willows have completely disappeared with no evidence left of their existence. It was a really strange sensation when I went to fish there before Christmas - it took a couple of minutes to realise what had happened.

Apparently, they intend making the Upper Thames a dual carriageway for boats. The Thames up here is increasing in width a metre per year. Ironically, over a 100 boats have been hoisted out of the water as they had been abandoned by owners and rental companies and were leaking oil and diesel for years. There is now a sizeable boat graveyard at Grafton Lock.

Have just read a really depressing book."Elegy for a river" by Tom Moorhouse.He is a scientist/ecologist and has written about the challenges of trying to study and reintroduce water voles to stretches of rivers,marshlands,etc.He also covers his work with our native white clawed crayfish and the effect of signal crays on the river environment.The book has obviously got "science" in it but is an easy read and he even tries to inject some humour into such a dark subject.
Whilst carrying out a census of the signal crays the numbers he found are absolutely mind boggling.He has also found that they decimate any invertebrates on the river bottom and destroy any type of spawn from frogs and toads to fish eggs.He also also found that they are disturbing the riverbed that much with their scuttling about and their burrowing into banks they can turn any clear stream/river into a discoloured one with disturbed silt thus affecting any vegetation they haven't eaten.
He also argues quite convincingly that the only serious predators on signal crays,besides other signal crays,are otters and states that at the moment we need more otters not less.They also get rid of mink!.Bonus.Stay safe all and try and keep upbeat despite all of the above.

Back