• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Habitat destruction

Andrew Burt

I have a meeting with DEFRA shortly. Some of the people in the meeting are responsible for freshwater fisheries, I spoke to them previously about the habitat destruction on the rivers Warwickshire Avon and Arrow at Marlcliff. I was told post Brexit they were intending to change legislation (heard that a few times), therefore I now intend to go back to them.

Can you please post photos or links to habitat destruction on waterways and name the river / waterway, precise location if possible and date please? I can then present a number of examples to demonstrate the extent to which this is happening. You can always PM me if you do not want it posted and of course if you wish to remain anonymous I will ensure that happens.

We have to try and stop this happening.

Thanks in advance Andy

IMG_1255.JPG

I have a meeting with DEFRA shortly. Some of the people in the meeting are responsible for freshwater fisheries, I spoke to them previously about the habitat destruction on the rivers Warwickshire Avon and Arrow at Marlcliff. I was told post Brexit they were intending to change legislation (heard that a few times), therefore I now intend to go back to them.

Can you please post photos or links to habitat destruction on waterways and name the river / waterway, precise location if possible and date please? I can then present a number of examples to demonstrate the extent to which this is happening. You can always PM me if you do not want it posted and of course if you wish to remain anonymous I will ensure that happens.

We have to try and stop this happening.

Thanks in advance Andy

View attachment 13699

That's good and proactive Andrew. I've photos of EA destruction (aka flood defence) on the river Hull going back to c.1997. Photos, not digital unfortunately. Send me an address by pm and I'll send you them in the post.

I’m a bit late to the party on this one sorry, I sent Andrew the River Dane destruction info and photos yesterday.

What have the EA said? From what I understand as the river bed was affected the fisheries team can take some action. Are you any nearer to finding out who and why this was done?

What have the EA said? From what I understand as the river bed was affected the fisheries team can take some action. Are you any nearer to finding out who and why this was done?

Action will be taken as the farmer didn't have the permission to do as much 'work' as he did. As I understand it Stratford Angling Association were well aware of the work going as they had various site visits and meetings with the farmer and this I find worrying. The fact the club couldn't run their matches there because of the silt, shallow and overgrown swims partially led to this being carried out from what I know, a blinkered view that sadly many match anglers agree with.

Re the River Dane incident, which is mentioned above, it really is worth reporting bank side tree felling and removal to the Forestry Commission, because if no felling licence is issued, they will be all over it.

The farmer involved, was issued with a restocking order, meaning he cannot remove the willow stumps and he has to now plant 700 trees along the river. Apparently he’s not best please🙂

Re the River Dane incident, which is mentioned above, it really is worth reporting bank side tree felling and removal to the Forestry Commission, because if no felling licence is issued, they will be all over it.

The farmer involved, was issued with a restocking order, meaning he cannot remove the willow stumps and he has to now plant 700 trees along the river. Apparently he’s not best please🙂

The FC will also have been required to report the farmer to the Rural Payments Agency (RPA) for failure to adhere to the Cross Compliance rules - these are the rules farmers have to comply with or they get financial penalties applied to their farm subsidies. Felling tree without a licence is a breach of Good Environmental and Agricultural Condition (GEAC) 7c. Typically the penalty for intentional non-compliance is 20% of their total annual subsidy. The bigger the farm the bigger the fine eg a 100-acre farm would be fined approx. £1800 and a 500-acre farm £8900.

It has been confirmed today by Zac Goldsmith The Minister of State for the Environment that he is committed to have riparian habitat and buffer zones included in the new Environmental Land Management Schemes. I should have more information shortly and will post it up! DEFRA have so far delivered on their word to implement this after Brexit, lets hope it comes off! I feel let down so many times in the last few years, this is very positive news. :)

Please forward anything you may feel will help the cause!

Back