• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Grayling

I'll also be checking them out cheers Geoff.

Guys, can anyone point me in a general direction for a good days Grayling fishing around the Welshpool, Shrewsbury (and about anywhere else) area? Had some great days trotting around Ludlow but half of it is now full of trollies! Any syndicates on the Teme worth a look?
Cheers

Cheers Paul. I used to fish Bills pools back in my Carp days. Didint realise Grayling were in his stretch. Great stuff.

Caught my PB grayling of 1lb 8oz today. A nice fish from the river I am fishing :) tough day though, bites were very hard to come by.

Last edited:
Very Enjoyable day on the Test (thanks to the Chap that took me and caught bigger ones!) Monday

A number of grayling and lots of brownies to 5lb with a few roach.

Great day also today on the upper Kennet with a few Grayling, a chub, 2 perch, 5 dace, 20 or so roach, a minnow and a dozen brownies to 4lb.

Test20Valley-20121119-006241.jpg

Nice one Graham.

Montgomery ac has some water round Welshpool which have a good head of Grayling to good sizes, I have also heard of huge fish coming out from Llandinam which is further up above Newtown, the bloke who sent me this picture off his phone reckoned it was over 5lb which is well over the british record and I'm inclined to believe him.

9-1.gif

The Teme fish I have caught have all been a bit on the small side tbh.

I've started to fish the Leighton stretch on the Monty ticket so will give them a go up there if they're worth it. Quite intrigued in that Llandinam stretch now as thats a clonker. Not ruddy 5 though! :)

At the risk of being ridiculed:(

I have had a number of 3+ers from the Frome and that fish does not look anywhere near 5lb.

Only my opinion though;)

Keith, you are more experienced than most of us with big grayling so no need to ridicule your view.

Fished the Frome once and caught to 2.10 but I would like to see the whole piccy to get a better estimate. It certainly looks a very deep fish.

Graham

At the risk of being ridiculed:(

I have had a number of 3+ers from the Frome and that fish does not look anywhere near 5lb.

Only my opinion though;)

Have to agree Keith that is definitely not 5lbs, I have been fishing for Grayling for over 30 years and this fish caught recently from up my way was 4lbs 4oz and its bigger by far.
Hardy Fishing - News & Events - News - Howard Lands A Giant 4lb 4oz Grayling

I had a 3lbs 3oz grayling a the weekend & that was bigger than the one shown so definitely not 5lbs :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wondered when that one would show up Ian !? lol certainly looks bigger than the claimed 16lb Taff Barbel in the AM this week :eek:/

Just shows how difficult it is to "value" weights from pics.....Looks a similar size to the 4lb 4oz one to me in the pic highlighted by George.....however the Claimed scottish record fish looks about 2.8 to me!

Specsavers.

Back