• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Grayling

A few yesterday about a dozen plus lots of Trout to around 7 -8lb.
Some nice roach to 1.10, big dace and couple of chub.

Attachments

• received_1277882639389707.jpeg
    received_1277882639389707.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 281
  • 20220121_125631.jpg
    20220121_125631.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 277
Well I caught an ultra rare Grayling from Warwickshire, blog link I was given a location to try after they have been appearing in fish surveys over the years and third trip managed one. A small but significant fish and I'll be giving them another go before the end of the season. As I did bump a couple of fish off and lost a decent one too.

Yes, it's high summer! But a couple of weeks ago I ventured out to the Upper Dorset Frome with my #4wt fly outfit. Principally I wanted to further explore the venue in its summer state and knew there was an outside chance I might catch something even though the previous 3 or 4 trips had all resulted in blanks. This time I caught!

Several micro trout were fooled as well as a proper brown of around 1lb 8oz and I had walked miles in the process.

But then I hooked a much bigger fish and instantly saw it was a big grayling. I could see it pretty much throughout the fight as it "walked me" downstream for a while. I eventually netted a big male fish with a magnificent dorsal fin. A quick weigh in mid river in the net showed 4:12ish.

I then sat down in mid river and made sure, as best as I could, it recovered in the net. I took two phone pics as it went away powerfully. I weighed the net at 1:06 so happy the grayling was well over 3lbs.

It may well have beaten my heaviest ever grayling of 3lbs 07oz also from the Frome many miles downstream and caught while trotting. It certainly beat my previous biggest grayling on the fly by well over 2lbs and without doubt the best looking grayling I've ever seen!

20220707_170109.jpg

20220707_164701.jpg

Hi all
I've got a few days grayling fishing booked on the test next month. Never fished for them, a couple of questions.
Would I get away with a 13 ft match rod?
If not what would you recommend?
I will be using a centrepin. If anyone has fished the test, what sort of floats and size would I need ? Thanks in advance.
Wayne

Wayne I have not of late, simply because of the large numbers of Big trout where I'm fishing.

Been using carbon 16 to 5lb.

But if its not so spottie busy, yes a 14 red maggot hook with 3 or 4 red maggots.

Send me a pm if you like to tell me where you are fishing. I'll give you some suggestions

Evening gents,

Just wondering if any of you have fished The Frome in the centre of Dorchester ? It looks the part and from what I can gather is free fishing ??
Not after any specifics, just a heads up as to whether it’s worth a go !?
Any help greatly received 😊
Walked it with the GF earlier this week and it would give me something to do whilst she is mooching around the town 😉
Thanks in advance Paul M.

Had a weekend away with my brother after the ladies of the stream the other week. Brother hadn’t fished for about 40 years and wasn’t thinking he’d missed much after the first day - he blanked and I had 8 fish. He started to get the hang of it the next day and managed a scraper 2 which made his day. I also had a couple of scraper 2’s which is a new pb for me.

Attachments

• 3DF641E1-494D-4643-9099-CAD502DC34D3.jpeg
    3DF641E1-494D-4643-9099-CAD502DC34D3.jpeg
    294.7 KB · Views: 125
Back