• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

forget the rivers and watercraft, the future!

Hatter, well so far the issue of gross overstocking has largely managed to evade public scrutiny, though I don't know how long it will be before the anti's try to make something of it?

I agree that we should avoid factionalised infighting to deal with this issue. It is, however, something which angling should look to officially agree a code on, perhaps through the Anglers Trust. Perhaps commercial fisheries could then gain 'good fishery/animal welfare awards' that work like a seal of approval. It's just a thought?

all to their own, but at what level, would it be acceptable for me to stick a 100 carp into a goldfish bowl and put it the middle of the room and get my rods out, is that angling?, maybe it is.

To be honest i have fished Drayton reservoir only the once and had a really good days sport, caught plenty of fish, tried different rigs bait etc, i really dont think people should mock these types of waters, its just the other end of the spectrum, and its quite a good learner for those starting out in our sport, it only takes a couple of blanks and they are lost from fishing altogether.

I enjoy fishing but if I didn't enjoy catching then I'd just sit on a riverbank and not go to the trouble and expense of taking rods, reels, bait etc etc. Fishing with little or no prospect of catching is a dismal experience.

My point was that if one has to catch so much in order to have had a good day's fishing then it's missing the point of the the whole fishing experience and probably time to give it up...........To me anyway!:D

Its not a point of catching so much, its a point of just catching, in time after catching lots you set different goals of moving on to harder waters where bites are not so easy, and in those times of not catching you start to appreciate everything thats going on around you wildlife and nature, and realise that actual bites are not the bee all and end all of fishing, its just a learning curve, and lets be honest if all new comers to the sport start on Yately or Horton etc the future for fishing wouldnt look very bright

Of course they shouldn't start (and never did start) on a headbanging water, they started by scratching about in pieces of usually unlovely yet somehow mysterious and imagination-gripping water. In these days of "burgerized" everything - I have the money, very little time, all the necessary kit for fivepence, now I want the goods (now, as in "like yesterday")- the argument that "ducks in a barrel" waters offer the beginner a way into Angling is an erroneous one. Instant massive success, in my experience, does not create growing, lasting interest but swift drift-off, even contempt - it's all a bit like briefly hooking up with and bedding your ultimate female teen idol as a spotty fourteen year old, then finding, after the fling is over, that the real world ain't like that...

Of course they shouldn't start (and never did start) on a headbanging water, they started by scratching about in pieces of usually unlovely yet somehow mysterious and imagination-gripping water. In these days of "burgerized" everything - I have the money, very little time, all the necessary kit for fivepence, now I want the goods (now, as in "like yesterday")- the argument that "ducks in a barrel" waters offer the beginner a way into Angling is an erroneous one. Instant massive success, in my experience, does not create growing, lasting interest but swift drift-off, even contempt - it's all a bit like briefly hooking up with and bedding your ultimate female teen idol as a spotty fourteen year old, then finding, after the fling is over, that the real world ain't like that...

Now that is a VERY good post :) couldn't have put it better myself, the whole point of the sport seems to have been lost along the way IMO

My god its a good job I was sat down when viewing this thread, messrs Boote & Turnbull in agreement on something:eek::eek::eek:

On top that shock, I never noticed Paul's usual put downs to those who have a differing view point to his......
I is gonna have to re-read this thread to double check that someone hasn't been mixing summat in my baccy or topping up my coffee with a sly nip of something.....:D

There is nothing worse, in my opinion - well, except for lying to others for profit or just because it is part of your probably highly unpleasant, tricksy nature - than damning with faint praise. Nasty habit people, Brits particularly, have got into both in real life and the no-fall-out internet - when having to agree with someone [OMG! I've got to!], they still try and poo on them.

There is nothing worse, in my opinion - well, except for lying to others for profit or just because it is part of your probably highly unpleasant, tricksy nature - than damning with faint praise. Nasty habit people, Brits particularly, have got into both in real life and the no-fall-out internet - when having to agree with someone [OMG! I've got to!], they still try and poo on them.

I'd be a liar if claiming to have never told a mis-truth but then I do believe that so would every adult in this land that is or was capable of communication, yourself included. (IMO)

"Highly unpleasant, tricksy nature"; are you referring to yourself or me because if its a referral to me, tell more.

"Damning with faint praise"; just for clarity, I damn no one for praise, merely express an opinion, can the same be said of you..... well if your own self gratification and amusement are taken as being the same context, hmm I'll leave you muse of that.

For the record I ain't pooing on anyone, just sharing an observation.

Seems I was wrong in my last post, infact you did have poke a jibe at another, as usual.

I omitted to mention - "The Internet - the Still-Secure Home of all Combatives and Paranoids". Give up on this one, please, Colin, or I might be forced to eat you for lunch. It was about fishing, this thead, wasn't it...?

I've been forced to "give up on this one", am off carp fishing, though not on a water that could be remotely described as being overstocked with anything except signal crayfish (and boats), the Thames.

Actually think Paul's post, 27, Was really good. Not indulging in 'faint praise' or trying to be patronising. Loved the spotty 14 year old analogy,
Struck a chord with me. A good friend, a recovering alcoholic, started going fishing with his teenage son. It became one of his favourite things to do, and was a great way back into his family life. He was amazed just how easy it was to catch quite a lot of good sized carp, despite the fact that he had no real previous experience of fishing. However he was finding the £10-£15 a day each ticket a bit of a strain, also his son heard that I caught Barbel and he wanted to do so himself. He asked me about club membership. I was honest with them about the sort of fishing they could expect to 'enjoy'. Also told the lad about the blanks when fishing for Barbel, and the 'red letter days' when I caught 2 good sized Barbel. They did not join the club, and I think they now regard me as an oddball who can't afford proper fishing.
Don't want to sound like a grumpy old git, but some things these days are very much easier for youngsters. Take golf, when I was young most clubs did not make children welcome. Now there are academy style schemes, taster sessions etc, for kids as young as 5. Clubs and the industry realise the importance of looking after the future.
Fishing moves on from the days when I fished with a 6 foot solid carbon rod and a small diawa sea reel, catching small perch and stunted tench, dreaming of 2lb tench and 4 lb carp. However that mentality will never be completly lost. Plenty of young people will want to do things that are hard and a challenge, ever tried windsurfing?
The people that fish these ponds buy a lot of gear and bait, and that probably keeps the cost down of what I buy and keeps some angling shops from going under.
I am concerned about the density issue, but we know fish have neither fur nor feathers, are slimy, and not cute. I doubt many outside angling will be that concerned, and we will be left alone on this issue.
Each to their own, live and let live etc, have rambled too much.
Shaun, ribs getting better, next week the toad work will once more squat on my life.

Last edited:
I do think that perhaps the issue density could become a problem being where will it end??? There have been plenty of people on here saying that they couldnt fish lakes like that, which is fine, in my opinion i believe that there should be some lakes with a high stock density in them just to make it different. In years gone by and to the present day There have been loads of massive multiple captures had from the Seven, Wye, Trent etc, granted these fish might not of been stocked in there, and came about naturally, but catching for instance 15 carp in a day or 15 barbel in a day is there alot of difference???? cos i didnt hear anyone complaining about the barbel captures

the multiple catches in rivers are generally localised, the fish have miles of river to move about in, the carp in lakes don't, like a goldfish bowl.

Commercials generally aren't for me but I won't knock them or those that choose to fish them. As long as fish welfare (due to stocking levels etc) isn't a total afterthought then good luck to those that choose to frequent such places.
Nothing worse than seeing sick, dying or dead fish in the more extreme fisheries of the type.:(

Granted the barbel do have many of miles to move about in but multiple captures still happened, so they probably didnt move that far. The Carp do generally find safe havens whether it being snags, weed, islands, or the middle of the lake. I know a few lakes which do have a very high stock density, and under pressure the carp just sat out in the middle of the lake jumping about where no one could get at them.

Commercials generally aren't for me but I won't knock them or those that choose to fish them. As long as fish welfare (due to stocking levels etc) isn't a total afterthought then good luck to those that choose to frequent such places.
Nothing worse than seeing sick, dying or dead fish in the more extreme fisheries of the type.:(
a carp puddle near me that has a high stock load loses up to 100 carp a year due to?
it always happens every year.

Back