• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

forget the rivers and watercraft, the future!

On an even more worrying note I went to a lecture a few years ago by Prof Brian Moss on the impact of global warming on our ecology. He raised a point that while at the moment carp rarely breed in the UK, as temperatures rise it is likely that they will do so far more successfully and as a consequence impact on most other species of fish.... So here's a thought - while at the moment carp are being stocked into virtually every bit of water in the country, in 50 years time they could become such a pest that anglers will be throwing them up the bank in an effort to exterminate them!:rolleyes:

Chris, much as I enjoy river carping especially on the Thames, the same depressing thought was occuring to me.
Many of the fish I took last season and this are infact fully fledged residents of the river, spawned out and reared on there. (stocked in the 70's)
And if they have been able to sustain their numbers, well more likely increase their numbers.

What if conditions were to be even more favourable; slower pace, warmer for longer, lower oxygen levels resulting in true river species (barbel, chub, dace, trout etc) spiralling into ever decreasing numbers, thus greater food source availability.....

Doesn't bode well for the fish diversity on many rivers in the future.:(

Plus all the top ups in carp numbers via floods....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
There is only one answer for it - but I dare not speak its name!

Chris, I'll try to be a bit cryptical in my answer, save upsetting anyone of an over sensitive disposition.
Here's what I think your solution maybe, as an anagram: C,R,A,P C,U,L,L.

Thing is on many rivers, Thames at the top of the list, have little or no future as viable fisheries anyway, unless big changes are implemented.
So that's exactly what it'd be a c,rap cull!

Realistically what river fish (or any other fish), could be expected to survive, let alone thrive in the stagnent open sewage/drainage channel that this river has become.

And with many rivers following suit, hardly surprising the muddy puddle commercial scene is on the up and up.

Though TBH if I were a regular on the Trent or Severn, certainly I'd be considering dispatching of a few mud pigs and definitely wouldn't think twice about putting pay to a manky old ex commercial stockie.:eek:
For now they offer the only decent sport to be had on the Thames around Oxford cos I detest perch and there ain't much else!:rolleyes:

Back