• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Flurocarbon Hooklengths

Neil what pattern of hook are you using? i found that with a straight eyed hook the fluoro snapped a couple of times over the eye...With a knotless knot

Straight eyed hooks and knotless knot are a problem both with fluoro and mono, that's why I tend to use a combi-rig, the braid is far more resistant to the sharp bend over the eye.
The Drennan Continental Boilie hook is excellent as the eye is offset, pity they don't come in sizes smaller than 8.

I used to use the grinner knot, but then one day decided to test a few knots whilst waiting for bites, the grinner came off worse. Polomar and Mahseer both faired better.

Straight eyed hooks and knotless knot are a problem both with fluoro and mono, that's why I tend to use a combi-rig, the braid is far more resistant to the sharp bend over the eye.
The Drennan Continental Boilie hook is excellent as the eye is offset, pity they don't come in sizes smaller than 8.

Steve what fluoro are you using for the boom section? Have you found that using the albright knot with the finer fluoros that the braid cuts into and weakens the fluoro at the knot??

Have used IQ, 12lb breaking strain incorperating the palomar knot & in three seasons have not lost a fish due to the hooklength breaking. Unfortunately the only loss in that period was due to the main line parting.

Kind Regards
Andy

I switched to Korim S3s and break offs at the eye have stopped. Great hooks, heard they may be stopping making them ?

Back