• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Flurocarbon Hooklengths

Martin Hemington

Hi to all

I know this has been asked before but I just thought I would post it up again to see what opinion is on the "latest and best" Flurocarbon is for hooklengths.
I know that Prestons Grand Match was good, but no longer made. Frog Hair is another I have heard mixed reports on.

I intend to use it on a Maggot Feeder setup using 12 or 14 size hooks. I would like it to be soft/supple, some of the ones I have seen are quite stiff, which is fine for other setup/rigs but I'm looking at something for delicate setups.

Kind Regards

Martin

Errrrr I don't think Preston Reflo is a fluorocarbon, nevertheless it's still a good hooklink. I use it for silver fish but be aware the stated diameters are not totally accurate.

Kryston Incognito is pretty good but most fluoros are rather stiff and wirey.

I'd be more worried about knot choice.

Try Froghair by Gamma for a soft/ supple fluorocarbon, strong too.

Jon

Ah yes, I mentioned this in my first post, not seen it but I suspect it is softer than most. I won't be happy I guess until I have some in my hands. Will get some and give a good bench test first. If it fails my tests then it will end up in the big tuppaware (spelling) box with all the other stuff which I thought "was not up to the job"

On the subject of rejects, how big a box of reject tackle/stuff do you have?

I'm affraid I have enough stuff to almost open a tackle shop !!

Martin

Hello all

I use Airflo sightfree G3, 3rd generation fluorocarbon. Been using it in varying breaking strains for a couple of years and can`t recommend it highly enough.

It is generally used by the fly fishing fraternity as a tippet material.

Mic

Ah yes, I mentioned this in my first post, not seen it but I suspect it is softer than most. I won't be happy I guess until I have some in my hands. Will get some and give a good bench test first. If it fails my tests then it will end up in the big tuppaware (spelling) box with all the other stuff which I thought "was not up to the job"

On the subject of rejects, how big a box of reject tackle/stuff do you have?

I'm affraid I have enough stuff to almost open a tackle shop !!

Martin

Martin, if you Google 'Gamma Frog Hair' and go through all that comes up, you may notice that there SEEMS to be two different versions of it, one a fluoro, and one a co-polymer. If that is a fact, rather than a mix up on sellers web sites, then obviously you would have to take care which one you buy, if you absolutely want a fluoro. Certainly the spools for the two types advertised look a different colour, so it could well be true. Unfortunately, I couldn't see the spool of the co-polymer version clearly enough to verify the material.

Cheers, Dave.

Yep Riverge Grand Max or the Soft Plus.....I would highly recomend either material when looking for a subtle presentation with a fluoro hooklink...:)

I have tried all those mentioned and use frog hair fluoro for trout and barbel fishing. Not sure about bench testing though - mine is done on the riverbank. I have had double figure barbel and rainbows on the stuff and it has not let me down with a 5 turn grinner.

Gosh, thanks for all the speedy replies.

Frog Fluro and Grand Max Soft seem to be top of my list to check out although lot's of you have your own prefered ones and it's all about what you have faith in.

I might also add that the stretch of water I will be fishing will be very clear in the summer with not much flow and no major snags. 8lb test line will be my starting point with a small 12 or 14 size hook.

Martin

Back