• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Flurocarbon Hooklengths

I have tried all those mentioned and use frog hair fluoro for trout and barbel fishing. Not sure about bench testing though - mine is done on the riverbank. I have had double figure barbel and rainbows on the stuff and it has not let me down with a 5 turn grinner.
is that the 13lb.

Another vote for Incognito, use it in 9lb, 11lb and 13lb. Had two 11 pounders in early march from the Wye using the 9lb with feeder tactics and small hooks.

Prior to this used Drennan fly leader, but I found the Incongnito to be more supple.

I would add to these if not already done so that it is so important to use the right knot and well lubricate them (not teaching to suck eggs) btw. I used Icognito and thought it was rubbish then I tried a different knot and the difference in strength was very noticable...so will give it another try this season coming.

Brian

I would add to these if not already done so that it is so important to use the right knot and well lubricate them (not teaching to suck eggs) btw. I used Icognito and thought it was rubbish then I tried a different knot and the difference in strength was very noticable...so will give it another try this season coming.

Brian

What knots that's. Brian? I use the mahseer never failed for me.

I would be curious to know if any one super glues there knots ?
I glued all my knots last season caught loads of fish including some low doubles and not once did any of the knots fail .

DO NOT put super glue on Flurocarbon as it melts it. Also in general knots do not need gluing if you use the right knot on the right material. For Barbel I typically use a quick change swivel and protective sleeve, so on one end of the flurocarbon hooklength I have a figure of eight loop and on the other a knotless knot.

If I have to tie an alternative knot using flurocarbon to a swivel or hook, its a palomor knot every time. IMHO other knots i.e. double grinner cause kinks and weaken the flurocarbon.

You also need to be very disciplined when using flurocarbon i.e. if you find even the slightest amount of damage to the hooklength, then change it.

Last edited:
Neil what pattern of hook are you using? i found that with a straight eyed hook the fluoro snapped a couple of times over the eye...With a knotless knot

Last edited:
DO NOT put super glue on Flurocarbon as it melts it. Also in general knots do not need gluing if you use the right knot on the right material. For Barbel I typically use a quick change swivel and protective sleeve, so on one end of the flurocarbon hooklength I have a figure of eight loop and on the other a knotless knot.

If I have to tie an alternative knot using flurocarbon to a swivel or hook, its a palomor knot every time. IMHO other knots i.e. double grinner cause kinks and weaken the flurocarbon.

You also need to be very disciplined when using flurocarbon i.e. if you find even the slightest amount of damage to the hooklength, then change it.

Neil I can only speak from my own experience . Last season I used Korda IQ 10lb breaking strain for my hook length , Super glued all my knots and not once did I have a breakage on any of my knots . Either at the hook or the swivel end ?

I use the 5 turn grinner to the swivel and on the hook knotless knot not had many problems but have been snapped few times but at the hook not at the swivel.

I'd been using 15lb Korda IQ and seemed fine albeit a little stiff. That run out and I currently have Garnder Mirage on the go as I read a decent review in one of the mags. It appears more supple and has lower diameter plus it comes on big spools so much better value for money.

Neil what pattern of hook are you using? i found that with a straight eyed hook the fluoro snapped a couple of times over the eye...With a knotless knot

John, I find the best hook for fluro to be Korda choddy; however even the size 12 is massive and it's not straight eyed. Also use the Drennan S S Barbel hook in smaller sizes, which has a slightly in turned eye and had no issues with the knotless knot.

Neil

Neil I can only speak from my own experience . Last season I used Korda IQ 10lb breaking strain for my hook length , Super glued all my knots and not once did I have a breakage on any of my knots . Either at the hook or the swivel end ?

Joe, interesting stuff as I found that super glue defInitely weakened the Drennan Flyleader, my ex father-in-law also had similar issues when salmon fishing.

Edit: see this link on glue/fluro http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forums/archive/index.php/t-101348.html

It's suggested that not all glue brands weaken fluro?

Neil

Last edited:
fluro mainline ???

like neil , i use, ghost fluro and super glue my knots, and have had no problems with it, but i would like to know if anybody use fluro as a mainline,

Hi Neil,

I also used the choddys and found the same problem the size 12 was still to large...

Joe, interesting stuff as I found that super glue defInitely weakened the Drennan Flyleader, my ex father-in-law also had similar issues when salmon fishing.

Edit: see this link on glue/fluro Super Glue [Archive] - CEMEX ANGLING | FORUM

It's suggested that not all glue brands weaken fluro?

Neil

Neil I dont know what brand of super glue you were using . I was using
Bostik super glue and like I have allready stated not once did I have a breakage last season .
I dont know if this is worth a mention with the Korda IQ Fluoro you get a instruction leaflet with diagrams on how to tie a extra strong knotless knot .
It states to all ways make the first turn of the whipping on the opposite side to the eye closure

Most manufacturers state the correct knot to use for their lines. Also don't forget the other end.... the corret loop knot, over hand loop significantly reduces strength I have found and use figure of 8. There was another knot mentioned that is supposedly better for loops can't remember what it was now.

Brian

I have used Korda IQ in 10lb and found it to be quite stiff. In smaller diametres up to 8lb I use Greys Flouro' and find that better.

I fail to see what advantage super gluing a knot is going to achieve, is it to stop it tightening further or what?

I also alluded to this point earlier. Where braid is concerned I've never had a figure of eight or double grinner knot slip. Like wise I've had no issues with mono or fluro when using a palomar knot

Can only assume people do it as a confidence booster, and we all have those in our fishing;)

Back