• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Flooding and drought?

Hi. I was just wondering what the river levels are like in the south east now? I just heard on the BBC news that next winter is going to be another dry one and that the water authorities are reluctant to life drought orders. How on earth they can forecast next winter's rainfall I have no idea and I'd like to see where they're getting it from. It just seems to me that someone is desparate to create a sense of water scarcity.

cheers

Hi. I was just wondering what the river levels are like in the south east now? I just heard on the BBC news that next winter is going to be another dry one and that the water authorities are reluctant to life drought orders. How on earth they can forecast next winter's rainfall I have no idea and I'd like to see where they're getting it from. It just seems to me that someone is desparate to create a sense of water scarcity.

cheers
they are predicting next years water leaks....:eek::D

The footage on today's news of the burst water main pouring into the tube line station in London was quite spectacular. For a moment there I thought Thames water had decided to use the underground system as a novel new storage reservoir.

It seems that they had dug down to investigate a long term leak in the 100 year old mains pipe in that area, and the pipe disintegrated the second they uncovered it. What do you imagine the odds are that the rest of that pipe would disintegrate in exactly the same way if uncovered? That it is only the clay surrounding these pipes that is holding them together? Worrying thought? Does the fact that there are hundreds of miles of pipework just like that....in London alone...sound in any way alarming?

It probably would seem a tad worrying if you new this and lived in London. But I suppose not quite so much of a concern if you lived elsewhere in the world....as most of the owners of our water companies do. However, there is one reassuring aspect to all this....these companies are still paying out huge dividends to their shareholders (again, many of whom live abroad), and massive bonuses to all the top bods running the companies....so there can't be anything wrong, can there? Obviously, everything is absolutely hunky dory. Hold on....a dory is a fish isn't it?....I thought I could smell something.....

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
I see on tonights news Thames water are about to lift there hose pipe ban :rolleyes:
Severn Trent recently said they have had a record year for fixing leaks :)

Well it's a real mixed blessing all this rain , good ...no GREAT for the Rivers and obviously no one wants a drought. But I can't work in the rain...and I can't earn £££'s as a result, but hey it's gonna be an OK weekend so I can play catch up...but then there's the football, I have to allocate time for that of course, and then there's the new River season, which if course take priority over every thing else, and I still haven't painted the bathroom ceiling.

And to top it all there's a gert big fallen tree in our 'hot' swim :mad:

Dave. Bit like our local roadworks. Getting ready for the Olympics.

The new "throw some tar and grit on" surface was washed away within 2 weeks as they didn't realise the drought would mean torrential rain. They have to do about 50 of them again.

No doubt a record length and number of roads will have been completed in the Royal Boroughs end of year report.....

Graham

Graham

That is very cynical of you, are you saying you don’t trust what your local government tells you?

We are constantly being told that the Olympics are good for Britain, so it must be true!

Everything must be Kosher, after all Coe is already a Lord, so he has nothing to go for, same with all the Klingons, they are already Dames and everything.

So it just can’t be bent!

Can it??

Hiya Keith. I'm all for the Olympics, however I won't be spending £70 each for the 2 hour slot I am allowed to watch the rowing for etc etc. I'll be subsidising all the freebies as it is.

I will be sat in my armchair, in front of the TV with the beer of my choice, and the type of food of my choice having purchased them with a Debit card of my choice......(I won't be drinking bottles water of my choice at 5 x the going rate either)

I do think the roads etc should be maintained all the time however for the people that pay for them year in year out and not only for the visiting royalty etc.

I need to get out on the bank more.........soon thank goodness.

Grumpy Git Graham

Graham and Keith , tut tut! The Olympics will be a once in a life time event for us and Windsor! The Jubilee showed how well we do things! Not so good for CSAS and Windsor Race Course fishing until Sept as all the spectators enter Dorney through Race Course, saves making excuses for not catching though and gives more excuse to go to the Wye! Looking forward to towards 25 days at Dorney Lake, work is hard!

Hi Chaps

I have to say I am not interested in the Olympics at all, might as well be in Peru for all I care!

I am however sick to death of hearing the words "We can't do that, all the money/facilities/materials/spare capacity has gone over to the Olympics/ Olympic park!!"

This was supposed to be good for jobs for Londoners (as long as they came here from east Europe) and for the people of London (although you stand more chance of getting a ticket if you live anywhere but in Britain.

But of course it is OK for Londoners to pay for this for the foreseeable future.
And of course we are going to have to put up with huge traffic problems for the duration.

I think the French got it dead right in managing to loose the games at the last minuet the way they did!!

Hi Chaps

I have to say I am not interested in the Olympics at all, might as well be in Peru for all I care!

I am however sick to death of hearing the words "We can't do that, all the money/facilities/materials/spare capacity has gone over to the Olympics/ Olympic park!!"

This was supposed to be good for jobs for Londoners (as long as they came here from east Europe) and for the people of London (although you stand more chance of getting a ticket if you live anywhere but in Britain.

But of course it is OK for Londoners to pay for this for the foreseeable future.
And of course we are going to have to put up with huge traffic problems for the duration.

I think the French got it dead right in managing to loose the games at the last minuet the way they did!!

You got that right Keith :mad:

i think all the money that has been spent on the new stadiums, would have been better spent on the country, or put towards old peoples homes and things like that,he we all are struggling to make ends meat, and all there worried about is gold medals,the rest of the country wont see any of the profits from the games, and to top it all barclays bank manager,get fired and possibly get millions for getting the boot,we are now a third world country,???????

i think all the money that has been spent on the new stadiums, would have been better spent on the country, or put towards old peoples homes and things like that,he we all are struggling to make ends meat, and all there worried about is gold medals,the rest of the country wont see any of the profits from the games, and to top it all barclays bank manager,get fired and possibly get millions for getting the boot,we are now a third world country,???????

Maybe so, Eddie, a status that I thought that we were heading towards for some time. Doesn't stop this country being very popular with immigrants, though. Now that's a conundrum for you! I just can't work it out. Thank goodness for the Olympic Somali guy who got a gold for Britain. I wonder if Bolty could be persuaded to become British, I'm sure that he could be "fast-tracked".

Back