• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Flooding and drought?

Graham Elliott

Senior Member & Supporter
The Met Office is forcasting a months rain in the south over the next 5 days.

The EA are concerned about flooding possibility. (no doubt all the Thames weirs etc will be opened up fully to allow the fresh water to run straight to the sea)

The drought restrictions could run till Christmas.

Bleeding Rivers!

As Graham spotted....
The heavy rain this week is obviously a pain in the arse to Thames Water in their continued scaremongering tacticts and plans to make water scarce, so as to put water meters in every household and bump up the prices. Notice that they are intending to take even more water from our already low level rivers to bleed them dry and leave every bit of the riverine environment, fish, wildfowl and wildlife 'at risk' from dying. Notice the EA involvement as well! Will be interesting to see if they co-operate in the killing of our rivers and streams :mad:
Wet week has little impact on Thames Water drought plans

Last edited:
I must say, that since I don't have a large garden to water in the dry periods and both my children, to all intents and purposes have moved on, a water meter is the way to go, it saves me shed loads of £'s.
I advise anyone with a moderately sized garden, without kids, to do likewise. ;)
Oh and as for this wet period, it's just what we need. Consistent days of rain is the only way the water table can replenish, though I reckon it'll need six months of weather like this to have the desired effect.

Last edited:
It may be cheaper at the moment Chris as that is the Water Company strategy and planning, in making the public believe the hype...but you can bet your life that it wont be cheaper in the future and it will increase in price on par with electricity, gas, petrol etc, once the meters are installed in all households thoughout the UK. After all 'Freshwater' trading has become a worlwide business and trading our natural resourse is increasing with mega money to be made!

Last edited:
Remember diesel being cheaper than petrol and it was the way to go? now look at the prices........ Once they got ya by the cohones your doomed.

Brian

What sees the end of a drought period then? Plenty of sunshine?

What with population increase and low water table, RW's observations are indeed interesting. I don't have the knowledge on this subject but at the very least, can you say that things will improve long term?. The rivers I (and all of us I suspect) remember from years back were stronger/healthier.

Martin

It may be cheaper at the moment Chris as that is the Water Company strategy and planning, in making the public believe the hype...but you can bet your life that it wont be cheaper in the future and it will increase in price on par with electricity, gas, petrol etc, once the meters are installed in all households thoughout the UK. After all 'Freshwater' trading has become a worlwide business and trading our natural resourse is increasing with mega money to be made!
ray, i may welcome a water meter, i don't use a great deal and i may save some money, pay as you use.

Go for it David, you can always go back to standard billing.
Also, please don't flush after a slash, it's ridiculously wasteful. The mrs might need some encouragement there though. ;)

ray, i may welcome a water meter, i don't use a great deal and i may save some money, pay as you use.

That is what Ray is trying to explain Dave. The hype is designed to make meters look attractive NOW, especially to low consumers....but once the majority have them, then the water companies will have you .....by the short and curlies :( .....THEN watch the price per litre creep up...and up...and up.

As said, it will likely end up exactly like petrol, gas, electricity...keep adding a couple of pence on a litre, it doesn't sound too bad. It is far less likely to cause the scream of outrage you would get by adding, say, £50 in one hit on to a monthly/quarterly non metered bill. That is how they have done it with the other metered utilities, and it worked....so now they wan't it for water as well. You don't really believe that they are trying to get us all on meters for our benefit do you Dave? Or to slow down the use of water? They are profit driven companies, with demanding shareholders to satisfy....the more water you use, the more profit they make....and thus the bigger the bonus the top guys get. Doesn't bode well for our rivers if you look at it that way, does it?

Once you are in the trap, you are in it, there will be NO turning back. They won't let you change your mind and come and take the meter out again when the bills start going crazy high....and they will, bank on it mate :mad: And of course, just as with petrol, chances are the government will eventually want to add a tax per litre, and that will keep going up 'for our own good', to 'help us to cut consumption' every time there is a drought :rolleyes:

Obviously, the bills are slowly going up anyway....we have to pay ever increasing amounts to shareholders and obscene executive bonuses, so that is inevitable....BUT....if you think they are bad now, just wait and see what will happen once we are all trapped on meters....you 'aint seen nothing yet :eek:

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
i used to fit water meters for severn trent and can say most of the customers were better off as prevously mentioned if you are a couple or single then its the way to go
as to people moaning about paying for the privelegde of water that falls from the sky get your water main capped get a water butt and a rainwater harvest sytem and utilise the free water just don,t forget to sieve and boil before drinking:D

The thing with getting water meters fitted is that you have no idea of how much water you were consuming before the meter was fitted.

Therefore, relatively speaking, how do you know that you are actually paying less?

The thing with getting water meters fitted is that you have no idea of how much water you were consuming before the meter was fitted.

Therefore, relatively speaking, how do you know that you are actually paying less?
you can calculate roughly what water usage you use by various means
youre toilet for example will only flush a certain literage so count how many times a day you use
you can measure the volume of water coming from a tap by a simple device called a weir cup which you place under a running tap and it will show how many lts/min you are using so you can time how long to run a bath or a sink and calculate the amount its not 100% accurate but it will give a indication of how much you are using you will be suprised what you get through in a day

Good post Dave and Damian...On the ball with them ones!
Take Note! ...As said before, the 'Private' customers of the water companies have priority of supply over the 'Domestic Household' customers of this land like me an you!
When restrictions come in with drought orders ,they will apply only to the 'Domestic Customers supply and 'not' the Private Customers supply! in the first instant. ie: Money talks! Water Companies can sell our water 'outside' of our own Domestic Supply area to 'Private Customers' elsewhere, even in drought conditions and when restrictions are applied and in force to regulate Domestic Customers usage!

I would not be suprised if our river water supply is also being syphoned off to supply foreign coutries like in the middle east, via empty 'skin lined' holds in the Oil Tankers (Ships) after they the off-loaded the oil at UK docks! Makes sense not to go back empty! The other way is to fill the tankers ballast tanks with fresh water instead of the norm sea water!
It is legal! and aptly named 'Blue Gold' for 'Black Gold' exchange and deals!

Last edited:
If you have a water meter fitted and are not happy with it, before a year has elapsed, you can return back to standard rates. Fact.
They can only charge you for what you use with a meter.

Water Company Urgent Memo - Oh ****...It's Raining!

Chris...Maybe the case now, but in the future 'No' when they find they are not making enough money, because the public have cut back usage! Then up the price per litre! then have to cut back their staff and probably sack half the workforce! Eventually, in 10 years or so, water meters will be made 'compulsary' by the govrnment in my opinion with 'no' alternative standard rate, and part of the 'underhand' plan, in my opinion.
I see on the telly this morning that the EA are now issuing 'flood warnings' in the drought stricken areas!
You just can't make it up! ha ha! :)
....'Not the right type of rain'... press release to be issued later in the day no doubt!
As Graham says, wotch the EA run the excess water off to the sea as quickly as possible to bring back the drought conditions again, which suits the water company/government/EA plans to dupe the public into believing water is still scarce!
It's probable that they don't want us to see highly visible 'full' reservoirs, as the game would be up and exposed, hence 'empty the rivers and streams quickly' so that the reservoirs have no chance to replenish and fill up!
The Anglian Water muppet on TV was trying to justify keeping drought order in place...eerrrr!..Perhaps you should get out there and store some in your own well publicised water butts on site!!...very convincing sir!:rolleyes::)

Last edited:
Maybe we should open a "what really happened in the Kennedy shooting"

The conspiricy theorys are almost funny. Obviously some people missed the classes about business and economics.

Please, get a grip of reality and understand supply and demand. Thats a really good one to start with.

The only people raping this country of it's heritage are those who think they have no part of the responsibility.
Absolutely pathetic. Really.

Back