• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Flooding and drought?

Pete. I'm afraid your agument falls down

The banks were not nationalised. And failed.

The water companies were. And provided services and water at a far lesser cost.

Grsham

Wow, calm dowm guys !! My vote goes to whoever can raise the funding to fix all the leaks first. That has to be the responsibility of the supplier. If that means increasing cost so be it but fix the problem at source, don't penalise the consumer when they have the answer already ??

“Keeping the country short of water is now Government and EU policy”

Pete..I know who i wish to believe....and it aint you! ..Sorry!

No need for belief Ray, I actually exist.

Keep up the good work though, I love a good conspiracy theory. So much more fun than the real world.

Its no conspiracy Pete.

Its plain plumb obvious that if we ALL use less water then water companies will increase the price to maintain profits.

Thames water waste over 36% of water they treat. Customers pay for it.

No privately owned water company should be able to make a profit until they run at (ideally) 0% wastage.

Nobody is saying we shouldnt pay for what we use or that we shouldnt be tryin to use less.

As soon as someone resorts to calling someone a consiparcy loon they themselves loose all credability as they are not able to open their minds enough to contemplate another persons viewpoint.

Your basicaly saying: "this is how it is, just lump it and get on with it. Bend over and take it"

People like Ray are highlighting what these companies get away with.

If I ran my business like some of these FACELESS corporations or big companies do then I would quickly close down. Its almost impossible for the public to hold these companies responsible for anything.

“Keeping the country short of water is now Government and EU policyâ€

Pete..I know who i wish to believe....and it aint you! ..Sorry!

Ray if what you say is true . Can you produce the evidence or is it just conjecture on your part .....

If you have the evidence I am sure BBC News , Sky news or any of the big news papers would love to hear from you . Or even the Labour leader Ed Miliband . If what you say is true what better way to bring down this Tory goverment

Errr! Joe..the Telegraph printed the titled story above, not me! However, if you research all the facts onwards at what has happened since the privatisation of UK water companies in 1989, then i am sure you might have a different view.
In my opinion, as with water meters being installed, the UK public are being duped into believing that they will 'save money'!. May be the 'temporary'case at the moment, but when 'all' the meters are installed, then up will go the prices per unit, like petrol. gas, electricity and so on!
The issue of 'Saving Water' is not the priority of the public agreeing with water meters...'Saving Money' is! This is what the government and water companies want the public to believe! Water Trading in the UK and the World is becoming a huge business. If any water is saved in the process, due to the public using less, then any excess will be sold on to someone else in the near future, even foreign countries like the Middle East, China and many others. Fresh Water Trading is a big big worldwide business and growing and is worth a fortune like oil!

Last edited:
I have heard it said many times Ray in my short lifetime (relative), that Water will be and is fast becoming a precious commoditity. What to do though? That is the question when even a national newspaper can point out the flaws, yet be powerless to act (or say) until its too late.

The thing is Shaun...It might not be seen as a precious commodity or scarce in the UK 'if' the Water Companies stopped wasting it and got in the habit of storing the excess when it rains and floods. Both the Government and Water Companies want Fresh Water to become scarce for their own personal interests and monetary gain in the future and to further trading of the now seen highly prized fresh water commodity to 'private customers', here in the UK and worldwide! That is the business attitude of this government! The domestic general public customers are secondary fodder in all this and unless they realise, stand up and it is exposed, then, as you say it will carry on regardless! Yes, the Water Companies and government want droughts and less water to highlight the make believe 'precious scarce commodity', to eventually bump up the fresh water price on the markets...worldwide!
Think about it, any 'first off' restrictions bought in due to drought orders only apply to the Domestic Public Customer (me and you)...and not the 'Private Customer' who can have as much as they want despite the said shortages!

Last edited:
I see what you are saying here Ray, adequate provisions are not being made for us all to have plenty in our part of the world when they could be. This is - and has been - being accepted by those in power, because it pays them handsomly to keep the peasents paying, and the profiteers profiting, and make our environment suffer at the same time.
money money money

Rivers drying up

A few weeks ago the angling frat were in a real panic,rivers drying up
no more fishing,help we will have to sell our gear and buy golf clubs :mad:
Now all rivers in flood,and lakes overflowing,and your still moaning,get a life
you lot.......my metered water is cheap as chips,so im HAPPY

Think it may be time you moaned about the price of fuel,otherwise youll not afford the juice to fish our full of water fisheries :D:D:D

Pete. I'm afraid your agument falls down

The banks were not nationalised. And failed.

The water companies were. And provided services and water at a far lesser cost.

Grsham

Your argument falls down based upon the fact that nationalised industries are (generally) subsidised and thus provide services at below the market rate.

So you don't pay for the subsidies. :)

I'm not disagreeing - just pointing out that cheaper is not a good selling point for nationalisation. :)

But Hugh, profitability from those that do make one goes back in the pot. That's our pockets rather than the speculators...

If you want to experience ripping of customers by privateers, try taking the first great western train to paddington. Jammed in like sardines, reduced carriages and price rises that exceed rpi year on year.

Last edited:
Further. Although it is under different circumstances, privatisation operates in the same way as the Cadbury/Kraft situation.

Graham

Had a night out last night with a mate who lives in Bahrain, To fill up his pick-up with 80 litres of diesel it costs...wait for it.....

£2.20

yep.

Back