• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Flask recs please

Wow if there was ever a thread to show the total diversity of Bfw its this one.
We started off with flasks,that was fine,then moved on to Spanish organic drinking chocolate.I’m afraid i was starting to lose interest then, but it was ok because it was brought back down to my level by mention of the good old pot noodle.
Shot straight over my head in the end tho with a mini portable espresso .Im off to bed now with the beginnings of a migraine cos thats just done me in , and i mix with the so called Hampshire avon gentry . Wow
Despite my hot choc comments upthread, I'm no stranger to the ol' Pot Noodle. I was slightly heartbroken when they did away with my favourite flavour - sausage casserole - a couple of years ago. There was no hint that was a limited edition. Ho-hum.

I am a bit of a strange fish in that I really like the korma one.

Aaaaaaaand, bringing it back on topic:
I've been reading up on reviews of the Stanley, and I have to say there are a LOT - especially from the last few years - that echo David C's comments above. It really does look like I'll just get another Zojirushi.

Despite my hot choc comments upthread, I'm no stranger to the ol' Pot Noodle. I was slightly heartbroken when they did away with my favourite flavour - sausage casserole - a couple of years ago. There was no hint that was a limited edition. Ho-hum.

I am a bit of a strange fish in that I really like the korma one.

Aaaaaaaand, bringing it back on topic:

I've been reading up on reviews of the Stanley, and I have to say there are a LOT - especially from the last few years - that echo David C's comments above. It really does look like I'll just get another Zojirushi.
Stanley ha a 25 year warrantee think its now lifetime and it must be said there are counterfeit ones around so you have to buy from a reliable source

buying from Amazon normally is a free returns and never a problem retuning anything

my mate and his wife have the one in the amazon link I posted 1.9l l one and he says 24 hours still very very hot

Last edited:
On my third Stanley 1.9 litre flask. lifetime warranty, they keep replacing them .
After around nine years the outside of flask gets warm, so cold coffee.
Never quibble about replacement.

Stanley flasks are a bit like Marmite, you love em or hate em..
I was bought one some years ago, after reading glowing reports I suggested it.

Worst thing I ever did.. they are / were not vacuum flasks as I know it, they are , or at least were filled with a carbon compound that was supposed to be as efficient as a vacuum.
You could probably jack a car up on one, but as far as keeping liquids hot I think an Ice cream tub would be better .

I took it back to the retailer , he did not believe me, so we did a test and yes, it was just below rubbish on the scale of 1 to 10.

He refunded me . Maybe they have improved since the above experience . For me once bitten twice shy.

I now have a stainless steel thermos, in fact I have 3 of different sizes, each is over 7 years old, easily obtainable and these days cheap as chips. Fill with boiling water for ten mins , then empty it and pour in the scalding hot drink of your choice,cap screwed on and then I put the flask in a home made “flask Muff “ . I avoid the flasks with a push button top, After the Stanley episode I bought one of them and it leaked like a sieve .Screw on pour through without fully removing the cap for me.

I use mine when fishing on winter beaches, where my box is on the sand, which sucks any heat from anything during the winter , flask in muff in box and keeps drinks hot for anything up to 12 hours, I have had drinks warm enough left in the flask when returning home after being filled 15 hours earlier .

Dave
Your story Dave is almost identical to mine.
I’ve had Stanley’s and I hate them. They are total Sh** in my opinion. 2 of them on the trott sent back for a refund because they wouldn’t keep a brew warm for longer than 5 or 6 hours.

Bought a thermos king and it’s loads better.
And I mean looooooooaaaaaads better. 24 hours hot Easy.

Stanley were the nuts when they were manufacturing in the USA but these Chinese copies they make now ain’t the same product. Thermos is also China made but they seem to work better.

The ones to look out for are the thermos Nissan flasks. Not available here in uk but if you get chance to lay your hands on one of them then you’ll probably never want to use anything else they are awesome

Stanley gets my vote but to be honest my preference is a tiny gas cartridge/burner combo with some sachets of latte/americano.
Take a litre of water and keep a few litres in the van as well as some mini canisters, packs down nice and small and endless FRESH brews throughout the day!
The days of drinking stewed cowboy coffee are long gone for me!

Just replaced both of my thermos kings after considerable use of mainly half caff coffee that was starting to turn to horrible sludge after a few hours. The only flasks i have not destroyed just worn them out .

Had a Lifeventure 1000 for quite a few years. Its only 1 litre so possibly not enough for the OP but maybe they do a bigger version?

i take a litre of water but piping hot drinks every time tea coffe sugar etc all fits ina small tupperware box
if i’m doing a short session i take a thermos flask
I do the same , trouble with flasks is the time of day when i really could do with a hot cuppa or something hot to eat is the evening or dusk and most flasks i’ve tried any drink left is warm at best.
I managed to source some small containers that means all my ingredients ,tea bags,milk,sweetners fit inside my jetboil .
Im probably going to regret saying this and its gonna blow up in my face next time i use it , but its got to be the safest stove i’ve ever had .Just fire it up and hold it on my lap, warms my hands up at the same time.
Brilliant bit of kit thats lasted about 5 or 6 years so far.

Someone was telling me today the Stanley master flasks are on a playing field of their own. So I looked them up …….😳😳😳
Yes they look the absolute nuts but Christ I don’t think I could pay that for a bottle

11A8A0FA-7540-4E21-A6E5-9E0929426657.jpeg

To clean the filthiest of flasks add one teaspoon of soda and three teaspoons of white vinegar. Add boiling water - little by little - until full. Screw top on and leave flask on its side for 24 hours.

This thread is about keeping water hot (basically) When watching the wonderful "Passion for Angling" series I fell in love with the idea of having a Kelly Kettle, as demonstrated by Chris Yates, so I bought one. On a trip to the Wye many many years ago with my mates I produced the KK to much derision and laughter. Long story short, it was used just that once but every year since, on our annual barbel trip, I am asked if I've brought the Kelly Kettle! I may just surprise them and take it this year!!

I’ve been following a thread on The Pikers Pit regarding flasks.And it seems that Stanley flasks are not as good these days as they were 10 years ago.People that have had them for years really rate them,then those that have bought them recently say they are only average.
Dare I say probably made in China now on the cheap.
The Thermos King flask was by some said to be very good.And that’s what I shall be buying on their recommendations.

Another vote for the Themos King. True, it’s only 1.2l and I only fill it with boiling water, but I do enjoy hot, fresh tea throughout the session. Half a dozen teabags and sufficient milk take up very little room. Ps, Sainsburys often have them for around £17( Ringwood Hants did last week). The tall, handleless travel beaker from the same range is also excellent. My angling buddies have also bought both after my endorsements.

I’ve been following a thread on The Pikers Pit regarding flasks.And it seems that Stanley flasks are not as good these days as they were 10 years ago.People that have had them for years really rate them,then those that have bought them recently say they are only average.
Dare I say probably made in China now on the cheap.
The Thermos King flask was by some said to be very good.And that’s what I shall be buying on their recommendations.
I Love my “king”. It just works…..
There’s nothing more annoying when stats get promoted yet more often than not, the reality is quite different

How often do we accept,,,, no actually….how often are we really pleased when a product almost achieves what is written on the bloody side of it.
It’s madness, we know they are telling us lies yet we are happy if it comes somewhere near.

This car does 80 mpg on average,
This battery lasts for 6 hours on a single charge, water resistant, scratch resistant, corrosion resistant. 🤦‍♂️

You can only imagine the sheer excitement when you crack open the seal on the thermos king in the morning after a full 24 hours
pour out its last cup full and it’s still hot enough to drink.
Awesome……. And rare nowadays

Back