• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Flask recs please

Steve Lewis

My trusty old Zojirushi flask has given up the ghost (I say given up the ghost, I actually dropped it and now there's a crack running almost the full length of the internal container). Before I get another of the same make, I thought I'd ask if there are any others I should be looking at. My only requirement (aside from decent thermal and leak proof capabilities) is that it has to be a minimum of 1.3l, preferably larger (I get through a LOT of tea on my fishing trips).

Also, I don't mind paying a premium for a really decent one that, in theory, is going to last a lifetime.

My trusty old Zojirushi flask has given up the ghost (I say given up the ghost, I actually dropped it and now there's a crack running almost the full length of the internal container). Before I get another of the same make, I thought I'd ask if there are any others I should be looking at. My only requirement (aside from decent thermal and leak proof capabilities) is that it has to be a minimum of 1.3l, preferably larger (I get through a LOT of tea on my fishing trips).

Also, I don't mind paying a premium for a really decent one that, in theory, is going to last a lifetime.
Stanley flask`s always come our BEST in the tests and in this case you do get what you pay for just get a Stanley

Keeps 32 Hours Hot or Cold​

Last edited:
Thermos King for me too. Bounced and rolled around in the back of my van for about ten years and still good. pre-heated with hot water before filling With hot chocolate or milky coffee and it stays hot for 24hrs. A happy coincidence is that the handle rings align perfectly With the carabiner clips on my Korum back Pack so it clips nicely onto the outside of the bag.

I was given a new Stanley one (3/4 litre) for Xmas 2020 and am distinctly underwhelmed with it.

So much so that my fishing mate took pity on me and bought me a tiny Bulin gas stove. Now I can have properly hot drinks - if I can be bothered to carry it…….

TK max. Had loads of Thermos and Stanley flasks in last weekend.

Thermos King for me too. Bounced and rolled around in the back of my van for about ten years and still good. pre-heated with hot water before filling With hot chocolate or milky coffee and it stays hot for 24hrs. A happy coincidence is that the handle rings align perfectly With the carabiner clips on my Korum back Pack so it clips nicely onto the outside of the bag.
Problem with Thermos is they don't go any bigger than 1.2l, which isn't enough for me. Yes, I could get two 1l flasks, but two of those take up more space and are heavier than one 1.9/2l.

Problem with Thermos is they don't go any bigger than 1.2l, which isn't enough for me. Yes, I could get two 1l flasks, but two of those take up more space and are heavier than one 1.9/2l.
1.2 ltr is enough hot drink for a river session for me. And anyhow, I’m usually to busy hauling in lumps to sit around drinking coffee.
….if only.

But yes, you did say 1.3 Lt minimum…..

How do you make your hot chocalate Haydn?
Twinings Swiss for moi. Cadbury’s is crap. Far too sugary sweet. For Christmas my other half bought be some Hotel Chocolat drink, which is nice and fancy it must be said, but you don’t half have to heap it in before it starts to taste like anything. Six heaped teaspoons per mug so a flask is going to require about twenty spoons of the stuff.

I've bought all types of flasks over the years, and any that did not have a "proper" evacuated glass inner did not keep liquid hot for long enough and they've all been binned. Stainless steel ones with insulated jackets, many types, all cr#p.

I have three Thermos 1.2 litre "proper" flasks one of which goes in my fishing bag, and for a longer session/journey I have a larger Thermos Vogue 1.8 litre "proper" flask that stays in the van for top-ups

So I just googled the large one and found it was now reckoned to be "vintage/retro" and can come with a daft price tag.

Twinings Swiss for moi.
Thanks Haydn - I'll give it a go as I was at school with Twining.

I was sent this for Christmas (don't look up the price).

Ancient + Brave cacao and collagen blend 250g

Ingredients
Organic raw cacao , Organic cocoa , Bovine collagen , Organic beetroot , Organic cinnamon ,Organic carob , Organic Siberian ginseng ,Organic baobab , Pink Himalayan salt.
All of the organic ingredients are certified by the Soil Association.

(don't look up the price).

Ancient + Brave cacao and collagen blend 250g
Chuffin Nora! How the other half live.

I did once buy some other stuff that came in a tin, (Sainsbury’s, I think) rather like a metal Kilner jar. Labelled Spanish Hot chocolate. If you’ve ever had the proper stuff in Madrid you’ll know it’s treacle thick , like drinking hot melted chocolate. For a chocolate fiend like me it’s glorious. The tinned version was a pale imitation, it must be said. Consistency was ok but taste wasn’t quite the same. Might have to get another tin though.

I can only drink coffee or chocolate from a flask. Tea tastes rank, or at least it does from any flask I’ve drunk it from.

Chuffin Nora! How the other half live.

I did once buy some other stuff that came in a tin, (Sainsbury’s, I think) rather like a metal Kilner jar. Labelled Spanish Hot chocolate. If you’ve ever had the proper stuff in Madrid you’ll know it’s treacle thick , like drinking hot melted chocolate. For a chocolate fiend like me it’s glorious. The tinned version was a pale imitation, it must be said. Consistency was ok but taste wasn’t quite the same. Might have to get another tin though.

I can only drink coffee or chocolate from a flask. Tea tastes rank, or at least it does from any flask I’ve drunk it from.
I can heartily recommend Marimba Melt hot choc. Not cheap, and probably not for a 1l flask given how much they recommend to use per cup/mug, but it's superb stuff.

Back