• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Flask recs please

That's a good vid, BUT as a hot chocolate lover I'm seeing WATER and MILK POWDER and crying into my mug of premium hot choc made with (proper) milk.

Last edited:
Just back from 2 weeks in Tenerife and there was hot chocolate on tap every morning at breakfast, it was so thick the spoon almost stood up in it, YUM!

Just back from 2 weeks in Tenerife and there was hot chocolate on tap every morning at breakfast, it was so thick the spoon almost stood up in it, YUM!
Yes, that’s the stuff. And it must be served with churros. Heart attack breakfast, but knocks a full English into a cocked hat.
That's a good vid, BUT as a hot chocolate lover I'm seeing WATER and MILK POWDER and crying into my mug of premium hot choc made with (proper) milk.
It’s plain wrong isn’t it. Like those people who think they’re barbecuing using gas.

Stanley flasks are a bit like Marmite, you love em or hate em..
I was bought one some years ago, after reading glowing reports I suggested it.

Worst thing I ever did.. they are / were not vacuum flasks as I know it, they are , or at least were filled with a carbon compound that was supposed to be as efficient as a vacuum.
You could probably jack a car up on one, but as far as keeping liquids hot I think an Ice cream tub would be better .

I took it back to the retailer , he did not believe me, so we did a test and yes, it was just below rubbish on the scale of 1 to 10.

He refunded me . Maybe they have improved since the above experience . For me once bitten twice shy.

I now have a stainless steel thermos, in fact I have 3 of different sizes, each is over 7 years old, easily obtainable and these days cheap as chips. Fill with boiling water for ten mins , then empty it and pour in the scalding hot drink of your choice,cap screwed on and then I put the flask in a home made “flask Muff “ . I avoid the flasks with a push button top, After the Stanley episode I bought one of them and it leaked like a sieve .Screw on pour through without fully removing the cap for me.

I use mine when fishing on winter beaches, where my box is on the sand, which sucks any heat from anything during the winter , flask in muff in box and keeps drinks hot for anything up to 12 hours, I have had drinks warm enough left in the flask when returning home after being filled 15 hours earlier .

Dave

Stanley flasks are a bit like Marmite, you love em or hate em..
I was bought one some years ago, after reading glowing reports I suggested it.

Worst thing I ever did.. they are / were not vacuum flasks as I know it, they are , or at least were filled with a carbon compound that was supposed to be as efficient as a vacuum.
You could probably jack a car up on one, but as far as keeping liquids hot I think an Ice cream tub would be better .

I took it back to the retailer , he did not believe me, so we did a test and yes, it was just below rubbish on the scale of 1 to 10.

He refunded me . Maybe they have improved since the above experience . For me once bitten twice shy.

I now have a stainless steel thermos, in fact I have 3 of different sizes, each is over 7 years old, easily obtainable and these days cheap as chips. Fill with boiling water for ten mins , then empty it and pour in the scalding hot drink of your choice,cap screwed on and then I put the flask in a home made “flask Muff “ . I avoid the flasks with a push button top, After the Stanley episode I bought one of them and it leaked like a sieve .Screw on pour through without fully removing the cap for me.

I use mine when fishing on winter beaches, where my box is on the sand, which sucks any heat from anything during the winter , flask in muff in box and keeps drinks hot for anything up to 12 hours, I have had drinks warm enough left in the flask when returning home after being filled 15 hours earlier .

Dave
Fnarr, "muff".

I only EVER fill my thermos king with boiling water, that way, i have multiple options, coffee with coffee mate, various flavours of cup-a-soup, or even the food of the devil, A POT NOODLE 👹

I only EVER fill my thermos king with boiling water, that way, i have multiple options, coffee with coffee mate, various flavours of cup-a-soup, or even the food of the devil, A POT NOODLE 👹
Same here….not hot enough for tea IMO but great for the coffee dripper. Plus bonus of only using hot water is you never need to wash it👍

Joking apart though, if you do this and live in a hard water area you need to descale (or use filtered water) otherwise it really affects efficiency after a while

Yes, that’s the stuff. And it must be served with churros. Heart attack breakfast, but knocks a full English into a cocked hat.

It’s plain wrong isn’t it. Like those people who think they’re barbecuing using gas.
Or making a brew without a Kelly Kettle :p

Try one of these ….makes superb coffee
AeroPress
C9212324-3658-44B8-8537-B885FCEBC474.png

C9212324-3658-44B8-8537-B885FCEBC474.png

Wow if there was ever a thread to show the total diversity of Bfw its this one.
We started off with flasks,that was fine,then moved on to Spanish organic drinking chocolate.I’m afraid i was starting to lose interest then, but it was ok because it was brought back down to my level by mention of the good old pot noodle.
Shot straight over my head in the end tho with a mini portable espresso .Im off to bed now with the beginnings of a migraine cos thats just done me in , and i mix with the so called Hampshire avon gentry . Wow

Wow if there was ever a thread to show the total diversity of Bfw its this one.
We started off with flasks,that was fine,then moved on to Spanish organic drinking chocolate.I’m afraid i was starting to lose interest then, but it was ok because it was brought back down to my level by mention of the good old pot noodle.
Shot straight over my head in the end tho with a mini portable espresso .Im off to bed now with the beginnings of a migraine cos thats just done me in , and i mix with the so called Hampshire avon gentry . Wow

Whats ya favourite flavour Bob ?

Mine is curry, with an added spoonful of my own curry blend to spice it up a bit. 👍

My Curry Blend

8 x garam masala
6 x paprika
4 x madras
4 x hot chili powder
4 x cayanne
3 x turmeric
3 x tikka
3 x tandoori
3 x cumin
3 x corriander
2 x garlic powder
2 x ginger
2 x kashmiri
1 x white pepper
1 x onion powder
1 x sriracha

not for the faint hearted, and took me years to perfect, but by golly was it worth it. 🥰

Mine is curry, with an added spoonful of my own curry blend to spice it up a bit. 👍

My Curry Blend

8 x garam masala
6 x paprika
4 x madras
4 x hot chili powder
4 x cayanne
3 x turmeric
3 x tikka
3 x tandoori
3 x cumin
3 x corriander
2 x garlic powder
2 x ginger
2 x kashmiri
1 x white pepper
1 x onion powder
1 x sriracha

not for the faint hearted, and took me years to perfect, but by golly was it worth it. 🥰
Sorry Derek being a boring bugger just chicken and mushroom for me .Rescued me a few times from blanking ,especially in winter ,by recharging me to stay a bit longer.
I take a jetboil and smallish water container myself.
That spice mix is something else mate .Really gonna have to get to bed now , my left eye has started to bleed . 😊

My Curry Blend

8 x garam masala
6 x paprika
4 x madras
4 x hot chili powder
4 x cayanne
3 x turmeric
3 x tikka
3 x tandoori
3 x cumin
3 x corriander
2 x garlic powder
2 x ginger
2 x kashmiri
1 x white pepper
1 x onion powder
1 x sriracha

Get it on your spam mate,barbel wont be able to resist 😉

I have used the Thermos Ultimate Series flask for several years now. Not big enough for Steve at 900 or 500ml, but they keep drinks very hot for at least 12 hours. They carry a 5 year guarantee and at about £30 are very good value.
I have a Nespresso machine at home, so use three capsules to make enough good coffee for a fishing session.

I got the Thermos Ultimate last week and I'm impressed with it. It was £22 to my door with a 10% discount when I signed up to their mailing list and used the discount code THERMOS10. They only have the silver one left.

Not exactly what the OP was looking for but thought it was worth the heads up..

https://thermos.co.uk/ultimate-flask-900ml

Although I found the claims to keep hot things hot and cold things cold for 24 hours wrong. I put two cups off coffee and a choc-ice in and it did nether. (the old ones are the best)

Last edited:
My trusty old Zojirushi flask has given up the ghost (I say given up the ghost, I actually dropped it and now there's a crack running almost the full length of the internal container). Before I get another of the same make, I thought I'd ask if there are any others I should be looking at. My only requirement (aside from decent thermal and leak proof capabilities) is that it has to be a minimum of 1.3l, preferably larger (I get through a LOT of tea on my fishing trips).

Also, I don't mind paying a premium for a really decent one that, in theory, is going to last a lifetime.
Had a Zojirushi for many years - great flask - until I did the same as you did and dropped it got a new one last year - still great

Back