• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing officially permitted

View attachment 13730
and here lies the obvious problem...... 2 completely different views of what is and isn’t “local” niether one of them is wrong but both give different advice! I’m with Jon. 12 miles is nothing to me. Pretty much on my doorstep but considering my job puts 50,000 miles a year on my car an hours drive is a local blast up the road to someone like me.
However.......to some people an hours drive is check the car levels, pack some supplies and make sure the spare tyre is good....... oh has every one being for a wee and should we fill her right up because it’s a long way!

should of been done with a clear mileage limit from the start. That way opinions on local don’t matter. Size of your village, town or city doesn’t matter. 1 rule for and all, goose and gander n all that.
If you ride a bike distance is nothing according to Boris and deputy mayor of London who rode her bike all around London doing the monopoly board,do as I say and not what I do springs to mind

Does anyone on here actually ride a bike? Lockdown class distinction that has taken hold!

This article may help those still confused. Seems pretty straightforward to me, stay as local as possible. If you push the boundaries, get caught and you're all over the national press you'll be doing your fellow anglers a great disservice.

Thanks for posting that Gavin. Interesting reading up to a point. However, I fear that Martin Salter has got his numbers wrong. I refer to his statement, and I quote him here, "But as is sadly the case in the general population there is a small proportion of the angling community who have taken advantage of the platform provided by social media to display staggering levels of stupidity and ignorance. Last year is now confirmed as the deadliest in England and Wales since the height of the flu pandemic in 1918. More than 608,000 deaths were recorded, with 81,653 attributable to coronavirus, according to new figures released by the Office for National Statistics".

On a quick search on the ONS site I didn't find the total number of UK deaths for 2020. Mr Salter states 608,000 UK deaths (rounded up?) for 2020. I'll take his word on that. Indeed tragic. However, the previous years were as follows:
2019 604707 deaths source ONS
2018 616014 deaths source ONS
2017 607172 deaths source ONS
2016 597206 deaths source ONS
2015 602782 deaths source ONS
Taking an average over those 6 years gives us an average UK deaths per year of 605,980 (c.606,000). So it's apparent that 2020, was not, as Mr Salter states, "the deadliest year since the 1918 flu pandemic". Just going back to 2018 there were higher deaths registered at 616,014. Nor indeed is 608,000 a massive spike on the average of 606,000 over the previous 6 years. I know. I have too much time on my hands😁.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that Gavin. Interesting reading up to a point. However, I fear that Martin Salter has got his numbers wrong. I refer to his statement, and I quote him here, "But as is sadly the case in the general population there is a small proportion of the angling community who have taken advantage of the platform provided by social media to display staggering levels of stupidity and ignorance. Last year is now confirmed as the deadliest in England and Wales since the height of the flu pandemic in 1918. More than 608,000 deaths were recorded, with 81,653 attributable to coronavirus, according to new figures released by the Office for National Statistics".

On a quick search on the ONS site I didn't find the total number of UK deaths for 2020. Mr Salter states 608,000 UK deaths (rounded up?) for 2020. I'll take his word on that. Indeed tragic. However, the previous years were as follows:
2019 604707 deaths source ONS
2018 616014 deaths source ONS
2017 607172 deaths source ONS
2016 597206 deaths source ONS
2015 602782 deaths source ONS
Taking an average over those 6 years gives us an average UK deaths per year of 605,980 (c.606,000). So it's apparent that 2020, was not, as Mr Salter states, "the deadliest year since the 1918 flu pandemic". Just going back to 2018 there were higher deaths registered at 616,014. Nor indeed is 608,000 a massive spike on the average of 606,000 over the previous 6 years. I know. I have too much time on my hands😁.
The figure you have from Mr Salter is England and Wales figure. The previous years figures are UK?

As Damian said, England and Wales:
2019 530,841 deaths, source ONS
2018 541,589 deaths, source ONS

The BBC reported just a few days ago that 2020 saw the most deaths since WWII. It repoted that there were close to 697,000 deaths in 2020 - nearly 85,000 more than would be expected based on the average in the previous five years.
This represents an increase of 14% - making it the largest rise in excess deaths for more than 75 years.
When the age and size of the population is taken into account, 2020 saw the worst death rates since the 2000s.
This measure - known as age-standardised mortality - takes into account population growth and age.

At a time when the UK (and in particular the NHS) is facing an unprecedented crisis with rising infections of COVID-19 (roughly 60,000+ new infections per day), rising deaths due to COVID-19 (around 1,000+ per day) and over 35,000 patients currently hospitalised with COVID-19, I find it morally reprehensible that the Angling Trust has lobbied for angling to continue during Lockdown 3. With over 80% of new COVID-19 cases said by scientists to be attributed to a new UK variant which appears to be 50-70% more easily transmissible, surely the only right thing to do is to follow recommended guidelines and stay at home. I feel that the AT at this time should have fully supported the Government’s restrictions and then once again campaign for a return for angling as and when the threat from COVID-19 lessened, especially with the promise of mass vaccination likely to improve the situation over the coming months. That would seem to be a reasonable response for an organisation that purports to have the welfare of angling and anglers at its core. I appreciate that the Angling Trust have advised anglers to fish locally (ambiguous advice at best), but surely they are not that naïve to believe that all anglers will follow that advice, our already over-stretched police forces up and down the country could well do without stopping and checking anglers to see how far they have travelled to a venue.
I am also acutely aware of the importance of angling on peoples mental health at the present, but we are being asked to forego angling for a couple of months, whereas other members of our society are losing their livelihood and in some cases their lives.
I have been a member of the Angling Trust since its inception, before that I was a member of both the ACA and NASA (and formerly NASG). Over the years I have actively encouraged friends to join the Angling Trust because of the good that has been achieved by them in the past, but I will not renew my membership in the future as I feel that they are no longer the organisation that I joined and have now lost their way.

The BBC reported just a few days ago that 2020 saw the most deaths since WWII. It repoted that there were close to 697,000 deaths in 2020 - nearly 85,000 more than would be expected based on the average in the previous five years.
This represents an increase of 14% - making it the largest rise in excess deaths for more than 75 years.
When the age and size of the population is taken into account, 2020 saw the worst death rates since the 2000s.
This measure - known as age-standardised mortality - takes into account population growth and age.
I am not sure where the BBC are obtaining their numbers from as the ONS have not reported the UK death numbers for 2020 just yet. They maybe on the ONS site somewhere but I can't see them. Researching on the ONS website it appears that the previous years UK deaths are not reported until halfway through the following year. So the numbers for 2020 not being there makes sense. Obviously UK total numbers are preferable, as it gives us a bigger picture as to exactly how bad the situation is, and not just government spin.

Last edited:
I am not sure where the BBC are obtaining their numbers from as the ONS have not reported the UK death numbers for 2020 just yet. They maybe on the ONS site somewhere but I can't see them. Researching on the ONS website it appears that the previous years UK deaths are not reported until halfway through the following year. So the numbers for 2020 not being there makes sense. Obviously UK total numbers are preferable, as it gives us a bigger picture as to exactly how bad the situation is, and not just government spin.
From the BBC website from 5 days ago

At a time when the UK (and in particular the NHS) is facing an unprecedented crisis with rising infections of COVID-19 (roughly 60,000+ new infections per day), rising deaths due to COVID-19 (around 1,000+ per day) and over 35,000 patients currently hospitalised with COVID-19, I find it morally reprehensible that the Angling Trust has lobbied for angling to continue during Lockdown 3. With over 80% of new COVID-19 cases said by scientists to be attributed to a new UK variant which appears to be 50-70% more easily transmissible, surely the only right thing to do is to follow recommended guidelines and stay at home. I feel that the AT at this time should have fully supported the Government’s restrictions and then once again campaign for a return for angling as and when the threat from COVID-19 lessened, especially with the promise of mass vaccination likely to improve the situation over the coming months. That would seem to be a reasonable response for an organisation that purports to have the welfare of angling and anglers at its core. I appreciate that the Angling Trust have advised anglers to fish locally (ambiguous advice at best), but surely they are not that naïve to believe that all anglers will follow that advice, our already over-stretched police forces up and down the country could well do without stopping and checking anglers to see how far they have travelled to a venue.
I am also acutely aware of the importance of angling on peoples mental health at the present, but we are being asked to forego angling for a couple of months, whereas other members of our society are losing their livelihood and in some cases their lives.
I have been a member of the Angling Trust since its inception, before that I was a member of both the ACA and NASA (and formerly NASG). Over the years I have actively encouraged friends to join the Angling Trust because of the good that has been achieved by them in the past, but I will not renew my membership in the future as I feel that they are no longer the organisation that I joined and have now lost their way.

I guess that is your prerogative but I know two people that are clinically extremely vulnerable and they suffered pretty terribly in the first lockdown. I know people that have died also, and people that have had it and survived so am aware that the risk is very real.
Sorry for stating the obvious however, but COVID-19 is transmitted via close human contact, and to me solitary angling presents literally nil risk as long as if you do need to use facilities used by others you follow guidance.
For some like yourself perhaps angling now is simply you being able to continue, for others it could be a necessity that could keep at bay a spell of clinical depression!
There is a balance to be struck in terms of the restrictions and its effects on the economy, and on the health and well being of the general population, which is why at every lockdown permission has been given to leave our homes for exercise.
I think the government are doing a good job of finding that balance personally.

I guess that is your prerogative but I know two people that are clinically extremely vulnerable and they suffered pretty terribly in the first lockdown. I know people that have died also, and people that have had it and survived so am aware that the risk is very real.
Sorry for stating the obvious however, but COVID-19 is transmitted via close human contact, and to me solitary angling presents literally nil risk as long as if you do need to use facilities used by others you follow guidance.
For some like yourself perhaps angling now is simply you being able to continue, for others it could be a necessity that could keep at bay a spell of clinical depression!
There is a balance to be struck in terms of the restrictions and its effects on the economy, and on the health and well being of the general population, which is why at every lockdown permission has been given to leave our homes for exercise.
I think the government are doing a good job of finding that balance personally.
Actually, I care for my wife who suffers from severe COPD and is categorised as extremely clinically vulnerable to COVID-19 and is advised to shield, so I am very aware of the risks and hardship involved. As such, the chance to have a few hours angling would be very beneficial to my mental and physical health, but I feel at this time it is not safe to do so. Yes, COVID-19 is said to be transmissible by close human contact, but there are always risks with any travel, however small.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand your position Steve and it sounds like it hasn't been easy for you or your wife. I hope the both of you are able to get the vaccination soon to relieve the worry of this pandemic.

After reading the catch reports in this weeks Angling Times i was left a bit disappointed to see a couple of familiar faces who have decided that 30 to 40 miles is their interpretation of Local.
It seems that even during a national Pandemic some people seem to care more about maintaining their angling profiles than exercising any common sense or following any rules.
As i said disappointing, but not a big surprise .

Does anyone on here actually ride a bike? Lockdown class distinction that has taken hold!

Yes! 😅 I have a 14 mile ride from my door and back that encompasses 3 local club ponds. Takes me about an hour or so and is a nice countryside ride. Handy for checking if ponds are iced over and perhaps handy if I happen to have a small bag of boilies in my back pack ;);)😂

Back