• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing officially permitted

Realistically my closest water is 18 miles away, 25 minutes largely motorway.
Had to visit a garage nearby there today, who are open . My journey was easily necessary because without it I couldn't drive anywhere to buy food because I'd had a windscreen wiper malfunction. Lucky it wasn't raining.
There were no checks, no checkpoints and frankly I don't think the Police are willing to participate in any sort of citizen control unless specifically instructed.
I had some behind me at a junction today and they appeared more interested in their lunch than harassing the public.
I'd love to be travelling down to the Avon and Itchen for the spring Salmon March onwards. I doubt it will be a problem but I'll stay local until the coarse season ends. April I'll be down there, come what may.
The Avon in spring is wonderful.

Last edited:
I fish three waters at 52, 65 and 135 miles distance, so I'll not be wetting a line - last trip was October.

Doubtful for the river as it’s 60 mile round trip , got couple of local waters so off pike fishing if the club I’m in allows this

All anglers should be members of the Angling Trust. They do an excellent job of representing our sport to Government on a very limited budget. They only have around 17000 individual members out of well over a million of us. For less than the cost of a cheap club book (£29). Yes, that's all! You may not agree with everything that they do (I certainly don't) but they try their best and in the case of the covid crisis they have done an amazing job. They are better organized now than they have ever been under the leadership of Jamie Cook. Get your hands in your wallets. After all you can't go to the pub or out for a meal.

Not sure what the golfers will make of this move by the Govt. Arguably, an 18 hole round of golf is far more exercise than most anglers achieve - particularly those with their car parked next to the swim they are fishing - and I can see a major backlash coming, particularly if some interpret local as being anywhere in England...

I think it would be capricious to believe that all anglers will abide by the local restriction and this will all end in tears with the AT’s sterling efforts on behalf of anglers being undone by those idiots who feel they can travel long distances for their fishing....

Dave
Hi Dave
I totally agree with what you’ve said there, Iam glad I can still partake in my pursuit locally if I choose
But I know there’s going to be trouble. A golf courses average distance is 3.5 miles and could easily played within the rules of social distancing and is definitely exercise.
I can continue to work within the rules go into peoples house if needed etc.
(Tin hat time) Maybe in the spirt of our unique situation we should now think about a voluntary abstention from our pursuit
Iam ready with my tin hat

Hi Dave
I totally agree with what you’ve said there, Iam glad I can still partake in my pursuit locally if I choose
But I know there’s going to be trouble. A golf courses average distance is 3.5 miles and could easily played within the rules of social distancing and is definitely exercise.
I can continue to work within the rules go into peoples house if needed etc.
(Tin hat time) Maybe in the spirt of our unique situation we should now think about a voluntary abstention from our pursuit
Iam ready with my tin hat

Thanks for that Rob. Unfortunately, I can’t see your idea catching on as there are too many selfish individuals in our sport who would never give up their pastime for the greater good. Don’t forget that to some, COVID is a hoax so why should they be bothered.....

Society today, eh☹️☹️

As usual Dave antagonising posts, if you don't want to fish don't but also don't say others are wrong for having different views. Hopefully one day you will put a positive post on a forum but I doubt that will ever happen.

Not sure what the golfers will make of this move by the Govt. Arguably, an 18 hole round of golf is far more exercise than most anglers achieve - particularly those with their car parked next to the swim they are fishing - and I can see a major backlash coming, particularly if some interpret local as being anywhere in England...

I think it would be capricious to believe that all anglers will abide by the local restriction and this will all end in tears with the AT’s sterling efforts on behalf of anglers being undone by those idiots who feel they can travel long distances for their fishing....

Dave

I take your point about golf offering more exercise, but golfers have to remove a flag on each hole, and pick-up their balls out a small white cup. And if they are anything like me, they also need to use rake on several holes each round.

I fear you might be correct about your last point but hopefully the ban on night fishing will deter many of the idiots.

Anyway, have just received an update on my phone stating that a 'major incident' has been declared in London due to the pressure on the London Hospitals. Other areas will soon follow I fear...:(

On a BBC midlands news item at lunchtime Derbyshire Police were seen turning people away from a country estate park. One man interviewed stated that he had driven 5 miles from his home in order to take his daily exercise. Police said it was too far to travel.

Back