• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing officially permitted

The problem is how far is to far, I consider 10 mile radius for home to be local my son says 5 miles
Should we be restricted to our local area or district, if district is ok I live within the new forest district
and that’s 220sq miles and there’s the problem local has a different meaning for everyone.
A absolute travel limit has to be set so there’s no grey areas, so everyone’s on the same page then if Iam unable to get to my favourite stretch of river or lake that’s fine.

The problem is how far is to far, I consider 10 mile radius for home to be local my son says 5 miles
Should we be restricted to our local area or district, if district is ok I live within the new forest district
and that’s 220sq miles and there’s the problem local has a different meaning for everyone.
A absolute travel limit has to be set so there’s no grey areas, so everyone’s on the same page then if Iam unable to get to my favourite stretch of river or lake that’s fine.
have 2 cards Albert and Ribchester anglers for the ribble closest to my house about 45 mile round trip but prefer to fish up stream so adding about 15 to 20 miles . also have the Buton maa card for the Dove 154 mile round trip thats were i would be at the weekends till end of season .do i fish the Ribble or stay at home

I don’t live too far from you it appears, people I know from some cities would consider 5 miles far from home, where as for many in the countryside 5 miles is to the local shop.

Trouble is it’s the ol’ thing again. We get a phrase like; local, reasonable or substantial that allows us to use some common sense, I think we can all come to a pretty close consensus as to what the term local means to apply a guild line. Yet instead it attracts criticism. If they were as prescriptive as to say, you can only travel 5 miles there would be contention about whether 5.01 miles is ok, hell I’m sure there would be arguments about whether it was upto or including the 5.0 mile marker. Someone somewhere would be in the Mirror saying they can travel to as it’s 5 miles but the path back is five point one and therefore they can’t travel home. Some of it is for political points and some I’m sure is just moaning.

Well, we obviously now know that local is less than 5 miles in the eyes of the police...

As I live near Southampton, I shan’t be fishing the HA or the Dorset Stour until the lockdown is relaxed but can still fish a couple of lakes and a stretch of a small river that are within a mile of my house, so not all bad.

Dave

I don’t live too far from you it appears, people I know from some cities would consider 5 miles far from home, where as for many in the countryside 5 miles is to the local shop.

Trouble is it’s the ol’ thing again. We get a phrase like; local, reasonable or substantial that allows us to use some common sense, I think we can all come to a pretty close consensus as to what the term local means to apply a guild line. Yet instead it attracts criticism. If they were as prescriptive as to say, you can only travel 5 miles there would be contention about whether 5.01 miles is ok, hell I’m sure there would be arguments about whether it was upto or including the 5.0 mile marker. Someone somewhere would be in the Mirror saying they can travel to as it’s 5 miles but the path back is five point one and therefore they can’t travel home. Some of it is for political points and some I’m sure is just moaning.

Good point Stephen.

Thanks to the Angling Trust I watched this today instead of the inside of the house
👍
6A9C942C-D2E6-4D34-A1CD-550A78BB5D6F.jpeg

Bonus! The tip kept going and I had some nice chub on bread out of a couple of swims. River looks great and I’m lucky it’s just down the road so I’ll be able to make the most of my favourite time of year on the river.

At FAQs today - local means local...

Only local travel is permitted for the purpose of daily exercise as set out in the Government’s travel guidance here

This specifies the ‘local area’ – ie. town, village or part of the city in which you live. However, there is a recognition that there will be a need to travel for outdoor exercise. This should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel a short distance within your area to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space).

Anglers will need to apply commonsense and judgement in defining their local area rather than fixating on parish boundaries. A lake or river in a neighbouring parish may well be closer than one on the other side of the same town. In short, you should be fishing your nearest available waters.

If you have no local fishing available then you will have to take your daily exercise in other ways.

Well, we obviously now know that local is less than 5 miles in the eyes of the police...

As I live near Southampton, I shan’t be fishing the HA or the Dorset Stour until the lockdown is relaxed but can still fish a couple of lakes and a stretch of a small river that are within a mile of my house, so not all bad.

Dave
Always the itchen.

The Angling Trusts update on fishing during the new ‘lockdown’, was following, further lobbying, discussion and debate; Angling is now to be allowed, with certain specific and general restrictions (some backed by the new laws).

As I only came back to angling in 2017, I’d never heard of the Angling Trust. But as a life member of the ACA and my association with NFA (through multiple club memberships). With some previous experience (back in the day) as an Angling Educator/Influencer, on Fish Handling and Conservation and Anti-Littering, I’ve been looking into them as an organisation.

Angling always was and still is, a very broad, disparate and disaggregated pastime, sport, pursuit and outdoor activity. Angling in many ways and at some levels is highly regulated, but in others, it’s an unenforceable free for all; attempting to ‘manage’ it must be like ‘herding’ cats, whilst wrestling an octopus! Therefore, in these times of changing, sanitised, public perceptions, about what offends them or they find acceptable (lack of tolerance and no platforming), with the battles over pollution, extraction and conservation ongoing. Angling more than ever needs an effective, politically savvy ‘governing body’/Champion.

The decision of whether to fish or not during the pandemic, is not just one for laws, regulation and riparian owners/clubs, it is also one for the individual, given their personal circumstances, situation and judgement. Now the Government and the AT, have given further clarification, it is important that anglers act with responsibility and judgement in exercising our new freedoms.

I think the Angling Trust should be applauded for their work on this (and no doubt) other projects.

Tight Lines and Stay Safe & Sane. Greg.

The Angling Trusts update on fishing during the new ‘lockdown’, was following, further lobbying, discussion and debate; Angling is now to be allowed, with certain specific and general restrictions (some backed by the new laws).

As I only came back to angling in 2017, I’d never heard of the Angling Trust. But as a life member of the ACA and my association with NFA (through multiple club memberships). With some previous experience (back in the day) as an Angling Educator/Influencer, on Fish Handling and Conservation and Anti-Littering, I’ve been looking into them as an organisation.

Angling always was and still is, a very broad, disparate and disaggregated pastime, sport, pursuit and outdoor activity. Angling in many ways and at some levels is highly regulated, but in others, it’s an unenforceable free for all; attempting to ‘manage’ it must be like ‘herding’ cats, whilst wrestling an octopus! Therefore, in these times of changing, sanitised, public perceptions, about what offends them or they find acceptable (lack of tolerance and no platforming), with the battles over pollution, extraction and conservation ongoing. Angling more than ever needs an effective, politically savvy ‘governing body’/Champion.

The decision of whether to fish or not during the pandemic, is not just one for laws, regulation and riparian owners/clubs, it is also one for the individual, given their personal circumstances, situation and judgement. Now the Government and the AT, have given further clarification, it is important that anglers act with responsibility and judgement in exercising our new freedoms.

I think the Angling Trust should be applauded for their work on this (and no doubt) other projects.

Tight Lines and Stay Safe & Sane. Greg.

I could not agree more Greg, great post.

I don't agree with the AT on everything, but I don't believe any of us ever walk into a voting booth on election day in complete agreement with the party we vote for, life just isn't like that, it's always a series of compromises.

Overall they do a great job at representing angling and punch above their weight

Herding cats is an apposite analogy!

Last edited:
The following may help, yesterday 2 women were stopped in Derbyshire after travelling 5 miles (in separate cars) to exercise and were given £200 fixed penalty notices. The Chief constable has issued the following statement this morning and the womens and other fines they issued have been scrapped:

"The guidance said: The covid regulations which officers enforce and which enables them to issue fixed penalty notices for breaches, do not restrict the distance travelled for exercise"
The NPCC added that rather than issue fines for people who travel out of their local area "but are not breaching regulations, officers will encourage people to follow the guidance"

I read this as it isn't a problem to travel as long as you adhere to covid rules when you get there.

The following may help, yesterday 2 women were stopped in Derbyshire after travelling 5 miles (in separate cars) to exercise and were given £200 fixed penalty notices. The Chief constable has issued the following statement this morning and the womens and other fines they issued have been scrapped:

"The guidance said: The covid regulations which officers enforce and which enables them to issue fixed penalty notices for breaches, do not restrict the distance travelled for exercise"
The NPCC added that rather than issue fines for people who travel out of their local area "but are not breaching regulations, officers will encourage people to follow the guidance"

I read this as it isn't a problem to travel as long as you adhere to covid rules when you get there.
Remember the bit about "local" Phil. I think most people would accept we may have to use our cars to go fishing, but the advice is it must be local.

Advice is one thing, regulation another. There are quite a few over zealous coppers about.

have 2 cards Albert and Ribchester anglers for the ribble closest to my house about 45 mile round trip but prefer to fish up stream so adding about 15 to 20 miles . also have the Buton maa card for the Dove 154 mile round trip thats were i would be at the weekends till end of season .do i fish the Ribble or stay at home
I live under the tier of greater Manchester , so I can go anywhere within that area , so the ribble would be out of the question for me as it’s out of my tier .

I live under the tier of greater Manchester , so I can go anywhere within that area , so the ribble would be out of the question for me as it’s out of my tier .
correct pete albert have the douglas just out side of wigan runs no more than a mile from my house at the back of the football ground used to fish there a few years ago .will have to find some maggots as its all small fish

Back