• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

End of an era or dawn for change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Howard, what a strange view of the world you have. I have just had a look back thought this thread, something I rarely do, and all I see is a little Criticism on the way Pope has run the BS..... I see no "highly malicious campaign" or an army of instigators. I see no personal attack on Pope...... I see words on the politics of the BS pretty much as we have all been subject too re the democracy we live in these past weeks. Good word democracy isn't it, one Steve Pope doesn't believe in re the BS.

And, just for the record I have spoke to Pope many times....... I even got a word in edgeways once.

Edit

Mike,

Steve Pope has never done anything to upset me personally, nothing at all, so I have not "suffered" as you put it.

Tony, as I mentioned in my last post, I was referencing not just what has been put on here but also on other forums and FB where the nature and tone of the posts was as described. In fact a thread had to be taken down and a written apology issued. The same thread was started on a number of platforms. That, to my mind, constitutes a "campaign " in this context.

Not having that Howard, you said "highly malicious campaign", now its just a "campaign" is it? Either way you're getting exited over very little. You will have to be a bit steadier if you get to sit in't big chair.

Not having that Howard, you said "highly malicious campaign", now its just a "campaign" is it? Either way you're getting exited over very little. You will have to be a bit steadier if you get to sit in't big chair.

Aren't you? Oh dear and apologies for leaving out a couple of words. For the avoidance of doubt, from henceforth "campaign" is shorthand for "highly malicious campaign".

We will just have to agree to disagree as to whether or not I am "getting exited over very little".

Poor Steve Pope is all I can say..
Being vilified from various angles and for what?
So what if he has been at the front of the BS, hardly a crime..
For goodness sake he like many others just likes fishing for Barbel and thought he would pass on his passion to help the BS..
In my opinion the BS have promoted Barbel fishing over the years and that's about it..
The BS don't hold a gun to anyone's head to join..
Personally I don't think Barbel fishing has improved since the BS was formed but also that's not their fault..
In answer to the thread, do I think the BS is in decline, well I never thought they were big in the first place..
Value for money?, well not in my opinion but that's all it is , Just my opinion..

I started a topic and only made one post in reply to Bob I think on the first page? I left the topic alone being perfectly happy to let anyone interested give their opinions. Then on page 5 I gave my own opinions admitting quite openly that I have always criticised Steve Pope for how he runs the BS. I also stated that in my opinion the BS has had its day. So what do you get the moment you criticise Steve Pope or how the BS is being run?

" Unless your poor ego has been bruised at some point in the past and you have simply struggled to move on with your life.

I find it utterly cowardly to be honest and you and the others conducting themselves on other forums where they have not yet been banned, should be embarrassed by your actions. It shows you all to be nothing more than crass, pathetic bullies."

And that is exactly what you get when you dare to criticise Steve Pope and the BS hierarchy. Insults and insinuations that one is cowardly for airing an opinion!! None of this approach is new of course its been going on for the last 20 years. That's why the BS is in demise and thats why its had its day.

Spend your money on joining that other club or putting it towards that special rod or reel.

Regards,

Lee.

Cowardly?? You would know about that Lee.... Thanks for blocking me from The a River Telegraph page on Facebook..... And all I wanted to do was look at what was being said.
So in the meantime.... Jog on.

I started a topic and only made one post in reply to Bob I think on the first page? I left the topic alone being perfectly happy to let anyone interested give their opinions. Then on page 5 I gave my own opinions admitting quite openly that I have always criticised Steve Pope for how he runs the BS. I also stated that in my opinion the BS has had its day. So what do you get the moment you criticise Steve Pope or how the BS is being run?

" Unless your poor ego has been bruised at some point in the past and you have simply struggled to move on with your life.

I find it utterly cowardly to be honest and you and the others conducting themselves on other forums where they have not yet been banned, should be embarrassed by your actions. It shows you all to be nothing more than crass, pathetic bullies."

And that is exactly what you get when you dare to criticise Steve Pope and the BS hierarchy. Insults and insinuations that one is cowardly for airing an opinion!! None of this approach is new of course its been going on for the last 20 years. That's why the BS is in demise and thats why its had its day.

Spend your money on joining that other club or putting it towards that special rod or reel.

Regards,

Lee.

Yes Lee, you posted twice on the first page and made your views very clear on the subject of Steve and the BS. You later sought to speak out on behalf of Rich Frampton and others, referencing the treatment handed out to all of them by Steve. Rich and Tony are members on here of course so could, presumably, speak up for themselves. Steve Pope is not. That aside, why is it not OK for me and others to defend Steve and the BS, but OK for you to defend the likes of Rich and Tony?

It's unbelievably petty this but I remain of the view that starting threads (on here and elsewhere) fundamentally attacking an individual, dressing it up as some exercise in healthy debate, is deeply unpleasant. Especially when to many, it's hard to identify the actual crimes committed that would warrant such an act.

And to be clear once again- I would take this view whoever the thread was aimed at. It's a point of principle based around good and decent conduct whether in person or on social media.

My last post crossed with Rich's.

Amazing Lee. On page 5 of this thread you talk about how saddened you are at the treatment handed out to Rich by the BS hierarchy and then you block him from an FB page that you run? For, apparently, viewing the content of threads.

So how does that reconcile to the spirit of democracy that is seemingly so important to you? And I must confess to not knowing about this River Telegraph FB page. Are we perhaps getting a little bit closer to the motives behind the threads you started concerning the BS?

Hi Howard.... Hope all is well and the rod bends well...
I think I need to put some facts right here..... My disappointment with Steve was purely to the lack of support when I came up against the wall caused by another committee member( mods...I am being very careful so give me a chance).
At the time I felt let down and I am still bitter about it..... However, my bitterness is not aimed at Steve as a person, Steve is Steve.... He is as he is....but when I really needed some backing I didn't get it.... Is that a reason to lose him as a friend....hell no.... Life is too short. One thing I did not want to happen was for my experiences to be used by others for their own interests... Anyway..... Life goes on.... Good luck and keep at it..... I wish what I had to offer was taken up by all.... Instead the poxy attitude of just one screwed it up totally.

Richard. The RT is a public group anyone can see what is being said? Or that's what I thought?

You were on RT before but chose to remove yourself because you didn't like something or other. Your choice and nothing to do with me.

Now with your comment of;

"Cowardly?? You would know about that Lee.... Thanks for blocking me from The a River Telegraph page on Facebook..... And all I wanted to do was look at what was being said.
So in the meantime.... Jog on."

There is a reason why you are not being allowed in. A clue in case you are struggling, is the type of post you made above. The type of post you were all too familiar with making when you were part of the BS hierarchy. I don't tolerate people like you. Thats either on the internet or face to face. And wasn't it you who was calling for me to be banned from the BS FB page? Now you are bleating to everyone who will listen about this or that whinging on about your time in the BS. Like Tony said, you were warned.

What comes around goes around and you just got a dose of your own medicine melado.

Oh and The River a Telegraph page,according to a mate, is supposed to be an open page so if you can't see it you have been blocked.

I haven't ever been able to see the page??? Let alone be on it... :D
Just read your post again.... That sums it up then.... I was never on there because you do not want to be put on the spot..... Mods...get your delete button ready...... ####

Hi Howard.... Hope all is well and the rod bends well...
I think I need to put some facts right here..... My disappointment with Steve was purely to the lack of support when I came up against the wall caused by another committee member( mods...I am being very careful so give me a chance).
At the time I felt let down and I am still bitter about it..... However, my bitterness is not aimed at Steve as a person, Steve is Steve.... He is as he is....but when I really needed some backing I didn't get it.... Is that a reason to lose him as a friend....hell no.... Life is too short. One thing I did not want to happen was for my experiences to be used by others for their own interests... Anyway..... Life goes on.... Good luck and keep at it..... I wish what I had to offer was taken up by all.... Instead the poxy attitude of just one screwed it up totally.

Thanks for that Rich. I have sought to avoid detailed discussions about Steve because it's none of my business at the end of the day and it's certainly not my place to judge the rights or wrongs of any disagreements that may have taken place in years gone by. And I wholeheartedly agree with your life is too short attitude. But I am not one to stand by and watch what looks like a major personal attack on an individual- not just on here but other forums and FB. I did actually look in on The River Telegraph FB page and for the life of me, when taken with what's been said here and elsewhere, it's hard to fathom why this small group of people are prepared to pour so much energy and bitterness into dialogue based around a person they don't think anything of, an organisation apparently on the cusp of death and all in relation to events that took place yonks ago. But maybe I am missing something.

I also couldn't help but notice that one prominent poster on the River Telegraph FB page, joining in with the general Steve Pope kicking then at the same time, dropping in on the BS FB page offering Steve help and assistance in relation to the spawning survey. Quite incredible.

Whatever happened to integrity and basic common decency. Quite depressing.

Hilarious, absolutely hilarious..:D:D:D:D
Mods please don't stop this, its the funniest thing that's been on BFW for some time...:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D.

You would love it Graham, you can share the saga of estrangement from folks on the other side of the world, how hard the BS Chairman works and how hard it really is being in charge of such a national organisation....... Ooo the stress!

Rich, stop bleating man, its not the end of the world.... Howard is just as you were back in the day, but a tad brighter. :)

Edit, Looks like the Blues have it. :)

Well i think we should wait till we hear what has to be said from the BS at the show or after the show and then make our minds up as to what we are each going to do. More help for youngsters has got to be a good thing plus the R&C work, I hope that the announcements inspire me enough to rejoin again after many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back