• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Elips pellet - preferred stockists

In a nutshell mate I've got old fat and bored with barbel, half the time I'm there I'm kipped out in the back of Mytinbivy as you well know. The rest of the time I'm drinking tea or up the pub.
Now give me a proper challenge like a Devonian tench and I can catch with the best of them.
Except for when I'm down the Maltings watching someone who should know better make a fool of himself and going home in a seperate taxi to his lovely wife.:D

How very dare you...................she's still not speaking to me...........

Cliff keeping in mind if they ain't about the best bait in the world won't catch.i have used ellips but never thought they were a wonder bait.they have stopped doing them for the uk market in Norway.that should speak volumes about the demand for them.ho I nearly forgot.last season I had 3barbel over 8lb from the tiny Dane on 2 8mm. Trout pellets glued back to back in very heavy water
How they found them I don't know
Albert

I agree confidence is important, my experience is very positive on the Kennet, Teme, wye, Severn so although I regualarly use meat and a variety of boilies ellipse are my go to bait.

Elips Pellet Production

I realise that it's been a while since the flurry of posts re. the above. However, I felt that now is the time that I ought to clarify the situation (as I had already tried to do back in January!)with regard to the production of these pellets by their parent company, EWOS, who are based in Scotland.

Just to reiterate: the FINAL production run of Elips pellets took place earlier this year and those companies that supply them (the ONLY two now): Hinders and Sonu Baits have already placed their (final) orders for the coming season. I know this because not only did I receive an e-mailed notification from EWOS explaining their decision to discontinue (as a one-time buyer of Elips for my own tackle shop until November 2010, I still continued to receive annual 'fish pellet price increase' messages), but I have since been in touch with both Hinders and Sonu subsequently to see if either of them had come up with an option to maintain a supply of this (to me and quite a number of other concerned users) very successful barbel attractor.

Sadly the response by the main man (Ian Day) at Sonu, which I received at the end of April, was "there have been no further progressions, the last production run has been done". Which didn't particularly give me much inspiration. On the other hand, whilst it may have taken a while longer to find out from the key person at Hinders, it would seem that they keen to somehow continue to maintain what they also see as a very effective barbel-catching bait in an independent way and are hoping to trial their version of this pellet, using the same key constituents, over the coming year with a view to supplying past the end of their current (Ewos produced) stocks and beyond.

So, despite comments to the contrary (Mr Nayler, please note-please don't shoot the messenger! ) my earlier post about this issue was made in good faith and certainly not intended as "rumour mongering".

I, for one, having now only just learned of developments this morning, am just relieved that this particular bait would seem to potentially continue to be available in the longer term and hope that it continues to provide me with a reassuring 80% of my annual barbel catch rates.

Roger

Last edited:
Well said roger !

Keep us all posted with any other info fella :)

Elips are a good bait as we all know in summer conditions, but I have used Hinders Mega Betaine pellets too and have caught many a big barbus on those aswell.

I have used Scopex Squid Liver plus boilie pellet with pellets that have worked wonders but generally stick to Elips pellets.

I'm sure many of us use different baits for barbel, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if and I mean if they didn't manufacture Elips any more.

Probably end up buying pellets from Lone Angler, if the price came down !!

Not long now chaps, I'm sure we are all dying to get back to the river.

Tight lines to you all :D

Last edited:
Hi men,

Roger , all the above is exactly what I was told a while ago , I was also told that there was a chance of a change in the make up of them at some point , with components that were of a lower quality , and perhaps less attractive to barbel . Any company that could continue the production of them would corner the market , and if its possible to do so , would be thd first port of call for lots of barbel anglers , if its Hinders then good luck to them for perusing it . They would also be mad to then subcontract them out to other bait companies ?.

Hatter

Big lover of elips, but remember they were invented to feed salmonids (and not barbel), so what’s the preferred commercial fish farm pellet for feeding salmonids now, because I'd wager they will catch barbel in great numbers too?

Also another thumbs up for Hinders Mega Betains!

Big lover of elips, but remember they were invented to feed salmonids (and not barbel), so what’s the preferred commercial fish farm pellet for feeding salmonids now, because I'd wager they will catch barbel in great numbers too?

Also another thumbs up for Hinders Mega Betains!
are they not 21mm..:eek:, could always cut em down with a hot knife.

I prefer a pellet mix for feed i.e. recently ordered Hinders pellet combo (mini betaines, halibuts, salmon pellets and med elips). Hookbait is generally large elips or mega betaines.

What is the general consensus about Hinders 'Barbel Blitz' products including the Ellipse pellets soaked in said flavour.

I was considering buying some but have held back cos I already have many dips/flavours which I could add to my pellets which I think would achieve the same result.

Any thoughts boys

What is the general consensus about Hinders 'Barbel Blitz' products including the Ellipse pellets soaked in said flavour.

I was considering buying some but have held back cos I already have many dips/flavours which I could add to my pellets which I think would achieve the same result.

Any thoughts boys

I was in Hinders at the weekend and got myself some Elipse pellets soaked in 'Barbel Blitz'.. Spoke with Dan and his advice was not to use them a loose feed as in his words "if money is no object then do use them a loose feed but i only use them as hook baits"..

so got myself the 3.5kg of pellet combo and a pouch of 'Barbel Blitz' Elipse.. have used the normal Ellipse and pellet combo before and have had plenty of fish on them

Also as i was in there got some Elipse liquid no idea why s never used that before either

Ian

Last edited:

Any thoughts boys

Hi Keith - yes, pretty sure what you have already will produce the same result. In my experience bait choice comes a distant third after location and presentation.

I was in Hinders at the weekend and got myself some Elipse pellets soaked in 'Barbel Blitz'.. Spoke with Dan and his advice was not to use them a loose feed as in his words "if money is no object then do use them a loose feed but i only use them as hook baits"..

so got myself the 3.5kg of pellet combo and a pouch of 'Barbel Blitz' Elipse.. have used the normal Ellipse and pellet combo before and have had plenty of fish on them

Also as i was in there got some Elipse liquid no idea why s never used that before either

Ian

Elipse liquid.......Really....I bet when Andy Francis and the bfw team came up with that name they wish they'd copyrighted it.

Glugged some elips pellets with elips glugg, when I fished the wye a couple of years back, had 7 fish in November biggest 11lb 12.

Back