• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Elips pellet - preferred stockists

David Parker

Hi gents

A quick question. Since Teme Severn baits stopped trading where are fans of Elips pellets taking their trade?

I know there have been issues with Hinders Elips, so until I hear that the issue with their supply is fixed, I'll be looking elsewhere.

Does anyone have any weblinks to good stockists of high quality Elips?

Thanks

Hi David

The Bankside Tackle Grubber pellets are of a high quality & I have caught well using them. Their make up seems to be consistent year after year.

Pellets

I've always found Sonubaits Ellipse pellets very good....and at £3.99 per kg I don't find them to expensive.

I'v never noticed any difference in catch rates from Elips to the cheaper skrettings pellets, my only preference is to have a mix of sizes.

Never had any issues with Hinders Elips and I've been buying them for 8+ years, the ingredients have changed over the years but they still catch above all else for me.

Whoever sells Elips, I'd wager that they all come from the same manufacturer anyway.

The mistral ellips are fantastic but i cant find these any more so ive started to use bankside tackle ellips pellets which are good also.

I should make the most of them guys, there was a debate back in Feb this year started by Roger Cramer on the Middle Trent pages. I know Roger and he used to own a tackle shop, he used to source his pellets direct from the factory and was saying that the sole manufacturere of Elips pellets a company in Scotland would not be making anymore post 2013 - they apparently supply Hinders, CC Moore et al.

I've included the text of one his posts below.....

To be honest, guys I don't know about the source of supply for Teme-Severn or CC Moore Elips pellets (they might be the same as that for Hinders)

All I know is that Trefor West told me that Hinders supplied him way back (and still do) and, that when I took over my tackle shop back in 2003/4 (I subsequently retired in 2010) I used to supply the exact same Elips successfully to customers (as do Sonu Baits, more recently) and the most important fact is these unique Elips pellets all come from the one and only single source i.e. a major (Norwegian) fish feed manufacturer called EWOS, who have a large factory in Scotland, and who have just intimated that they probably won't continue to produce this 'one-off' purpose-designed pellet for the Uk angling market beyond 2013, as it is only providing what is, to them, "an insignificant contribution" to their overall millions of pounds of fish feed turnover.

As you must now have gathered from my postings, I am not feeling too confident about my future fish catching potential post 2013!!!

Roger

He did confirm in a later post that CC Moore used the same source - I'm sure Roger, who often looks in on here, can shed some more light on this subject

Cheers

Steve

Hi men,

I herd this a few months ago . Something to do with revamping the production machine / cost and availability of base products/ oils , and costs against the total weight of elips sold . If its just barbel anglers using them , then that amount may make it non profitable to do so ?.

Hatter

Last edited:
I haven't used Elips for a couple of seasons now and catch plenty with good old 'no name' low oil trout pellets at around £1.50 per kilo from my local tackle shop.

I do flavour them up a bit with my own concoction but it's nothing special, I just buy cheap Aldi tuna in sunflower oil and use the oil on the pellets and the tuna in the groundbait I use to plug the feeder.

If I'm not feeder fishing that day I put the tuna in a sandwich.

I haven't used Elips for a couple of seasons now and catch plenty with good old 'no name' low oil trout pellets at around £1.50 per kilo from my local tackle shop.

I do flavour them up a bit with my own concoction but it's nothing special, I just buy cheap Aldi tuna in sunflower oil and use the oil on the pellets and the tuna in the groundbait I use to plug the feeder.

If I'm not feeder fishing that day I put the tuna in a sandwich.

I've tried that Aldi tuna stuff. I suggest that you would improve your sandwich by swopping the tuna with the "no name" low oil trout pellets.

Cheers guys.

I was afraid something was going on behind the scenes with the Elips production. I noticed they'd disappeared from CC Moore's site.

It's a shame. They seem to have that 'x' factor that draws fish in.

I'll check out the sonubaits and grubber pellets for now, I think.

Hi men,

I herd this a few months ago . Something to do with revamping the production machine / cost and availability of base products/ oils , and costs against the total weight of elips sold . If its just barbel anglers using them , then that amount may make it non profitable to do so ?.

Hatter

Elips are not made for barbel anglers, they are made for the fish farming industry, they are elliptical in shape, not to sit nicely on the river bed, but to make them sink more slowly through fish farming cages, meaning less waste.

When they were more orange in colour (4+ years ago), they contained a carotene type agent (forget the name of it), which had an effect of turning farmed salmon flesh pink, which in natural wild conditions comes from the salmons food source i.e. prawns etc. This additive was removed due to cost.

Seem to remember Andy F some time ago, writing an interesting post on the history of elips?

When we buy high oil pellets in bulk, virtually all are overspill from the fish farming industry, and they are not manufactured for anglers.

Back