• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ebay madness

Andy Millichamp

Has anyone noticed the absurd prices that fishing tackle seems to be fetching on Ebay recently? For example, I've been looking to find a partner for my trusted but lonely Korum Neoteric Twin Tip. One came up this week on fleabay, second-hand but unused. I decided that I would bid high to try to get this rod. But in the end I was blown out before I'd even started bidding. The winning bid was £107 including postage! Why would you pay that to a stranger on Ebay when you can buy it for less from a retailer. A quick google shows Bennetts of Sheffield offering it for £89+postage and various others for £99. The RRP is only £120.

It's not the only time I've seen this, it seems to be happening a lot recently. Madness!

Okay, rant over, I feel better for that :)

All quiet on the barbel front...

Hi men ,

Andy , its not only restricted to fishing gear . We have moved to another cottage , and have been buying stuff to get it up to standard we want. Its a mine field , with descriptions being accurate , but its the stuff they leave out that you must read into the item !!!!.

Some of the stuff going on there was much cheaper at .......ARGOS :D:D:D:D. Best to see what you want , copy / paste it into google .

Hatter

I've seen Okuma centre pins fetching more on e-bay than brand new ones, I think a lot of people just want to win the bid.

it's called auction fever.
something i never get, i have a maximum price in my head including post on top and i stick to it.

You might find that the seller may have more than one account or mates accounts to where they can keep bidding up against genuine buyers until a certain price point is reached to where they let it go. Sometimes they win or sometimes they lose out. Not always the case bit it happens.

If your going to sell something it should be no more than 65% of the original price, i see lots of overinflated prices, it happens on this site and many others, but after all they are second hand.
I recently watched a Normark Microlight 2000, fetch £399 on ebay, classics like this i can see why.

What makes it a classic Jon and not just another second hand rod?

You might find that the seller may have more than one account or mates accounts to where they can keep bidding up against genuine buyers until a certain price point is reached to where they let it go. Sometimes they win or sometimes they lose out. Not always the case bit it happens.

That's called Shill Bidding, if EBay catch anyone, they are in for the high jump. I'm sure that it goes on, however a few months ago an individual was prosecuted.

EBay

I'm in complete agreement and I thought that we were in a recession. Another point is that there are so many people on EBay that goods are reaching a massive audience. I agree with Jon, I would expect to pay no more than 66% of the new price. As some of the posts have made clear, competition, funds in their PayPal account, poor research by bidders and possible Shill bidding are all driving up prices. It will be interesting to see what Clive's Kevlar will make - I've already put in a bid for £160 - only kidding!

My lad recently bought an as new Canon 400d for his art/photo A level. £200 off easbay. Camera and lens were as new, would've been upwards of £600 3-4 years ago.
In the summer I bought for myself a Dawes hybrid bike, not too new, but as new. Originally £650, cost to me........................... £71. Guy had listed it as a hi-bred bike, so no bidders bar me. :)
Quality bargains are out there.

Ebay has always been a bit strange. I feel that there have been fewer bargains and more ridiculously high prices in the last couple of years or so. To a large extent it's increasingly become an on line shop front and clearing house for existing shops. Sadly, rather than genuine clearances, many of these shops are actually clearing stock at over inflated prices. There's loads of fishing gear on there that's more expensive than you can find in multiple on-line retailers in five minutes of googling. There's even chancers selling new stuff at more than the RRP.
I've bought several items of brand new tackle from retailers for less than they go for second hand on ebay and, to some extent, forums.:confused:
Plenty of folks out there with more money than sense. There are still a few genuine bargains to be had on ebay but they seem to get fewer with the passage of time.

Its a bit like car boot sales............... years ago you could always pick up a reasonably priced bargain, now everyone wants top dollar for all their old tat!

Tom

I like to collect old fishing tackle, from old hook packets, wooden line winders, floats, bait kettles etc.,etc. not for resale but for demonstration purposes about how it all started. Last week at a car boot sale some fellow wanted £20 for a 60's Lesney bait press. When I said its only worth a couple of quid he argued with me saying its very rare fishing gear. I offered him half a dozen at £10 each thinking he might bite my hand off. No chance......!!!

Hope your catching. Might see you in the winter on the Pats.

Mike

Mike

Hi Mike, i had something similar a few seasons ago with Mitchell spools, the guy wanted £15.00 each claiming there where rare classic spools, at the time i had a box full of them and wanted some spares to repair some others i had.

Funny how the words "rare" and "classic" are used to inflate prices LOL.

You will indeed find me on the Pat's Mike, struggling as usual:)

Your right lads ebay is getting silly with prices of things ive seen matrix stainless banksticks make a lot more then they are new in the shop

Back