• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Dying on it's backside.

I've been on here for a fair while now - and i still look in 4 or 5 times a day to the frustration of my woman.....

....yes there are flat spots, (not my woman, the forum) but the stretches I fish aren't performing so to be fair there ain't much to talk about in the Severn and Wavon feeds.

As the fishing picks up, so will the forum.

As far as the main forum goes, many threads are being brought up again - landing net handles, boilies etc etc and I can't help think that those that have seen the threads in the past perhaps skip past them without looking in too much. However we must all remember that things are moving on and developments are always being made, and everyone's opinion no matter how in line or out of line with the majority all count equally.

I still enjoy the forum

I don't really do Facebook as I found myself becoming friends with the 'look at what I am having for dinner' kind, or the groups that are full of 'went fishing caught this, this, this and that'.
Yeah BFW is quieter these days but it still has the odd comedic poster that encourages a few laughs, just much less of those looking to cause trouble..

Hi men,

I read all post ( obviously ) and without doubt things do have busy and quiet times . This is as pointed out a busy time for barbel anglers , and I got up this morning to find 6 river thread updates , which is hardly quiet !. The main board will ebb and flow , sometimes as newer members join and some leave , but we are all guilty to a point of not posting questions , even little things , or even a helpful push in the right direction to someone seeking help . The "landing net " question will always raise its head as newer members come along , or as lately a product ( westies handle ) adds to the choice . People should never be afraid to ask this question ( that's all questions like that ) , it's the reason it's there for people coming into barbel fishing .

Iv looked at two other barbel sites , one iv not looked at for perhaps a year or more , now that is really proper quiet !!!, the other I look at / post on every day , and it's the river report that is the busy thread , the rest quiet . Facebook has taken a lot of posting traffic , I'm as guilty as anyone , updating catches etc almost as it happened . Facebook can never take control completely as the river reports are countrywide on here , and you can't have a thousand " friends" . All sites have " lurkers" that are using the site, and I speak to loads every week who tell me that !.

It's simple ,
Don't like a landing net thread - don't read it .
Don't like the site - don't log on .
Don't like it being quiet ?, post .

Hatter

must apologise in advance

been on holiday for a couple of weeks to sunny lands and didn't think that not posting would have such a big effect on the forum traffic:p
will try and post more in future:p:D
levels are up on the wye:)

Hi men,

Nice one Simon , I preyed for sun yesterday as we sat in thunder , lightning and heavy rain :D

Hatter

Agree with Adrian,BFW isent a patch on what it was,as a few years back
it was deffo the number one fishing board.
Met some great guys on here a few years back following offers to fish the
Kennet,Wye,Trent,Thames Loddon and Teme and without BFW would never
had visited these lovely rivers,or met the friendly guys who invited me,and also had some great fun posing as Ousechav.
Still too good a place to delete my shortcut,as very handy for getting
opinions of the non fishing kind,as non of us knows it all,and still some good helpful guys posting here :):)

. Then, there was that time in Barcelona when with a few friends, we went to a highly recommended club and after having my arm twisted to near breaking point, I reluctantly agreed to be entertained by a "lady" who was training to be a dancer. Unfortunately, during one particular dance move the bottom half of her dancing costume accidentally came undone and that's when I was confronted by the realisation that the lady was not wholly a lady. So I got up and left. QUOTE]

My God Howard, what a small world ! I joined that same dancer for a Paso Doble in Thailand !!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I know Dave, a real bummer.

BFW is a little different to many other forums in that there's now very little trolling and little non-fishing chat. That lack means that it can be quite quiet at times, but I'm not convinced that's an entirely bad thing. There's little wrong with a bit of a ding dong, but the deliberate wind ups are tiresome. No dramas if such wind ups are specifically targeted at mates, but when they are no more than random trawls of perfect strangers, it's not on.

However, traffic on forums seems to be greatest when people are trolling, bitching and fighting. The snag is that while it generates more views and posts, the post are usually by only a fraction of forum members.

As far as I'm concerned, BFW is quieter than it used to be, but not entirely for the worse. I've not fished for barbel at all this year, and have therefore had little to post. However, I learned my lesson a few years back with regards to catch reports. That's not something I'll ever get amongst again. Far too many people on forums contribute absolutely nothing. Their only aim being to scour venue reports for specifics. I've no interest in doing any work for these folks and presenting it all on a plate. Once bitten, twice shy.

A quick look at the member list shows just how many people join and never post. An awful lot more post up to five times and then go quiet. I wouldn't presume that all of them are non-contributing information harvesters, but a proportion will be.

I'm not sure that all the ills of forum participation can be laid at Facebook's door. I do use Facebook, I don't have any problem ignoring the dross on there. I'm not shy of canning the "friends", I use the term loosely, that really get on my wick. Where canning friends might not be appropriate, I'm perfectly able of ignoring them when required. I am also a member of the odd Facebook fishing group. However, compared to a good forum, even a relatively quiet BFW, they are like watching paint dry. They invariably seem to be the domain of youngsters showing off quite unimpressive fish to a wider audience or "names"/wannabees boosting their egos or trying to promote a brand.

Facebook isn't anywhere near as bad as some are making out. Though I do recall saying that I'd sooner hack my own face off and stick it in a book than join it.:eek:;):D However, should you join Facebook with a view to using it as an alternate venue for fishing chat, prepare to be disappointed.

Hi men,

Agreed Chris , Facebook has its limitations regarding fishing . It does not flow like a forum , with friends of friends joining in at best . It was not ment for that really , it was ment for friends to chat / share , mainly silly stuff you've done , as of you were really chatting to friends :D. I put **** on there sometimes , just for a laugh , poking fun at myself , throwing pebbles in the pond ;).What you end up with is friends your never likely to meet , not a bad thing , just sociable . It's a tool to use alongside forums , I know a few people who have just used Facebook , but are missing out , and lurk . Lurkers are ok , be nice if they posted but it's not a condition of membership , and to them they are using it as they want .

Do I miss our spats with Paul Boote , yes sometimes , is the site a better place yes .

Hatter

I joined the Barbel society last year and this year and signed up for there forum .
Apart from a hand full of regular posters , Not alot get posted on there forum .
It appears that most are on the face book page posting :rolleyes:

I joined the Barbel society last year and this year and signed up for there forum .
Apart from a hand full of regular posters , Not alot get posted on there forum .
It appears that most are on the face book page posting :rolleyes:

You feelin you've been done Joe :D

Hi men,

Agreed Chris , Facebook has its limitations regarding fishing . It does not flow like a forum , with friends of friends joining in at best . It was not ment for that really , it was ment for friends to chat / share , mainly silly stuff you've done , as of you were really chatting to friends :D. I put **** on there sometimes , just for a laugh , poking fun at myself , throwing pebbles in the pond ;).What you end up with is friends your never likely to meet , not a bad thing , just sociable . It's a tool to use alongside forums , I know a few people who have just used Facebook , but are missing out , and lurk . Lurkers are ok , be nice if they posted but it's not a condition of membership , and to them they are using it as they want .

Do I miss our spats with Paul Boote , yes sometimes , is the site a better place yes .

Hatter
pauls on fishing magic if you want to tango.:D

Hi all,

Thanks to those who have responded to this negativity in such a positive way.

Yes, BFW is less active than it was before we switched to verified members only. We have less bickering, sniping and nastiness. The site is something I’m proud to be involved with rather than embarrassed!

As has been mention many times before, if you don’t like it, go elsewhere. There are plenty of alternatives where you don’t even have to fork out a whopping £2 for your lifetime membership!

We can’t please all the people, all the time.

Regards,

Andy

Hi Guys,
as some of you have already stated, its gone very quiet on the Forum, its also like that on the other forum that I post on, as you all know I write the Throop reports every week and I struggle to get catch reports, and to me it seems that most of the catches are put onto Facebook.

I am not on Facebook and I have no intentions whatsoever to do so, we have seen so much agro and grief on that and twitter and not to use it is very wise.

Mind you it does have lots of good points but unfortunately there are a lot of people that abuse it.

So here's a challenge, if you do fish Throop, why not send me your catch report, or even if you have any sort of story, perhaps a lousy journey, or perhaps your mate fell in, absolutely anything, it really would be great to receive a report from you.

many thanks

Brian.

PS..........Well said Andy.

You feelin you've been done Joe :D

Steve I dont feel I have been done as you put it :(

Having joined the BS it's allowed me access to a great stretch of river on the lower Severn and met some great people .

This w/end there was a fish in and social and I had a great time :)
So no Steve I dont feel I have been done :)

I don't fish for barbel nearly as much as I used to but I still pop on here many times per day, it is a great resource and the catalyst of many of my fishing friendships and long may it continue.

Back