• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Crazy River - last knockings

I think that anybody who has read the book Paul, will see exactly who put the effort into it.
Your passages/chapters told a far better story of the journeys and experiences than your co-writers.

I agree Fred. In fact, if you read the book and them some of Paul's posts here then it's rather obvious who wrote what. I did enjoy Jeremy Wade's chapters too though. From memory, J.W writes with as rather dry sense of humour and seems to be quite a master at understatement, which I liked. The book is still the best angling book I have read by far, probably because it is more than just an angling book: it's a travalogue as well. This gives it another dimension, which it certainly needed to have as it is, in angling terms at least, rather long.

Jeremy Wade has another book in the pipeline, according to his website. Not too sure if P.B has any plans but I would like to read the book that he wrote, and then shelved, about fishing in Patagonia and Tierra Del Fuego.

Last edited:
Both Fred & Haydn have beat me to it. I too much prefer Paul's chapters. That's not to say Jeremy is a bad writer, but I prefer Paul's style.

Now young Paul, if I could only get you to sign my copy alongside Jeremy's autograph...

R.

Agree with Fred, Haydn and Robin, it's a great book. I first read it while in camp on the Kaveri, either December '92 or January '94, don't remember which trip it was. I'm sure the read was improved by being 'on the spot' so to speak and reading by the light of an oil-lamp!

When Jeremy Wade was on Daybreak he was talking about visiting the Congo 25 years ago, Adrian Chiles remarked on the book he (JW) had written about his experiences at the time. JW made no attempt to correct Chiles regarding the authorship of the book, a pity he didn't have the graciousness to acknowledge Paul's work.

Steve,

That's a little harsh. I don't think that a failure to correct a passing comment like that could be construed as a lack of graciousness.

R.

Back