• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Crazy River - last knockings

Paul Boote

No Longer a Member
Back in late 1992 or early 1993 I sold two boxes, eight copies in each of Somewhere Down The Crazy River - Journeys In Search of Giant Fish (never saw the money myself, it went towards paying a printer) to the brother of an old and very good friend of mine. The lad had a few mates and a West London tackle-shop (long closed) interested in the book, he told me. End of story until I met the man's older brother, still one of my very best and oldest friends, for an Indian late last week.

"Do you know that I still have those books you sold X, Paul?"

"Eh? What books? Why...?"

"Because I subbed him the money for them, and when he did one of the disappearing acts he did back then after selling just four I took the remainder... Do you want them back ... there are twelve of them ... with you knowing how to sell them...?"

So, twelve new copies of Somewhere Down The Crazy River by me and Mr Wade for sale, then. First edition, 1992, hardback, perfect as-new condition every one. I'll sign each one.

£75 post-paid per copy. For an extra £5 I'll bundle in a signed DVD of the now-unavailable documentary featured in the Ganges mahseer-fishing chapters of the book.

Personal message me if you want one.

Last edited:
Yep, agree with Steve on this one, a classic. I rarely read angling books as I find that the subject matter does not lend it's self to well to writing. If the author is a talented writer with a good sense for describing his subject then angling books can be an enjoyable read, Paul and Jeremy are obviously both very good writers. However, Somewhere Down The Crazy River wins, hands down, as the best angling book I have ever read because it is rather more than just an angling book. It's a fishing odysee, encompassing travel, trials and tribulations, danger and discovery in exotic locations.

One line that sticks in my mind, from one of Jeremy's chapters If I remember correctly, was when he was describing some of the dangers that can be encountered when fishing(wading I think) for Goliath Tiger fish: "Genitals", he said they were informed, "can be removed instantly". Not for the faint hearted!

I saw, some time ago, a copy sold on ebay for nearly a ton, so £75 seems like a bargain. Thoroughly recomended.

All the best,
Haydn

The best "Don't go in the water" story that I might or might not have put in the book (I certainly told it a number of times when I used to do slideshow talks) was about an early-morning visit to the village "washing-up spot" in the shallows of major Congo tributary (at the spot concerned three or four times bigger than the lower Thames and running hard). A Naomi Campbell look-alike was heavily limping ashore (trailing a foot), her arms full of big, aluminium pots and pans. I commented to the man with me: "Poor woman. What happened to her...?"

"Mbenga [Goliath] ... the fish you're after. She was here last year, washing pots and pans, when something bow-waved out of those fast deeps thirty yards out and had her leg. Severed the Achilles tendon...."

Five years ago, when I was last in the Congo (and had the fish I was after, a biggie of 91 pounds), fishing on another river, I heard some more hair-raising fishermen's and local people's tales, a few of which I am certain were true. But no telling them now, I regret: they'd only be pinched and recycled..........

Last edited:
"Today I have been mostly buying some bubble wrap and packaging that I will be putting to use in the coming days. Not long now..."

i probably would have taken you up on this offer Paul, but i've been watching ebay for what seems like an eternity and your book appeared a couple of weeks back with a 8.99 'buy it now' price. It is now on my book shelf!

Enjoyed the DVD by the way thanks.

Ah, but then there is always some swivel-eyed spoiler troll, here today and gone "like yesterday" (if they were there at all), on the Internet now, ain't there?

Some men DO, the rest sadly merely enviously look on and carp.............

Please excuse the odd outburst late last night, but I had just been cold-called at my home by an "angler" who then detained me for well over an hour trying time and again to pick my brain and elicit specifics on fishing topics both domestic and foreign, and who then proceeded to get cheekier and cheekier until very calmly, quietly and pleasantly I suggested that he get out and do some groundwork and spadework himself. At which point he effed and blinded and slammed the phone down. I was not best pleased.

Today, tomorrow...

dambusters-impossible-mission.jpg

A great book, I remember reading it before going on my first ever visit to the WASI water back in 1992. When I met Subhan and Bhola in the flesh it was like meeting old friends!

Had some great times up until 2000, hard to believe it's been 10 years since I last fished there.

Back in late 1992 or early 1993 I sold two boxes, eight copies in each of Somewhere Down The Crazy River - Journeys In Search of Giant Fish (never saw the money myself, it went towards paying a printer) to the brother of an old and very good friend of mine. The lad had a few mates and a West London tackle-shop (long closed) interested in the book, he told me. End of story until I met the man's older brother, still one of my very best and oldest friends, for an Indian late last week.

"Do you know that I still have those books you sold X, Paul?"

"Eh? What books? Why...?"

"Because I subbed him the money for them, and when he did one of the disappearing acts he did back then after selling just four I took the remainder... Do you want them back ... there are twelve of them ... with you knowing how to sell them...?"

So, twelve new copies of Somewhere Down The Crazy River by me and Mr Wade for sale, then. First edition, 1992, hardback, perfect as-new condition every one. I'll sign each one.

£75 post-paid per copy. For an extra £5 I'll bundle in a signed DVD of the now-unavailable documentary featured in the Ganges mahseer-fishing chapters of the book.

Personal message me if you want one.

Will the few guys who have contacted me over the past fortnight, saying "Yes, I'll have one, Paul ... get payment away to you...", please contact me (or get the loot away very soon) as I now have some others waiting for the limited number remaining. Ta.

And whilst I am here, those enquiring after the 20th anniversary Kashmir trout - Ganges mahseer DVD only: it is still available at the price I was selling it for over the Christmas period - signed on disc and envelope with some offbeat Bootean Motto - £20. Nice film, as someone in the "Watching" thread commented just last night. Anyway, "Ta" again.

Posted on the Pure Piscator Secret Swim forum a little earlier today, and now here -

Sunday, November 07, 2010 12:20pm

One for Christmas?

A month or so after I put this advert up ages ago, I was tipped off by a kindly soul with a keen eye on book prices that unsigned (by myself, at least), fairly average condition copies of Somewhere Down The Crazy River were now fetching well over £100 and that I should be aware of this...

So I stopped selling, declining offers of the original seventy-five knickers and replying to enquirers both here and on the barbel site on which the advert also appeared with the information that a signed, straight from the Butler & Tanner printer's delivery box, pristine condition, 1992 1st edition hardback of Crazy River could be theirs for £140 post paid in the U.K., with a signed DVD of the lovely, much-lauded and -awarded (and now extremely rare)1990 "Casting For Gold" film made for British and American television bundled in at the stated price.

So, I have had three takers in recent weeks - two in Britain, one in the United States [here is what the lady concerned had to say about it in her very nice, chatty blog - http://sunnyglobaldiva.c...te-whales-crazy-rivers/ ], and still have a few more copies available at £140-00 post paid in Britain ($275 by insured AirSure mail to the States].

If you fancy what seems to be a now fast-appreciating "asset" as well as a pretty decent read plus a nice hour of viewing, get in touch. No silliness or offers, please; there have been some of these this year, which I dealt with both politely and patiently.

Paul,
I have your book but can you sell me copy of the CD...?

Back