• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

crabtree - quest tomorrow (24/02/13) @ 9.00pm

The ratchet was annoying, why did he have it on all the time :confused:
'Peter' was a nice lad, but had a millionaire footballers haircut, and back in the day it would be short back and sides with a Brylcreem sheen.
But what about those Roach? Nice to see some at least are surviving in our Rivers along with Dace too.

Someone should take that damn pawl out of his pin and shove it where the sun doesn't shine. What the hell was he doing?

Most enjoyable watch.
Tiger (Peter) was a real livewire , thought he made this episode so much more "fun"
Well done JB.
As mentioned its fishing so just watch and enjoy.

Just watched it and thought it was good viewing particularly when they were stalking the chub. I'm no pin wizard but the ratchet was annoying but as Mark said the young lad really added something to the episode and I like John Bailey's style.

A fun episode I thought. I really enjoyed the chub bit, especially the tension that developed between Crabtree and Peter the Mohican as he was playing the fish. JB was getting more and more stressed about the possibility of losing the fish-

"the snags, the snags, keep him away from the snags skater boy!!" and Peter remained calm and respectful as he effectively told JB to "shut the fu*k up grandad, I know what I'm doing, even with this oversized cotton reel. And say snags one more time I WILL remove your scalp with my new braid scissors and turn it into a pair of winter shoes".

I think it was good to bring Crabtree up to date with a bit of social realism- a nice contemporary twist.

Hard to please everybody but how is anybody ever going to bring a 50+ year old cartoon series to TV and get it exact? I thought JB did a pretty good job of it.
Does anyone remember the spoof that Carp World, I think, did about 20 odd years ago, Fishing with Mr. Carptree? Now that would be fun to get on to the TV!

Lets be honest..........I dont know any centre pin users that use a ratchet, except for when they pack up and are travelling.
I did say that i was not going to watch this tripe again, but when i received a text from a centre pin angler informing me of the ratchet noise, i just had to have a look, my god what on earth were they thinking about making this load of rubbish, my viewing time lasted two minutes.
Brian.

Lets be honest..........I dont know any centre pin users that use a ratchet, except for when they pack up and are travelling.
I did say that i was not going to watch this tripe again, but when i received a text from a centre pin angler informing me of the ratchet noise, i just had to have a look, my god what on earth were they thinking about making this load of rubbish, my viewing time lasted two minutes.
Brian.

I hope I'm that miserable when I get to your age Brian:D

Slightly better.....

I've never seen anyone 'lurch' a float down the swim in such a manner.... I've obviously been doing it wrong all these years.....

Steve

Steve,

Have you mastered the art of striking when the float disappears when Tench fishing yet.....?

Think the title gives it away chaps ''Fishing in the footsteps of Mr Crabtree''
Not going to be filled with hints and tips, not going to be using up to date methods per say, just reliving what Bernard Venables wrote about all those years ago............. and taking that into account, it is on track as far as I am concerned.
I viewed it as I imagined it to be ,,,,,,,,,,,,, fishing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, how it used to be.

If you were given the opportunity to make a series of 6 angling programmes with a view to entertaining anglers, but also to present angling to the general public in such a way that was entertaining but also educational and informative, What sort of format would you propose?

Would it be a “John Wilson†type (minus the irritating laugh) where he always get his fish and brings the words “willow herb†into the dialogue at every opportunity?

Or would it be a “Fishing with Robson Green†type of program where you would use a celebrity who is also an irritating twerp to up the ratings with the non-angling public?

Possibly you could try a Jeremy Wade style “River Monsters†approach, where a disheveled bloke who looks like he normally sleeps rough, pads out 5 minutes of action with 25 minutes of garbage.

Lastly you could try a “Passion for Angling†type which has high production values, faultless camera work and narration, but is somewhat let down by using an angler with a dodgy reputation when it comes to being law abiding.

It’s not as easy as it seems is it?

Nick,

I try to avoid posting to individuals lest I be considered rude, so nearly all my posts are aimed at inviting responses from anyone interested in the subject matter

If you were given the opportunity to make a series of 6 angling programmes with a view to entertaining anglers, but also to present angling to the general public in such a way that was entertaining but also educational and informative, What sort of format would you propose?

Would it be a “John Wilson†type (minus the irritating laugh) where he always get his fish and brings the words “willow herb†into the dialogue at every opportunity?

Or would it be a “Fishing with Robson Green†type of program where you would use a celebrity who is also an irritating twerp to up the ratings with the non-angling public?

Possibly you could try a Jeremy Wade style “River Monsters†approach, where a disheveled bloke who looks like he normally sleeps rough, pads out 5 minutes of action with 25 minutes of garbage.

Lastly you could try a “Passion for Angling†type which has high production values, faultless camera work and narration, but is somewhat let down by using an angler with a dodgy reputation when it comes to being law abiding.

It’s not as easy as it seems is it?

Richard presuming you refer to Mr James and not Mr Yates , what had the poor fellow done at the time ''Passion for Angling '' was made, in terms of not abiding with the law ? Because of recent events perhaps we should withdraw all DVD's containing any footage of Mr James so that the young and impressionable in our society are not led off the straight and narrow by this wicked man :D

Why the need to bring angling programmes to the masses? Let the masses watch proper angling programmes and be done with it.

If a non angler can watch 'A passion for angling' and enjoy it then great but why bother trying to cater for non anglers when making a angling programme? It doesnt make sense.

They dont make Corrie and Eastenders for people who arent TV-soap fans do they?

Nigel is right, whinging Willson by name, whinging Willson by nature.
Bear in mind that Nigel also had a whinge at the screaming ratchet.
I have tried in vain not to whinge, but i have failed so many times, so why is this ?
I have no WILL power, i just like a perfect world, but this is not to be, so the answer is to keep whinging.
Brian.

Back