• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Congratulations Keith....

KILLERS

Mr Brightside

I'm coming out of my cage
And I've been doing just fine
Gotta gotta be down
Because I want it all
It started out with a fish
How did it end up like this
It was only a fish, it was only a fish
Now I'm falling asleep
And she's calling a cab
While he's having a smoke
And she's taking a drag
Now they're going to bed
And my stomach is sick
And it's all in my head
But she's touching his-chest
Now, he takes off her dress
Now, letting me go

And I just can't look its killing me
And taking control
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis
But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
'Cause I'm Mr Brightside

I'm coming out of my cage
And I've been doing just fine
Gotta gotta be down
Because I want it all
It started out with a fish
How did it end up like this
It was only a fish, it was only a fish
Now I'm falling asleep
And she's calling a cab
While he's having a smoke
And she's taking a drag
Now they're going to bed
And my stomach is sick
And it's all in my head
But she's touching his-chest
Now, he takes off her dress
Now, letting me go

Cause I just can't look its killing me
And taking control
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis
But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
'Cause I'm Mr Brightside

I never...
I never...
I never...
I never...

Keiths Snow Barbel

i haven,t read all the threads but as far as i am concerned its a great acheivment and thoroughly deserves all the praise thats laid on it:)
as to any knockers please show us your catch in the snow!
Keith terrific result mate and heres to many more for you in the future, in the meantime keep that kettle on:D

I have congratulated Keith elsewhere, but well done again anyway.

The fact of the matter is that this capture (as others have said) is merely another great achievement by Keith using his methods. Keith appears to have caught a large number of barbel and chub on what many would consider match tactics. I very much doubt that many of us would be good enough or at least experienced enough to consistently land fish as big as this if we were even fortunate enough to hook them. It takes a very skilled angler to consistently put big fish on the bank when utilising this method. This is not a one off 'what a lucky so and so' capture. Keith appears to do it all of the time. Now that, at least in my books, is the sign of a very accomplished angler and therefore merits the amount of praise given. Most recognise his tremendous achievements and most of us can only dream of matching them.

Last edited:
I agree with Nathan on the part of the fine lines used to catch such a fish I don't know Keith but well done to the bloke. We may all catch more fish (or in my case more likely loose more fish) if we dare drop down to such fine lines when the going gets tough. I use braid main line and hook link that compared to Keith's set up is very strong I don't use ridiculously barge towing stuff but keep it so as I still have to angle and play the fish. Perhaps this is why I've not been catching so many Barbel during the winter.
I've seen on the stretch I fish one bloke fetch em out on 6lb line in a snaggy area but also seen a bloke use 60lb braid. Wheres the sport in that.
I think I'm rambling a bit and not getting my point across very well but hopefully you'll all know where I'm coming from.
Once again WELL DONE Keith

Scaz

I agree with Nathan on the part of the fine lines used to catch such a fish I don't know Keith but well done to the bloke. We may all catch more fish (or in my case more likely loose more fish) if we dare drop down to such fine lines when the going gets tough.

I've seen on the stretch I fish one bloke fetch em out on 6lb line in a snaggy area but also seen a bloke use 60lb braid. Wheres the sport in that.

Scaz

It's an interesting, debatable, point that's not really been touched on yet.

Such low B.S. hooklengths can lead to two scenarios; 1. More hooks and line trailing from lost big fish and 2. By necessity having to play big fish for an overly extended period. Neither is much good for them.

I don't understand this "sport" business about using heavier lines though? Surely the idea is to use a breaking strain that minimises the risk of breakage in order to play fish in successfully.

What good does it do fish to give them a "sporting chance" to break you up?

If they slip the hook, or the hook "pulls", then fair enough, likewise for snags (I want the line to break on an immovable snag, hence why we use safe rigs to obviate tethering), but I don't want my line breaking on the lottery basis of a whimsical "ethic"?

I agree with Nathan on the part of the fine lines used to catch such a fish I don't know Keith but well done to the bloke. We may all catch more fish (or in my case more likely loose more fish) if we dare drop down to such fine lines when the going gets tough. I use braid main line and hook link that compared to Keith's set up is very strong I don't use ridiculously barge towing stuff but keep it so as I still have to angle and play the fish. Perhaps this is why I've not been catching so many Barbel during the winter.
I think I'm rambling a bit and not getting my point across very well but hopefully you'll all know where I'm coming from.
Once again WELL DONE Keith

Scaz

The problem with using tackle which is too light for the job is that the fish is played to exhaustion. Add to this the weighing and photography ceremonies, then there is a very real danger of the fish going belly up. Unless the fish is exceptional, then surely, get it back pronto with the fish being out of the water for the least time possible.

The problem is most people haven't got a clue what balanced tackle is. With the right rod you can bully fish in snags with 5 or 6lb line. With a good quality float rod you can exert a huge amount of pressure on a big fish. I have noticed that when playing big fish on very light tackle they don't seem to go on those really powerful runs or surges. More people loose fish due to using totally unbalanced tackle. I've lost count of the times I've heard people say " I've been smashed up several times today and I'm using 15lb line". I'm afraid I put that down to poor angling. I've caught quite a few barbel on 6lb line in snaggy areas and have never been broken. In fact I'll go as far as to say that I have never been snapped up by a fish (barbel, carp or chub) when fishing 6lb line or above. In the main I use 10lb line.

It would be really interesting if we could have some posts on what ' balanced tackle ' really is when related to barbel fishing . I presume Keiths tactics are designed to tempt wary barbel in low and cold conditions , clearly they work . Over the years on this forum I can remember many occasions when folks were told off for fishing too fine for barbel it being seen as irresponsible .[ Before anyone even thinks about it I am NOT having a pop at Keith or fishing light for barbel ] Clearly there is a technique to this style of barbel fishing , it would be great if Keith or other proponents could share their experiences . I was thinking that it might have something to do with the harder you pull when playing the fish the harder they pull back hence the perceived need for hefty gear . I know when I have been chub fishing on light float tackle in winter you can sometimes ' lead ' fish to the net with only gentle pressure and they can be netted before they even realise they are hooked . This tends to work when water temps are extremely low

Last edited:
I was thinking that it might have something to do with the harder you pull when playing the fish the harder they pull back hence the perceived need for hefty gear.

I tried that theory once. It was the same session my rod went in, the fish I lost just before. It was going like a train so I slackened off hoping it would stop, but it didn't and rushed into the nearest snag and got stuck solid!

R.

Balanced tackle

Hi Guys,
As Max Bygraves was fond of saying, ' I wanna tell you a story'.
Many years ago a much younger me and Keith McDonough were fishing the 'Lower Severn';) I think it was 1992 (ish ). We started to fish a particular meadow that slowly started to produce good sized Barbel. Over many sessions we experimented with our tackle and came to conclude that the optimum tackle to ( a. ) get bites ( b. ) then land said fish in a reasonable time ( mostly within 5 minutes, but not always ) was as follows;
Hooks and bait, caster/maggots..14/12. Corn... 10... big lumps of meat ...size 4.
Main line 6lb Berkley XT...Hook length 4lb XT. Rods 11/2 0r 13/4 with a through action.
We fished a few swims but got to know the better ones intimately ( i.e. if there were snags we certainly knew where they were ).
Playing tactics were simple. 3 inch or 3 foot twitches.. lift rod ( no need to strike ) allow Barbel to tear off down stream...slowly tighten clutch ( you need a reel with a reliable clutch )until the Barbel decided it was silly to go any further a which point Boris would do a quick about turn and shoot upstream ( wind furiously to retrieve line ) when the Barbel was about level with our fishing position simply apply a little side strain to gently 'pursuade' the tiring Barbel into the landing net.
Barbel were then rested in a shallow shelf alongside our 'pegs'. The smaller fish would shoot off straight away but the the larger fish always needed a little time to recuperate.
I would describe this as light tackle fishing using balanced tackle. Very,very few fish were lost using this tackle... it eventually landed Keith a 14lb 6oz fish, a Severn record at the time and only 2 ounces off the national record. Its all about 'horses fo courses', last year I was using 20lb power pro and a 2lb tc rod in a snaggy swim. I realise that there is nothing new in these tactics but the question was asked!:D
Tight Lines,
Graham.

Originally Posted by Mike Hodgkiss
I was thinking that it might have something to do with the harder you pull when playing the fish the harder they pull back hence the perceived need for hefty gear.

As we were taught at school Mike:

"For every force there is an equal and opposite reaction..."

May have used similar tackle, but would have been fishing for Greyling or Chub. As has been said, inspirational and congratulations.

Steve

It looked great in the AT today, great fish great pic brilliant angling....

Before this thread gets locked, I'd like to take the opportunity to say that I consider this capture to be one hell of an angling feat. While I've personally caught bigger barbel, I've never caught one even a quarter of its size in such adverse conditions, nor would I have a clue how to begin such a quest. Those who seek to talk down this capture only succeed in showing their stupidity. Congratulations Kieth, I'm jealous!

Amen to that Chris!

I backed out of this thread earlier, when it started getting really silly, for fear of making things even worse. It is a sad, bewildering shame that what should have been a happy celebration of a great anglers fantastic achievement was dragged down and debased by a few miserable snipers.

I am not sure what these guys get out of these spoiling tactics, what it is in their makeup which prompts them to always seek some way of venting their own bitternes whenever possible, but I do know it sometimes goads me into commenting in a way which I sometimes later regret...so, I apologize to Keith and anyone else who may have been offended by some of what went on here, if they feel that I, in any way, contributed to that.

Cheers, Dave.

Amen to that Chris!

I backed out of this thread earlier, when it started getting really silly, for fear of making things even worse. It is a sad, bewildering shame that what should have been a happy celebration of a great anglers fantastic achievement was dragged down and debased by a few miserable snipers.

I am not sure what these guys get out of these spoiling tactics, what it is in their makeup which prompts them to always seek some way of venting their own bitternes whenever possible, but I do know it sometimes goads me into commenting in a way which I sometimes later regret...so, I apologize to Keith and anyone else who may have been offended by some of what went on here, if they feel that I, in any way, contributed to that.

Cheers, Dave.
No need to apologise for yourself or anyone else for that matter, nothing on here has diminished Keiths acheivements, of course will not agree and have been too quick to jump the bandwagon heading for the moral high ground.
I am fascinated that all of a sudden that there are so many supporters of light hooklengths and well balanced tackle, great, this is of course nothing new to those that have dabbled on rivers and ponds pre Carp Mania.
However I dont think I would trust a 3lb hooklengths and a match rod in my 'suicide' swim on the Teme in June:p

Back