• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

chub

Is there anyone on here that is a member of this group, as I have requested further info on joining up, but nothing has been forthcoming, would appreciate it if anyone has contact with the powers to be!

Also as I am really starting to target these fish, which bait in your opinion is likely to throw up the better quality of fish, I have tried Bread/Steak.

Maggots [flavoured] have produced my largest so far, I didn't want to go down the boilie paste route really as I wanted to catch them by design on traditional baits. What's more I wanted to also catch the largest in daylight, as all of my big ones seem only catchable during the hours of darkness, do you guys find that?

Any help in big Chub fishing info will be most welcome/appreciated!!!

Many thanks

Julian

Would good old cheese paste be in the traditional category? It's not exactly a designer bait and can be quite 'interesting' knocking up the most foul concoctions!

I love using cheese past because it is ideal for mobile fishing, just a couple of lumps into likely looking haunts and then I progressively make my way downstream giving each swim a certain amount of time bouncing the paste around - the bites I get on stinky garlic cheese paste are nothing short of incredible, so they must really love the stuff.

My biggest chub have all come in daylight, although when the light is starting to fade but I think they are more than willing to feed at anytime, just by dark they will probably be more confident as they are the spookiest of fish, I think we all habitually spook big chub all the time without even noticing it.

The one thing that does appear to make them lose their cautiousness is the build up of maggot/hemp/caster - I've had several within seconds of casting after a patient buildup via the dropper normally intended for Barbel, when they can seem virtually suicidal. This is obviously a more static approach though.

Maggots will work all night long. They give off more of a scent trail (through respiring and excreting) than you might think.
If invertebrates weren't detectable after dark, fish wouldn't feed after dark. ;)

I quite happily use a rubber grub on the hook after dark, too; especially if the crays are active. Short hooklink (3-4inches). They'll hoover up everything that tastes, smells or feels like a maggot in the vicinity.

Oh yes, nearly forgot.....................................

I fish my maggot feeder bolt-rigged. :D :cool:

Hi Julian,

I use the Fox Inline feeder. Small swivel fits snugly into the base creating the bolt effect. Drennan have now brought out some larger flat-bottomed inline feeders which I think are perfect for the job. Fluoro link.

Once you get the chub going on this method, a quiver-tip + running line will drive you potty striking air, especially since they have this thing about trying to shake all the bait out of the feeder!

Bolt-rig and, once the chub are in the swim, sit on your hands.

Just to throw another iron in the fire, do any of the users of long hairs on bolt rigs use any form of circle hook in their set up? I only ask because I`ve used circles a fair bit but I`m still having a degree of doubt as to which is most efficient with them; long or short hair rigs. Also the question of long or short hooklinks too and any combination of the aforementioned, I have had most success using short hooklinks and short hair rigs with them but have heard conflicting evidence to the contrary from some reliable sources...any thoughts?

Mic

Just to throw another iron in the fire, do any of the users of long hairs on bolt rigs use any form of circle hook in their set up? I only ask because I`ve used circles a fair bit but I`m still having a degree of doubt as to which is most efficient with them; long or short hair rigs. Also the question of long or short hooklinks too and any combination of the aforementioned, I have had most success using short hooklinks and short hair rigs with them but have heard conflicting evidence to the contrary from some reliable sources...any thoughts?

Mic

Circle Hooks = Short hair + 6" hooklength.. ;)

Simon I generally use them shorter than that, 3 to 4in max. I`ve found short hair,tight to the shank on a circle and as short a hooklink as I can possibly tie. But I reiterate I have aquantances who swear by long hooklinks with 1 to 1.5 in hairs on a circle hook are also deadly. Really when thinking about the mechanics of a circle hook the longer option should be more effective. just wondered if anyone here had dabbled, I`m loathe to change my already successful setup as bites are rare enough on the Thames without blowing any chances I get.

Mic

Mic,

I have used them (in certain water conditions) on long (3 feet soft braid) links and they work just fine.

Just as fine as they work on a 6" coated braid link.

I think you need some play in the link for them to work their magic, but if you're catching on that short a link, then fair do's. :)

Circle hooks for chub? That'll never catch on.........................:D

Ah well you were justly rewarded. It's always the way though, anyone who is willing to put the effort in will reap the rewards. I live a little further afield but going to have a good ol crack for chub and hopefully my first barbel before the seasons up. I have come to the idea that the more time you spend down the river the more chance you have. A few months ago I was struggling with the constant blanks but now its warming up and there is more sun I am seeing the happy side of being down the river once again. However I am still blanking. Down the Loddon yesterday for Barbel or chub but there was a lot of horrible coloured water coming out of a nearby brook which another angler down there had said had put the fish off feeding. Will hopefully try another night session during the week after work.
But once again what an amazing fish. It's something to look forward to for myself. You never know what the river has on offer.

Congrats Julian that ranks right up there with Keiths 17+ barbel on the float. That chub is mahoosive!!!!

Wonderful capture and doubly nice to see an 8 come out to someone deliberately targetting one.

Well done Julian, a fish of a lifetime and richly deserved. :cool:

thats one hell of a chub ,and just reward for your dedication and effort you've put into getting it .the first picture says it all really .well done what a fantastic catch

Well done Julian, was your bait a pie (or two).:D

All the better for being a purposely targeted quarry.:)

Thats what really ticked the box for me Colin, he deliberatly went out to target an 8, - no small task, and came close more than once, top angling Julian, very very well deserved ;)

Ian.

With a bit of Julian's "Luck" doing the rounds I also had my biggest of the current Winter season last night. Not a monster, but a little 6.14 sister to keep Julian's Mum company. :)

picture.php

Back