• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

chub

9lbs! NINE POUNDS! Blimey, amazing fish, this thread has taken chub fishing into the realms of fantasy...I can't help thinking that the big rivers like the Trent, Thames etc could throw up the first confirmed double figure chub, an amazing thought. My dad still reminds me of a time when he was fishing matches that if someone weighed in a 3lb 'monster', they soon had an audience!

Well I'll join the party with my best his season, a pork pie of a chub which went 6.8 from the Colne, and on the same fishery I have spotted a chub that may well not look out of place with the biggest in this thread, it is truly gigantic and I hope that next season it is kind to me.

Well done all.

8z2q6p.jpg

Talk about nuisance Chub, here is one i caught last night at 9lb 1oz from the TT, not a nuisance at all but a lifetimes best.

thats a stonking great chub ,i've had a fair few 6+ chub out from the trent (whilst barbel fishing at night) and have been sort of hoping maybe a seven would turn up too scoffle my barbel bait ,but a nine would be too much too hope for ,looks like i'm going too have too try harder and get back too just fishing for chub .if it was me ,i think i'd probably of exploded !

congratulations on such a monster catch

Hi Julian,

I live fairly close to the Windrush and I drive straight past it to the Thames! It is a shadow of its former self, for chub and barbel and I very much doubt you would be able to replicate anything like the same success you've had this year on whatever river it was you were fishing.

Plenty of great chub fishing on the Thames around Oxford though mate, so you may be better shifting your focus to there.

Stu

P.S. I'm conscious that sounds very negative/ dismissive, but in case you're at all concerned about mis-information, there should be a few others on here that can confirm what I've said.

Unlike Keith, most of my Chub fishing is just for fun.

I'm really enjoying my Chub fishing at the moment....

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

Hi Steve,

Wonderful to see these pictures of your chub on the 'pin. It's encouraged me to think about having a go in a similar fashion next season.

Glad that you shared them with us all.

Rob

Last edited:
Sorry I missed this when first posted but caught up with it in the "Times" What a Chub Jon. To coin a phrase it's a "Clonker" . Well done

Brian

decided to have a summer chubbing session this week after work and since not done much chubbing out of winter wondered how my bait choice looks , will be on middle trent and planning on liquidized bread and hookbaits of edam cheese , flake and lobworms

Not sure how I missed your pics before Stevo, but that small stream looks proper 'Matthews Territory' lol
Had a nice lumpy 4plusser from the Bristol Avon yesterday on hemp intended for Roach, hairy moments near snags on a 2lbs bottom............
I do love winter chubbing, equally I love free-lining for them in the summer, crust, worms etc. Also used to catch a fair few summer chub on spinners..........Often derided by barbel anglers, they are a worthy adversary on the right tackle !

decided to have a summer chubbing session this week after work and since not done much chubbing out of winter wondered how my bait choice looks , will be on middle trent and planning on liquidized bread and hookbaits of edam cheese , flake and lobworms

Locally around these parts they love summer sweetcorn.

Hi Julian,

I live fairly close to the Windrush and I drive straight past it to the Thames! It is a shadow of its former self, for chub and barbel and I very much doubt you would be able to replicate anything like the same success you've had this year on whatever river it was you were fishing.

Plenty of great chub fishing on the Thames around Oxford though mate, so you may be better shifting your focus to there.

Stu

P.S. I'm conscious that sounds very negative/ dismissive, but in case you're at all concerned about mis-information, there should be a few others on here that can confirm what I've said.

Only just read this. Yes Stuart, I will readily confirm your findings on the Windrush. Like the Cherwell, it is a very pale shadow of what it once was. I have fished it for trout now and then and that is really all there is in there apart from crayfish! Hardly ever see a chub or a barbel any more. A lovely river ruined, I'm not going to say by what, but all the little Thames tributaries have declined alarmingly over the past few years

Hey guys its getting time for chub so heres a quick question . I know mince and steak usually comes into its own later in year but now temps are chilling does anyone reckon it will produce now ?

was planning on chubbing session tomorow but with the rain Trent is rising a little so steak and mince might be out window but cheese paste and lobworm may work

What hooks do you lads use for bread? I trot big lumps of flake and until now stuck with drennan carbon specimen in 12's or 10's. They were nice, light hooks.
Can't find them anywhere, have they been de-listed?? Any other patterns to try??

Steve I'm using the Drennan carbon feeder hooks nice and light and strong , had barbel to just under double figures and never had one let me down

Cheers GE. Popped into kings today and got some drennan specimens. I'll try them tomorrow......i hate changing hook patterns, it lowers my confidence :(

Back