• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Chris Yates Rod/Reel Collection

Andrew, that pile of rods awaiting restoration, you've either been spending some serious wonga, or you've been having some serious luck. All three of those are big money rods.

I'm still restoring a few and currently have a Sealey Octofloat de-luxe under way (nearly finished) a Precision Tudor Supreme and I finally managed to get my hands on a Swimversa, Sadly a snapped tip one, but I'll probably get a Chapmans replacement.

The Walker landing net sounds nice. Agutters by any chance? I seem to remeber that they do one but I've never seen one. Some of the hooped Ash nets are very nice too. I think Barder do one and I know that Paul Cook does them too.
Luck and wonga, far too much in one case for it's condition but did well reselling some other rods on ebay so bit the bullet and put an mental bid on the hunter and roach perfection, won them both with over £100 left in the pot.

going to look at a friends swimversa to see if i still want one or if a craftversa would be more what i want.

the net was from another enthusiast and looks the part but is not up to Agutters standard although very usable, and less than a third the price;)

just picked up an `allcocks adonis` on fleabay a couple of weeks ago for a really good price. its been restored but as I like to use em occasionally on unplanned trips combined with a pin,cant decide which one to use :D

Cane rods are great for close in work and especially for touch legering, but you wouldnt want to use it for chucking a great big feeder out in a flood so its horses for courses.

Mostly use my ones on rivers like the loddon, teme, arrow,st pats etc saving the more modern carbons for the trent wye and severn etc.

One of my most enjoyable catches on the Teme involved a 1957 MKv1 carp rod and a 1915 12 spoke aerial which produced a 10.2 barbel to touch legering, but yet again I also enjoyed using my fox kevlar and a shimano baitrunner for 15 barbel to 9.5 on the wye in a flood last October using 5 oz feeders:D
Both events brought a great big grin to my face as its all about the enjoyment of fishing
Alan

just picked up an `allcocks adonis` on fleabay a couple of weeks ago for a really good price. its been restored but as I like to use em occasionally on unplanned trips combined with a pin,cant decide which one to use :D

Cane rods are great for close in work and especially for touch legering, but you wouldnt want to use it for chucking a great big feeder out in a flood so its horses for courses.

Mostly use my ones on rivers like the loddon, teme, arrow,st pats etc saving the more modern carbons for the trent wye and severn etc.

One of my most enjoyable catches on the Teme involved a 1957 MKv1 carp rod and a 1915 12 spoke aerial which produced a 10.2 barbel to touch legering, but yet again I also enjoyed using my fox kevlar and a shimano baitrunner for 15 barbel to 9.5 on the wye in a flood last October using 5 oz feeders:D
Both events brought a great big grin to my face as its all about the enjoyment of fishing
Alan

Amazingly enough there are cane rods that can handle mahseer, and people used to catch tunny with rods made of that material.
Surely anything is better than a carbon tube, take a Hexagraph for example.

Regards

Hugo

Amazingly enough there are cane rods that can handle mahseer, and people used to catch tunny with rods made of that material.

Then again, I did make an excellent, private, mahseer-fishing trip possible - my contacts in India, with no money changing hands, after being asked by a man I knew in the West End posh tackle trade - for this chap: http://www.workhardfishhard.com/collection.php

He might have used glass or carbon then, but now surely deserves the cane...

Back