• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cat among the pigeons!

Steve.

You say a whole piece that back up your claim, and then back again to me being judgemental, that sours the taste of the response?

It's simply am alternative view, you don't have to try and belittle people just because we disagree.

Its back to the suggestion I use light line recklessly, and prolonged fights. It's simply not true.

I asked a question on do people know why they use braid over mono, it seems from the response, some have a good reason, others out of habbit neither are wrong or right.

Richard.

I carp fish too, so should know-all about the modern braids. to be honest i still find even less reason to use it for carp. With barbel I can understand the abrasion argument, but if that is sound, why not use it right through?
What i don't understand is when folk say a 3'' piece of braid and then a foot length of 20lb fluorocarbon is as supple as soft nylon.

Surly the idea of the rig your talking about the combi is for 90% the rig to be stiff. How does that beat a full supple hook-link? Or a full braid link? But i for one am open to discuss it.

Richard, I think the voyage into the choppy seas of conflict may have began with your opening post-and you have restated the question above. Don't you think it's a little provocative to ask if people know why they use braid? Why would you presume people don't consider or think about their set up?

I'm not sure how many times it needs to be said- if you are confident in the rigs you use, then that's great. And the same applies to us all. The best bait, rig, hook, rod and reel combination is the one that has just produced a fish. It might not work in the next cast or the next swim. Part of the joy of fishing I think for many is the need to adapt to the different conditions we face.

As for the question of braid and it's use for the last element of the hooklength, I think it is generally far superior to mono or fluro if you feel you need the most natural presentation at the business end of that rig. But again, whether this actually makes a difference is perhaps irrelevant because what matters is whether or not it gives the angler confidence.

Richard, I think the voyage into the choppy seas of conflict may have began with your opening post-and you have restated the question above. Don't you think it's a little provocative to ask if people know why they use braid? Why would you presume people don't consider or think about their set up?

I'm not sure how many times it needs to be said- if you are confident in the rigs you use, then that's great. And the same applies to us all. The best bait, rig, hook, rod and reel combination is the one that has just produced a fish. It might not work in the next cast or the next swim. Part of the joy of fishing I think for many is the need to adapt to the different conditions we face.

As for the question of braid and it's use for the last element of the hooklength, I think it is generally far superior to mono or fluro if you feel you need the most natural presentation at the business end of that rig. But again, whether this actually makes a difference is perhaps irrelevant because what matters is whether or not it gives the angler confidence.

I for one think it should be left at that. Well said Howard.

What a great post good points well made !

Howard I think the title of the thread says it all . We all make our informed choice and pays our money ? What rod / reel /line /hooks / landing net etc etc .... Even down to the car we drive to go fishing in .

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/put-set-the-cat-among-the-pigeons

In low breaking strains il go for mono, I often use a 3lb hook length for summer Chub. Stalking etc.
If I'm fishing for Barbel consciously then I opt for a braided hooklength of 8-10lb.
Can I reason why? Well my catch rate by dropping to low BS mono goes way up but I don't think I'd land a Stour or Avon Barbel on that gear. I know I'm not going to crack a 10lb hooklength by accident, in these ratings I feel both mono and flouro feel a bit crude.
Maybe it's time to experiment with some 7lb modern match style mono...

Back