• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cane and Pin

Agreed that the Hexagraph is a superb bit of kit, but what would be the ultimate cane & pin combination?

Darren

Crikey - a Barder and Chris Lythe? I've never seen either in the flesh, but their respective reputations precede them.....

How dare you the Golden Eagle is a proper pin, OK it doesn't spin for 5 minutes not even 5 seconds, but it's a great ledgering tool, becoming rare too, make me a sensible offer and I might be persuaded :rolleyes:

Well, Neil, I stand corrected in that case. As it's such a lovely reel I really couldn't bear to take it off your hands - the guilt would kill me. :)

I use a pin on small rivers as for me its the best tool for the job, but this year I will also add my Fred Crouch barbel perfection cane as a tribute to the late great man himself:)
im hoping to do Freds memory justice by catching a few good uns with one of his rods, ill post any significant catches along with a piccie or two

Tight lines

Alan

Fantastic tribute - and on the Lea too?

I look forward to your updates. :)

Hi men,

Slightly off track , how far do people go with antique/vintage tackle ?. I fished a nice carp water once when a well known tackle collector turned up , he set up 3 cane rods with matching out of date reels :p , and after settling into a bay swim made me a cuppa :D. It looked slightly odd , no very very odd :eek: with the cane carp rods sitting on delkims with PTFE bobbins ,on top of the range stainless ( I know it was top of the range , because it was me that made / supplied them to Leslie's of Luton ), and some popup tiger nuts hair rigged topped it off !. Nice bloke who I bought a nice cane rod off ;) , as he used to buy and sell as well .

So where does that story lead me ? , well surely if you get pleasure from cane / pins , antique tackle , old stuff , and dressing up like Chris Yates :D then the natural progression would to horsehair lines :D :p:D

Just jesting with you fellas :p

Hatter

Well, Neil, I stand corrected in that case. As it's such a lovely reel I really couldn't bear to take it off your hands - the guilt would kill me. :)

Please, the thought that it would go to someone who would cherish it and catch
beautiful Barbel, would feel the void.:)

Hi men,

Slightly off track , how far do people go with antique/vintage tackle ?. I fished a nice carp water once when a well known tackle collector turned up , he set up 3 cane rods with matching out of date reels :p , and after settling into a bay swim made me a cuppa :D. It looked slightly odd , no very very odd :eek: with the cane carp rods sitting on delkims with PTFE bobbins ,on top of the range stainless ( I know it was top of the range , because it was me that made / supplied them to Leslie's of Luton ), and some popup tiger nuts hair rigged topped it off !. Nice bloke who I bought a nice cane rod off ;) , as he used to buy and sell as well .

So where does that story lead me ? , well surely if you get pleasure from cane / pins , antique tackle , old stuff , and dressing up like Chris Yates :D then the natural progression would to horsehair lines :D :p:D

Just jesting with you fellas :p

Hatter

It's a bit like getting into a vintage car, the smell of old leather, the rosewood dashboard, the soft lines, the problems start when you actually need to get somewhere:)

For me it's not so much about the age, whether something is regarded as vintage or an antique, it's the craftsmanship that has gone into making some of this stuff. Hours of toil by highly skilled craftsman and mostly out of passion rather than the pursuit of riches. I admire that enormously. A Witcher is just ridiculously, gloriously, beautiful. Mr Barder operates from his barn about a mile from my house and after visiting him in his workshop, and seeing how he works it's difficult not to be bowled over by the the exquisite attention to detail. So the stepped up Kennet perfection is on order. I will use it, now and again I suspect, on the Kennet and probably on a summers evening casting about with a half ounce lead. Mind you the next day I might head to the Wye and lob a 3 oz feeder as far as I can with my 1.75lb Torrix and Diawa Caldia and enjoy that just as much.

During the close season I did also pick up an Allcocks Aerial circa 1930 and in terms of looks, weight, functionality it's hard to think of something better equipped for the job. Isn't that amazing? Over 80 years old and in many respects, despite all the technology advances we have witnessed in that time, it's rarely been bettered. I am even going to open the season with it. As for line, something from the range of recommendations on the current reel line thread.

Well Rich, I do have a ticket for parts of the Lea close to where Fred used to fish :D so I will be giving that a go although the last time I fished it (3yrs) all I caught were crays and saw an enormous otter on the far bank which then swam down to my mate about 150 yrds faster than Bolt can run on a good day:eek:
Despite this there are still some good fish in there so I will definitely give it a couple of goes and hope to have some success
Ill let you know how I get on

Tight lines

Alan

P.S Howard you say Witcher which I agree is fantastic, I will be using my Barbus made by Garry Mills which also has my initials on it and has already landed me several doubles from various rivers. Absolutely love it, a 50th bday pressie and well worth it.:D

Hi men,

A special rod given as a pressy to our grandson Eddie by a good friend , and apparently will only gain in value ;)

Hatter

Hi men,

John , its history seems to be a Hardy Avon ;) , and it's been refurbished to a high standard :D . Its a pressy from a good friend on the birth of our grandson Eddie , and will be first used in anger by him when he is old enough ( soon ).

Hatter

one very nice present mark:) dont forget to lay it flat and out of the bag mate
i wouldn,t even try to guess its value in 20 years time:eek::)

...but sold him short with theIntrepid deluxe reel though. Get i'm a proper Pin for Gaw'ds sake if you really care. x (can't find the smiley things otherwise they'd be winking).

Richard its debateable mate, i have fished built cane rods for50 odd years now and ll mine were stored under the bed or on top of the wardrobe and only once
did they come to harm ect that was when my son liberated some of them from me :eek:

Back