• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cane and Pin

Ian Hugo Arnott

I was just pondering how many members use a cane rod and a centre pin. Would be very interested to know.

Regards,

Hugo

Certainly use a pin Hugo and hoping to incorporate it more into my fishing this season. Will be giving cane a go next season though and am looking forward to that. I suspect, however, that it will be an every now and again experience to be honest. For now I just cheat and use a Hexagraph instead.

Why? Is there any other way to catch beards??

Please Jeff they are not ' Beards' the are Barbel :)
And no I don't use a cane and pin, in fact I don't use either:(
And yes what can match the singing of a 'runner' and the bend of carbon fibre?

Silly old farts.:rolleyes:

Certainly use a pin Hugo and hoping to incorporate it more into my fishing this season. Will be giving cane a go next season though and am looking forward to that. I suspect, however, that it will be an every now and again experience to be honest. For now I just cheat and use a Hexagraph instead.

Never really used a pin with any conviction,apart from the ones that were only available as a kid, and they were rubbish, the stamp of which that could be purchased from my paper round salary. But I do have a mint SHaky Golden Eagle that might look good on your hex H.

Open to offers..

Never really used a pin with any conviction,apart from the ones that were only available as a kid, and they were rubbish, the stamp of which that could be purchased from my paper round salary. But I do have a mint SHaky Golden Eagle that might look good on your hex H.

Open to offers..

It would indeed Neil. But after overreaching myself during the close season with some pin purchases I am more in the market to sell some of the pins I have but seldom use. The Hex is certainly pretty enough to match an even prettier pin.

Luckily, despite my pathetic casting ability, many of the swims on the Kennet require nothing more than a very gentle lob. The sound of a pin bursting into life is incredibly addictive.

I was just pondering how many members use a cane rod and a centre pin. Would be very interested to know.

Regards,

Hugo

Hello Hugo . Cane and pin I use the majority of the time for most species . Pins are brilliant if trotting or I don't have to cast too far . The Wallis cast is not my strong point ...

I'm not keen on the the wallis cast either mike, prefer the Heptonstall fling! I always use a pin for the float and I'm going to try use my cane n pin as much as I can this season. I was given a cane fly rod by some kind customer a few weeks back. I won't go back to my "old" carbon one!

I inherited two Wallis Wizzards , used to use them with my Dad, often consider giving them a run out, more for nostalgia than any other reason. Also have Dick Walker Mk 4 carp rods and have the same view on those. Prefer the Torrix and Shimano EXTEA for day to day work!

It would indeed Neil. But after overreaching myself during the close season with some pin purchases I am more in the market to sell some of the pins I have but seldom use. The Hex is certainly pretty enough to match an even prettier pin.

Luckily, despite my pathetic casting ability, many of the swims on the Kennet require nothing more than a very gentle lob. The sound of a pin bursting into life is incredibly addictive.

The mere suggestion of a Golden Eagle matched with a Hexagraph is a crime against, well, perhaps just a crime. Please Neil - surely only a match the angling correspondent of the News Of The World would come up with - and I'm sure you've delivered a few of those in your time?

Back to Hugo's question:

Yes, my new 11' cane barbel rod is (hopefully) is transit as we speak, and was lovingly (pure conjecture, I know) made by Ryan Burton (of Ryan Burns' in Redditch). Together with Fred Crouch Jets I hope to capture a barbel or two during the opening week. I was using a MKIV carp at the back end of last season, and have also acquired a Hexagraph Avon (No 2) during the close season. Not cane, I know, but made with similar care and attention to detail. :)

The mere suggestion of a Golden Eagle matched with a Hexagraph is a crime against, well, perhaps just a crime. Please Neil - surely only a match the angling correspondent of the News Of The World would come up with - and I'm sure you've delivered a few of those in your time?

Back to Hugo's question:

Yes, my new 11' cane barbel rod is (hopefully) is transit as we speak, and was lovingly (pure conjecture, I know) made by Ryan Burton (of Ryan Burns' in Redditch). Together with Fred Crouch Jets I hope to capture a barbel or two during the opening week. I was using a MKIV carp at the back end of last season, and have also acquired a Hexagraph Avon (No 2) during the close season. Not cane, I know, but made with similar care and attention to detail. :)

How dare you the Golden Eagle is a proper pin, OK it doesn't spin for 5 minutes not even 5 seconds, but it's a great ledgering tool, becoming rare too, make me a sensible offer and I might be persuaded :rolleyes:

I generally use a centre pin, and we always use pins and cane rods first week of the season for all fishing - just for the craic really. Otherwise, pin and hexagraph for me.

I use a pin on small rivers as for me its the best tool for the job, but this year I will also add my Fred Crouch barbel perfection cane as a tribute to the late great man himself:)
im hoping to do Freds memory justice by catching a few good uns with one of his rods, ill post any significant catches along with a piccie or two

Tight lines

Alan

Back