• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

brolly recomendation for roving

Colin Dapp

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi
I 'm looking for a new brolly for roving for barbel.
it should be as light as possible
It doesn't have to be a huge diameter, 45 inch ribs are more than adequate,
It should also be able to be erected swiftly.
I'm not looking at any particular budget
What can you good people recomend?

Thanks in advance

Korum graphite for me.
Adapt some storm pole adapters to fit the 7mm ribs.
Bloody love mine.
Here is a little write up I did on it.

Thanks Richard
all the Korum Graphites are labelled 50 inch ribs. Are there different ones?

I bought the Korum supersteel a few years ago. The fabric and the reinforced areas are such it is highly unlikely to leak. Unfortunately, mine looks as if it's someone's first attempt on the assembly line. Either that or it's a Monday morning or Friday afternoon job. Everything about it is crooked and shoddy. Having played around with a lot of brollies it does have the best components but the runner (hub) still relies on coat hanger wire to hold the ribs in place.

I went for the 50 inch version as my partner sometimes joins me. With the pole placed at the back it covers two people comfortably. It weighs nearly 3kg and for a short nine stone weakling like myself it's a nightmare to put up if there is a hint of wind. Mine has a mind of its own and as soon as it's removed from the quiver it wants to open which is potentially disastrous as the canopy needs to be unfurled first. With most umbrellas a good shake will unfurl the canopy. If this isn't done before setting it up the ribs can bend out of shape and the stretchers break. The material used for the canopy of the supersteel is heavy so you ending up having to unfurl the umbrella mostly by hand while struggling to prevent it from opening.

Once set up and pegged down it offers great protection. I have used it in strong winds but have now invested in storm poles and fittings which stay in the van.

Most of the time I get away with a golfing umbrella but the current one is ancient, bright yellow, and has started to leak. I can't seem to find a green one...

Like Kevin I have a Greys which is very lightweight and offers good cover but personally I don’t think that they are worth the money! I bought mine online but if I’d viewed the build quality in a shop would not have paid the price. I could have sent it back…yes! but couldn’t be arsed with the aggro. That’ll teach me to support my local tackle shop in future. IMO the build quality is no better than a thirty quid budget brolly ☹️

I think brollies and roving about are mutually exclusive . If you are anything like me , once I am under the brolly I'm loath to move !
Agree with this, plus I detest fishing under a static brolly. I do use one of the fortis brollys (basically a golf brolly) to cover me in heavy showers when roving otherwise will rely on waterproofs

You can have this one FOC. 😊

IMG_3202.JPG

I agree about the brolly .v. roving dilemma. If I am determined to travel the lehgth of the river bank I leave the brolly in the car and rely on a poncho. The American Army ones are made from a rubberised material and are100% waterproof. When sat on a fishing chair it covers me, the chair, my bag and the bait bucket. And they keep everything except the rod dry when moving about.

I agree with you Clive. A poncho is ideal when moving from swim to swim. I have one with proper sleeves in it (some just have slits) and it's big enough to cover my lightweight chair. However, you really have to "pair down" your tackle and just take what's absolutely necessary.

I got the Nufish skylight a couple or three years ago and I reckon it's about as light a brolly you could get for a 50".

A few pole configurations and tilt options make it quite adaptable to differing bank conditions. I sat under it during an unrelenting torrent on Sunday and it never leaked a single drop.

Try Ebay for a Diawa Mission lightweight brolly, whilst probably no longer available to buy new if you can get one 2nd hand it's the lightest brolly I have and although it has needed the Tenacious Tape treatment a couple of times still serves me well after many years ;)

Back