• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

brolly recomendation for roving

Try Ebay for a Diawa Mission lightweight brolly, whilst probably no longer available to buy new if you can get one 2nd hand it's the lightest brolly I have and although it has needed the Tenacious Tape treatment a couple of times still serves me well after many years ;)
Just had a look and can't see the one I have but there must be one out there 🧐

US and even cheaper and lighter!
Don't get the rip-stop one. It is not waterproof and is only suitable for when you are walking, not sitting. At best it could be described as shower proof like a packaway nylon jacket. It is OK as a tarp strung between poles or trees or as a camo' screen.

I've taken the threads out of an old rod rest drilled and glued it in to a mill tech camo brolly, so it can attach to a bankstick with a prologic quick release adapter, weighs next to nothing

Attachments

• 20210909_161657.jpg
    20210909_161657.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 196
  • 20210909_161728.jpg
    20210909_161728.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 195
I replaced my Korum fibre brolly with a Nufish one because it was utterly useless in a strong wind, even with pegs and cord. It folded up like a tulip. Nufish is a bit heavier but much better quality. I don’t take a brolly when roving however, just waterproofs.

even with pegs and cord.
I’d say probably more fault of the user than the product.
It stands to logical reason that Storm poles pinning the ends of the ribs down are the only way to properly secure one in high powerful winds.

Peg and cord em out as much as you like if you ain’t got the front secured the brand of brolley won’t help if a gust gets under it.
31C34FDB-A976-47F9-A061-9D813EC4820A.jpeg

Storm poles are essential in high winds (except Eunace!) but they are so heavy, so not suitable for roving. Stick to the poncho idea or good quality waterproofs.

Admittedly I don’t use storm poles, but I can say that all my other brollies have been better than the Korum one and several other users have made the same criticism of the Korum one as I have in past threads. The ribs are not up to the job in very strong winds. I don’t have issues with my current brolly, so it’s clearly not a user issue.

Hi all out on Wednesday evening, my Grey's umbrella, blew inside out on three occasions, each time breaking a rib and ripping the nylon! So now going in the bin. Definitely not worth £65 plus!

Korum may have upgraded this brolly, in which case my criticism may not be valid. Mine is about 5 years old.
I don’t know if they have updated it or not but mine has been exceptionally good. It was out on Wednesday in those 50-60 mph howlers and it took a proper battering and stayed put. Obviously those pole were stuffed deep into the ground or it would of been a pile of scrap now.

Hi all out on Wednesday evening, my Grey's umbrella, blew inside out on three occasions, each time breaking a rib and ripping the nylon! So now going in the bin. Definitely not worth £65 plus!
Wednesday it was seriously windy like today. 50mph plus. How can you expect any brolly at any cost or name to survive that if you don’t use storm poles to keep it from being turned out.

Once they turn inside out they are unlikely to come back without damage.

It’s not the brolleys fault

I use a Korum graphite brolly and was out yesterday. With one guy rope it survived gusts to a guesstimated 30-35 mph.

Many years ago I tried some of the early fibre brollies and they were a joke in windy weather. The Korum one I have is a different animal.

I've had a Korum lightweight for a dozen years or so, and still going strong. Admittedly, I never put it up facing the wind (seems like a very daft idea), and just peg the back down. It's withstood some stormy weather. Sure, the vanes get pushed down during a very strong gust - however I would say that's expected behaviour.
It was even blown into the Dove a few years ago. I gave chase (on the bank) and when I reached the farthest navigable point a gust of wind miraculously blew it towards me on the bank. God, I love the Dove! 🤣

I use a Korum graphite brolly and was out yesterday. With one guy rope it survived gusts to a guesstimated 30-35 mph.

Many years ago I tried some of the early fibre brollies and they were a joke in windy weather. The Korum one I have is a different animal.
Yeah them ribs will take some force to break em.
7mm solid carbon, you’d have to really go at one to snap it that’s for sure.

I've had a Korum lightweight for a dozen years or so, and still going strong. Admittedly, I never put it up facing the wind (seems like a very daft idea), and just peg the back down. It's withstood some stormy weather. Sure, the vanes get pushed down during a very strong gust - however I would say that's expected behaviour.
It was even blown into the Dove a few years ago. I gave chase (on the bank) and when I reached the farthest navigable point a gust of wind miraculously blew it towards me on the bank. God, I love the Dove! 🤣
Rich you saw my Korum on the Lower severn. In fact you were kind enough to take a photo and send it to me. Looked like it was holding the water out nicely at that point, as it floated past you

Back