• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

braid for mainline

Wayne Glossop

Hi chaps. Just after a bit of advice really, as iv never used braid but im fishing a new river and braid may seem a better option. Can anybody recommend a decent braid for the mainline of around 25lb
Best wishe

Far too heavy mate needs to be no more than 30lb

I used Power Pro moss green in 20 pound, some use 30. Braid is thinner and more responsive, it can be a problem on rivers with rough beds such as the Wye. I moved back to mono at the start of the season after 4 seasons on braid, I have now reverted back to braid, mono was a lot thicker, I have an inkling it cost me some bites and it certainly cost me more tackle/ feeders/ rigs when snagged. Braid will also last a few seasons if looked after. As a trial you could try braid and mono on separate rods.

That’s not a reason Wayne it’s a mantra. You cannot put more weight on the hook than your rod will let you, but you can pull your gear out of weed, a tree, and land a Weybridge Ladies Rowing Club eight if you ever start fishing the Thames.
Your magical surprise will exceed all expectations if you bag yourself one of those!

Wayne

I would urge you not to use braid at all as it definitely damages the fish (I have seen it with my own eyes) and it only has to go near a rock and it will cut. Knots tend to slip more easily with braid as well which only adds to the likelihood of fish being left attached to rigs. No angler who seriously cares for the Barbel he targets would ever use braid. Mono will do everything required when fishing for Barbel...if it 'aint broke why try and fix it?

This is absolute rubbish,I've been using braid for the last 3 years and caught in excess of 80 barbel and a lot of chub which I don't count but probably more and I can honestly say that I haven't seen any fish damage.I do use longish hook links ie 24 inches or so.Like others I dont use it on the Wye where the rocks cut can cut through your mainline and this would prove to be expensive but as a result of using braid I've definitely caught fish that would have been otherwise lost.

Wayne

I would urge you not to use braid at all as it definitely damages the fish (I have seen it with my own eyes) and it only has to go near a rock and it will cut. Knots tend to slip more easily with braid as well which only adds to the likelihood of fish being left attached to rigs. No angler who seriously cares for the Barbel he targets would ever use braid. Mono will do everything required when fishing for Barbel...if it 'aint broke why try and fix it?

4 seasons on braid now and would never go back, and as above over 100 barbel without issue or witnessing braid caused fish damage, probably 80% of the anglers that specifically target barbel that I know use it

Have you ever tried using Braid yourself Chris?

do you use braided hook lengths?

how about barbed hooks?

Last edited:
That’s the real reason behind me not using it under 55 lb. At 25lb braid is like cheese wire and it can damage fish, not often perhaps but why take a chance?

However, I know it’s hard to believe when you listen to some of the rhetoric spouted by the self-opinionated great and good, but its supposedly a free world and if club rules allow and you think you have it covered, go for it.

Had over 1500 barbel from the Trent and non the worse using a braided mainline. For me there is a possibility of damage using a braid hooklength and thats why I use a combi. Some people speak a lot of rubbish when they don't read the subject matter, which is braided mainline, which IMO SHOULD ALWAYS BE USED WITH A LEADER.......

Braid all the way as for damaging fish sorry I don't believe this where ever I have fished in the world it's been braid but when it comes to the barbel well that's different lol

Sorrg but how many of you actually use braided hooklengths one of the reasons i have stopped posting on here is the fact that "some" cant help but comment on things that are not whats been asked. Yeah its a forum and yeah we have our opinions if you dont agree with what ever then fair enough but if you can help even better. However the conclusion is power pro slick 8.
Thanks to all with realtive productive comments!!!!!!

Nothing wrong with braided mainline apart from the cost. Used 25lb power pro for years but went back to mono as I wanted some stretch. If you are using braid make sure you are using forgiving rods or you will pull hooks.

I use power pro for all my predator fishing pretty much, no need to get the slick version, standard power pro really takes some beating

i use braid as my main line, but all my rig including feeder and hook lenght are on mono, rivers like wye ribble need mono, due to rocks etc

Fished the same river as you Wayne with braid for the last 3 seasons with no problems,running rig,combi hook link and as Jon says leader a must gets my vote.

Back