• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Boilies for Tench

Sorry lads not been on for a few days, I use them for carp as I don't do any tench fishing but my freind who is an avid tencher has been smashing them on the mussels,
I am planning on giving them a go for the barbel and chub as Martin James has been doing well on them

If he's been 'smashing' em this spring then they must be some sort of wonder bait ! will have to give em a go ;)

My good mate Tony King (Buddah) used to work for Pallatrax, being as he is a very succesful Tench bloke i will have to ask him why he never told me about the Mussels, sneaky little toerag ;)

I think when I next go down to horseshoe I am gonna have ago for the tench as I dint really fish for them anymore,
I am gonna rehydrate the mussels I'n the water from a tin of corn mixed with some hemp water they have gotta love that!

Good advice all round there from lots of experienced anglers. If I had to stay with one effective method for Tinca's then it would be maggots and casters in th efeeder / bag / mesh / whatever with plastic ones on the hook to avoid the bits. If you were a Tench swimming along and you came upon a load of small fish scoffing their heads off on casters, what would you do?

Richard

In my tench waters the problem is the nuisance fish, extremely aggressive small roach and rudd. Forget maggots/casters, even 3-4 grains of corn is chewed to bits in seconds, they are like pirhanas.

I rate lobworms as the best of all baits for tench. Big lobworms can sometimes last long enough, I would use them all the time if it wasn't for the nuisance fish. Tutti Frutti boilies (yellow or orange) is the safest bet among the pirhanas, in my experience.

Lars,

Hence my advice to use plastic maggots and casters.......if you have yet to take the leap of faith between plastic and the real thing regarding baits then nobody took longer than myself to make the change, but since then I have absolutely no doubt as to their effectivness,

Richard

In my tench waters the problem is the nuisance fish, extremely aggressive small roach and rudd. Forget maggots/casters, even 3-4 grains of corn is chewed to bits in seconds, they are like pirhanas.

I rate lobworms as the best of all baits for tench. Big lobworms can sometimes last long enough, I would use them all the time if it wasn't for the nuisance fish. Tutti Frutti boilies (yellow or orange) is the safest bet among the pirhanas, in my experience.

was once told the same about a water that's just up the road from me, never bother with mag and caster the bits will play you up all day,

1st thing i did was go and buy a gallon of maggots and half gallon of casters, rubber caster on the hook and caught 76 tench in just over 24hrs on the bank

my top boilie for tench was a mulberry flavoured bait made with a h,n,v fishmeal basemix in 10mm that some of the lads that are on the eastnor syndicate knocked up for me.
Started feeding them while there was still the odd frost every year so when the tench really started to feed they where already well on to the bait,
On one water for a couple of seasons myself and a couple of mates where the only ones picking up any fish at all and where told by the other members that the otters and cormorant's had eaten all the tench when we where averaging between 6 to 8 fish between us most evenings:D

Yes, I admit the rubber baits are not my first choice. Not that I doubt their effectiveness, its just that they are not 'proper' baits. Like fishing tench with a fly... I will probably try them next summer, anyway. Boilies are also pretty 'artificial' to be honest. I am the romantic type, like to do tench fishing in tranquil mornings with a simple float, the Crabtree way...:p

I agree that having lots of smaller fish feeding is a good way of attracting bigger fish. I have also thought about this in my barbel fishing, but this tactic has not proven successful, at least not in the Ribble where I seek the barbel.

Last edited:
Good old everyday cooked mussels from local freezer shop have accounted for at least two 100 pound plus bags of night time tench and bream in the last two years on the float,great fun.

thats a result Mr Law.
As Mr Berry says Paltrax Jungle, but I must say, I never seem to do to well on boilies, naturals are the way forward in my experience and they are quite happy to take imitation which negates the silvers problem.

Good old everyday cooked mussels from local freezer shop have accounted for at least two 100 pound plus bags of night time tench and bream in the last two years on the float,great fun.

What and how do you fish them Andy?

Three serious sessions for tench.

Elips pellets Hair rigged with popped corn on hook with PVA bag.

Nice 8.11 with one bite Tues
A 7lber (est) next day and a nice surprise with a beautiful copper coloured scaled mirror car of 35lb 5oz. Wednesday

Blank on Thursday.

Each session 6 hours approx.

Graham

Im lucky enough to have had hold of mainlines new hybrid for last few months and been doing well on them when nothing else produced.

srawberry or pineapple i have found to be good but years ago i use to use chick peas in maple syrup.which was succesful,so for me sweet.

Back