• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Birmingham Anglers Association

I am totally in favour of night fishing for many of the reasons stated before here. In my experience as an angler and a bailiff there is no extra pressure on a river as people will fish when they want to and not have to cram it in to fixed hours. Night fishing is a different discipline and requires a lot of organisation and a bit more of a methodical approach. Not to mention a higher sense of caution and having your wits about you. That alone will put a large majority off doing it! I would say the night fishing actually relieves the pressure on the day shift at my local waters.

I agree that people who work 9-5 Mon -Fri should be better catered for and no self interest there as I am a shift worker. The biggest pro of course is your members are your eyes and ears of a club, so any related night issues in my experience are significantly reduced by your own people being on the bank. I would say there are more issues surrounding the daytime anglers than the night brigade.

I have no reason to think that barbel or the habitat are affected more by night fishing than day fishing and have not seen anything to the detriment of night fishing, so any comment that it is or could be must be treated as purely anecdotal unless someone actually has some scientific evidence to back this up?!

Right, sundown in an hour, finish my pint and off to the river....:D

Excellent post John and very well put

Good post John and some good points made in favour of night fishing.

Neil,

How come when I make similar if not identical points, you more or less tell me I am talking twaddle? (read back before you argue and make yourself look even dafter) Like I said before Neil, you do seem to take pleasure in disagreeing with me, just because it is me. Forcing you to fish a night seems less and less adequate as a punishment as time goes by :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

Neil,

How come when I make similar if not identical points, you more or less tell me I am talking twaddle? (read back before you argue and make yourself look even dafter) Like I said before Neil, you do seem to take pleasure in disagreeing with me, just because it is me. Forcing you to fish a night seems less and less adequate as a punishment as time goes by :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Dave
I am quite prepared to have my views changed through listening and reading what others have to say, but my views are my views and we can nit pik the merits of either side, and we all could find some agreement on some points.

However I will support what I say about the possible counter productive possibilities of pursuing fish in 'safe' areas as well as fishing for them when they feel safer at night.

But that is all conjecture as to what if any detrimental effect these actions may have. However I personally think it might have some merit.
But it is only fishing, and do we get so precious about such detail?

The real 'problem' is not the possible damage to the fish, but the 'legal' right to night fish, and this is the main argument on here, I merely put another slant on it by trying to discuss the impact such actions could have on the Barbel.

John post was well put, as always are yours, but that doesn't mean I agree with all the points made.

Hope you understand Dave, sorry to give the wrong impression.
Neil

I thought I'd just update you on this. Following the discussions on here I decided that because I was unable to make the BAA's AGM that I would go to the trouble of writing a report detailing some ideas, views, etc and send it to the BAA. I included some of the comments on here although I didn't use any surnames so I hope people do not mind.

Anyway, if you'd like to view the report or stay updated with the BAA's responses view my blog or more specifically the 'My Campaigns' page. It would be great if people could sign in and make some comments and even greater if the BAA take it on board.

Thanks

I'll have another fiddle and let you know. Cheers

Think it should be sorted now so let me know if there's any further problems.

Lee

I have had the same sort of conversation as you with the BAA's Mr Williams.

He did mention that he liked to know who was fishing at night (though why that is different to the daytime I'm not sure) but claimed that it was for insurance purposes and that the limit in terms of numbers was down to insurance.

I suggested to him that a web-based system for buying tickets would be far more attractive to those of us that might want to fish at short notice (or avoid a pointless journey to HQ) and he though that was worth looking into. The conversation was 3 years ago......

I've concluded, maybe wrongly, that there is little to be gained by further effort.

Although I know nothing about BAA other than its an old club with a fine list of venues, I do think that if members have an interest in changing the rules regarding night fishing then they should make proposals to the committee, prior to the AGM.

Somewhere in the rules of BAA it will have a run down of the procedure required. As an ex chair of a local club, I know that we stipulated that anything going to the committee at AGM, should arrive 28 days prior to the meeting and should be seconded by another member.

To say that night fishing is purely an insurance issue just isn't good enough, IMO. Members should use the rules of the club to try and achieve the changes to the club that they want to see made, after all is said and done, its the members club and not just the committee's.

Looks good to me Lee, however I think one reason they'd be put off about the night fishing would be when it conflicts with matches the next morning. Maybe a ban on night fishing before a match?

Although I know nothing about BAA other than its an old club with a fine list of venues, I do think that if members have an interest in changing the rules regarding night fishing then they should make proposals to the committee, prior to the AGM.

Somewhere in the rules of BAA it will have a run down of the procedure required. As an ex chair of a local club, I know that we stipulated that anything going to the committee at AGM, should arrive 28 days prior to the meeting and should be seconded by another member.

To say that night fishing is purely an insurance issue just isn't good enough, IMO. Members should use the rules of the club to try and achieve the changes to the club that they want to see made, after all is said and done, its the members club and not just the committee's.

Spot on

It's a difficult one this Lee, I do understand the the no night fishing rule is flouted by a number of Anglers, a couple of weeks ago there were still about 4anglers fishing long after we had packed up on the Lower 7 and I too have been guilty, well waiting for someone to pack up into dark:rolleyes:y This petition by you come at a time where BAA seem to be stepping up the enforcement of the night fishing ban too, so rather than taking a more 'liberal' view they seem to be enforcing the rule more than ever.
For whatever reason I am not sure, but as was mentioned by Rhys I suspect it is to retain the match bookings, which is their main revenue stream, and without that well.... you know.
On the smaller river venues I can see a potential problem with lifting night fishing, not so on the Lower Severn perhaps? I have had some discussions with John Williams in the past, and I do know you have to be patient, but he has the BAA interests at heart, as demonstrated by this awful proposal of various Hydo electric schemes for our weirs, now that is an issue we should be aware of, and BAA are employing legal representation at great cost to protect our sport.
So forgive me if I say that a couple of hours fishing either way is not as crucial as to whether or not we will have any fishing at all. Perhaps poking fun at the club on here will not serve you too well either, besides you are young, educated, and not a hint of a Brummie accent. I wish you well.:D

Neil, do you have a copy of the balance sheet for BAA? - would be interested to see just how much revenue they get from outside bookings. PM please if you do.
The amount of uptake for night permits could potentially eclipse that?
Or BAA could do both with certain restrictions such as no night fishing the night before a match and make even more cash, which would help the fight against hydro power....

You see I have this theory that I cant really prove, or dispel, but by opening up rivers for night time sessions will have a detrimental effect on the barbel numbers in that bit of river.
Crazy I know.

Neil, I was born and bred in B'ham but you are quite correct, there's very little hint of an accent :) However, at 35 I'm no longer considering myself to be young.

You see I have this theory that I cant really prove, or dispel, but by opening up rivers for night time sessions will have a detrimental effect on the barbel numbers in that bit of river.
Crazy I know.

Neil I think your theory is wrong about night fishing . If as you say it would have a detrimental effect on barbel numbers . Then why do the Barbel Society allow night fishing on there waters ?
As for the Lower 7 when the BAA had there blitz on night fishing a while ago .
I think you will now find they have gone elswhere .
Having fished it a few times since the blitz . I have never seen a baliff .
With all the water they have . The baliffs cant be every where .

To say insurance is the problem seems very weak. If somebody gets hurt while fishing BAA waters are they covered anyway? It's an angling club, not a gun club. As a couple of others have said, BAA don't like night fishing because it has the potential to disrupt match angling with bait going in etc. That, and the most likely reason i.e. John Williams himself doesn't like night fishing, are the reasons it's unlikely to change.

Back