• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Birmingham Anglers Association

Lee Poultney

I have been having a frustrating debate with BAA secretary, John Williams, recently regarding their antiquated night fishing arrangement.

For those that are unaware, the BAA used to be able to claim they were the largest angling club in the country boasting 70,000 members and huge matches. Now before I continue I want to point out that at £30 per year the association provides excellent value for money and a wide range of venues to fish. However, the club has a ‘cornershop’ mentality that refuses to adapt to the ever changing world of angling. Over the past couple of decades membership has fallen dramatically and a look at their available waters shows their match calendar is tiny in comparison to times gone by.

Currently, night permits are available for a limited number of venues and must be purchased in advance. You can either apply in person at their HQ or submit a postal application which takes several days to turnaround. My circumstances (and I’m sure others) mean that this arrangement is very inflexible. I live about 500m from the River Avon meaning a 90 min round trip to head office is nonsensical. Furthermore their opening hours are 9:30am - 2:00pm Monday to Friday, which does little to help the working person. Add a new a baby/work commitments then it means that I am usually unable to plan a visit in advance to take advantage of the postal system. Quite often it’s a case of thinking I’m in a position to go later/now, usually after work meaning evening sessions are the way to go yet I am unable to obtain a permit to fish after dark.

The crux of the BAA’s argument is that they like to limit the number of anglers on their lakes, particularly Coppice (Carp pool) and he acknowledged that they sell very few night permits on rivers in comparison. I suggested that they could leave the system as it was for stillwaters since it appeared to work but offer a new yearly permit at a higher price that included night fishing on rivers. However, this fell on deaf ears with him claiming they would not know who was fishing where and when to which I replied I think you have very little control on who is fishing your rivers anyway. Furthermore, I tried to point out that there are miles of rivers going unfished and that Barbel anglers make up a large proportion of the people on the rivers currently and perhaps the association should be more accommodating to the needs of this section of its membership or risk losing them. Mr Williams as yet to reply to this since he no doubt thinks there hundreds of anglers lining the banks trotting maggots as it was in 1985 and there’s no problem. I find it so frustrating!

Anyway, enough of me ranting and raving. Do you think it’s a waste of time (I'm sure it is) or do any of you have further suggestions or contacts that could help drag this club into the modern era?

Here. Here.

Hi Lee,
Couldn,t agree more mate. The B.A.A. have some fantastic waters and I for one would happily pay more for a seasons night permit for certain allocated waters,
Regards,
Graham.

Lee like you I find it frustrating not being able to fish at night , With out getting a permit first . One of the problems is the weather .
You can never be sure what the weather is going to be like on the night .

My only suggestion would be to try and get a rule change .
Just had had a look at there website . Rules & Regulations , Constitution .
There AGM is held on the second Thursday in November .
You could put forward a rule change for night fishing and hope you get enough support .

Perhaps there are guys on here who would be able to help you out and be able to tell you how to go about trying to make such a change to club rules .

I'm a southern boy hailing from Wiltshire and come up a couple of times a year to take advantage of the Baa's waters and I would buy the ticket in a heartbeat if I thought I might be able to overnight . Normally we just buy day tickets but a night option would see me driving up your way much more often.

from what i hear, alot ignore the night rule, don't know how true that is.

Of course it is abused which is why the comment "we like to know who is where and when" made me laugh. They don't have a clue. I left a venue at dusk a couple of weeks ago that isn't even on the night fishing list and there were 4 chaps just starting out.

Lee you compared BAA with having a corner shop menatality which I suppose is fair comment, actually I think night fishing is counter productive to the general welfare of fishing, it is I think a little selfish to pursue fish day and night, and could make it just a tad harder for all. Then of course there is the other issues with litter/ fires and natural functions that is left on the bank.
However I feel the main problem BAA have is ballifing, or rather the lack of it.
You are right in that the thinking is still very much in the match vein, although this is in decline, and I would guess there is almost as many specimen and pleasure anglers as match these days.
I have had it admitted to me the BAA do not give a hoot about this group, and see thier revenue mainly from the match sub's and mainly from other clubs that rent their stretches.
However, I am perfectly happy that the BAA see fit to run it this way, if we Barbel anglers try and impose our will I honestly believe that it will further isolate us, for that is the nature of the beast.
Besides on the whole Barbel fishing at night is useless:p
Yes I know:rolleyes:

But would a hour or so into dark hurt? TBH I don't want to stay out all night yet if I'm on the bank at 10pm I'm breaking the rules.

A lot of the time it's nothing to do with the controlling club, it's the riparian owners.

Trust me, having been involved with such discussions for my club, I can tell you that a lot of the riparian owners won't want night fishing on their waters, and if they did, I suspect the BAA will be expected to stump up a high increase in rent to cover this.

Having managed to get night fishing on a number of our waters, both running and still, I can tell you it does take some serious negotiations....and as others have said, you then get some knob who decides to set fire to the place.....

Sometimes it's better to just leave things as they are.

Regarding the night fishing that already goes on, on BAA waters, we have the same problem sometimes on ours, only we do bailiff our waters.
Only last week we kicked 6 lads off who had decided to set up on Hampton Loade for the night....

Steve

You can fish BAA one hour before/after sunrise/sunset in any event. Given the lack of bailiffing I would say you would have too much trouble were you to arrive a little early or pack up a bit late! I am not condoning rule breaking of course but members join and agree to the rules but it is ultimately up to BAA to enforce them.

But would a hour or so into dark hurt? TBH I don't want to stay out all night yet if I'm on the bank at 10pm I'm breaking the rules.

Not really Lee, tbh I fish an hour into dark sometimes, but that's only because Anthony wants just one more cast:) Normally we are last to leave:eek: and subsequently leave a fair amount of kit behind, recently lannding net handle net and a torch:)
The only time I can recall being ballifed by a BA chap at night was at Severn Stoke I was so alarmed I broke my quiver tip...so you see such activities are just not worth it..
And ....
''Local teacher caught in midnight poaching spree'' would make pretty alarming headlines, just as well there are no piccies :rolleyes:

A further problem for barbel anglers is that over the Autumn/Winter when the days are short, if fishing into dark isn't permitted. it becomes 'weekend only' fishing. The chances of being able to fish a rising river etc are therefore severely restricted to all but a few who are either retired/self-employed and can choose the hours they fish. See if you can get the club to come to an agreement with the riparian landowners or tenant farmers (both are not always in favour/against such an idea) on a trial basis and limit this to specific stretches of river in the first instance. Monitor it carefully and review the situation at the end of the season (or before if necessary). I believe it is in the club's interest in the long term, as this is not a fad and it isn't going to go away. The alternative, dare I say it, is that like-minded individuals will band together and more stetches of river will eventually become syndicated.

Lee like you I find it frustrating not being able to fish at night , With out getting a permit first . One of the problems is the weather .
You can never be sure what the weather is going to be like on the night .

My only suggestion would be to try and get a rule change .
Just had had a look at there website . Rules & Regulations , Constitution .
There AGM is held on the second Thursday in November .
You could put forward a rule change for night fishing and hope you get enough support .

Perhaps there are guys on here who would be able to help you out and be able to tell you how to go about trying to make such a change to club rules .

Take note, this is how to effect change at an angling club such as BAA ;)

Lee, if you need some assistance with changing rules via the AGM route drop me a PM, I have some very recent experience of doing exactly this.... with success too!!

Last edited:
Dan, please pm me too mate. One club I`m in is in desperate need of change and I`d be interested in seeing how you went about it. We are talking about a committee that makes Life on Mars seem up to date..............:D

Lee, if you need some assistance with changing rules via the AGM route drop me a PM, I have some very recent experience of doing exactly this.... with success too!!

Dan, send me any advice/tips you have. Thanks.

Dan, please send me any advice/tips you have. Thanks.

I have caught all my barbel in daylight and been happy to do so.give them a rest I say.stop the night fishing and hammer the poachers it won't be as easy for them.
Albert

I have caught all my barbel in daylight and been happy to do so.give them a rest I say.stop the night fishing and hammer the poachers it won't be as easy for them.
Albert

There are two or three problem with that way of thinking that I can think of Albert, off the top of my head :p

One and two....why should I, or any one else, be restricted to day fishing only....just because you prefer to fish during the day? I fish a river whereby the vast majority of the bigger fish are caught at night...not just because everyone fishes at night (in fact the majority of anglers on this water fish during the day)...but because the bigger fish at least prefer coming out to play at night on that river...fact. I know it varies from water to water, with some fishing better during the day, but there are an awful lot that fish better at night. So...your plan would be a tad unfair on the anglers on those types of rivers, when you think about it. And what about the anglers who have a work/family situation which mainly restricts them to short trips at night ? I am sure you don't really want to put an end to their relaxation fella :D

Three...how can you imagine that removing all the legal anglers from the bank at night will make it harder for the illegals? It's only the presence of the legals that stops most rivers being overrun by illegals at night. Very few clubs can mount an effective bailiff crew to patrol constantly at night...especially these days when the poachers are often in gangs and are not averse to indulging in a spot of violence towards anyone who challenges them. You don't see anywhere near so many of them on waters that are regularly night fished by club members though Albert. Fact mate :)

Nasty lot, some of 'em Albert :D

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
There are two or three problem with that way of thinking that I can think of Albert, off the top of my head :p

One and two....why should I, or any one else, be restricted to day fishing only....just because you prefer to fish during the day? I fish a river whereby the vast majority of the bigger fish are caught at night...not just because everyone fishes at night (in fact the majority of anglers on this water fish during the day)...but because the bigger fish at least prefer coming out to play at night on that river...fact. I know it varies from water to water, with some fishing better during the day, but there are an awful lot that fish better at night. So...your plan would be a tad unfair on the anglers on those types of rivers, when you think about it. And what about the anglers who have a work/family situation which mainly restricts them to short trips at night ? I am sure you don't really want to put an end to their relaxation fella :D

Three...how can you imagine that removing all the legal anglers from the bank at night will make it harder for the illegals? It's only the presence of the legals that stops most rivers being overrun by illegals at night. Very few clubs can mount an effective bailiff crew to patrol constantly at night...especially these days when the poachers are often in gangs and are not averse to indulging in a spot of violence towards anyone who challenges them. You don't see anywhere near so many of them on waters that are regularly night fished by club members though Albert. Fact mate :)

Nasty lot, some of 'em Albert :D

Cheers, Dave.
that's why the bit you fish dave allowed nights, before that, it was poacher, chav, fire making rubbish leaving yobs, it works about 90 per cent.

Back