• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bird ID

I agree that they can vary a lot, I often wonder if some of the paler ones are maybe juveniles?

About 30 years ago there were only a few places I would see them in Cheshire, in the south-west Peak and over towards the sandstone ridge. Now they are everywhere, and arguably one of the most common birds. I reckon I'm pretty much guaranteed to see one of almost every farm I step foot on.

A good few years back I got mobbed by a pair whilst surveying some land towards the Wrekin in Shrops. I think they had recently fledged young and they weren't use to having people around. They were stooping from around 100m but then pulling away once they got to within a few metres...it was pretty hair raising! Hard to see as they were coming out of the sun. Never had it happen since.
Hi Joe,
my son lives in Germany, in a heavily wooded hilly area, he runs daily on the tracks through the woods, and regularly gets “mugged” by some large Raptors, the Germans call the Raptors “Adler” which translates to Eagles, but I am not sure if they are actually Eagles or Buzzards .
When running, especially in the colder months Matthew wears a wooly hat, he has had the hat stolen by the birds several times, in fact he had a minor injury to his scalp once caused by the talons of the birds. He now needs eyes in the back of his head to keep away from the birds. He also rides an off road cycle on the same tracks but the birds dont seem to bother him when riding , its just the running that seems to attract unwanted attention.
I have walked in the woods many times and heard the mewing of Buzzards, but have also seen several raptors at distance which were much larger and in fact could easily be Eagles judging by the wing shape ., they are known to be in the area.

David

Hi Joe,
my son lives in Germany, in a heavily wooded hilly area, he runs daily on the tracks through the woods, and regularly gets “mugged” by some large Raptors, the Germans call the Raptors “Adler” which translates to Eagles, but I am not sure if they are actually Eagles or Buzzards .
When running, especially in the colder months Matthew wears a wooly hat, he has had the hat stolen by the birds several times, in fact he had a minor injury to his scalp once caused by the talons of the birds. He now needs eyes in the back of his head to keep away from the birds. He also rides an off road cycle on the same tracks but the birds dont seem to bother him when riding , its just the running that seems to attract unwanted attention.
I have walked in the woods many times and heard the mewing of Buzzards, but have also seen several raptors at distance which were much larger and in fact could easily be Eagles judging by the wing shape ., they are known to be in the area.

David
Teflon hats on!

This was in my warehouse a few weeks ago...

Attachments

• 20231205_080805.jpg
    20231205_080805.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 98
Walking in Epping High St on Saturday afternoon a pied wagtail on the pavement happy at 2ft away with lots of passing pedestrians.

There are few pairs of wild breeding eagle owls in the uk now and there actually talking about culling them due to them being non native

There are few pairs of wild breeding eagle owls in the uk now and there actually talking about culling them due to them being non native
I recall a lot of debate about culling about 15 years ago. Not sure if every happened though? I think there were several breeding pairs in Bowland and North Yorks.

I was in a bird sanctuary last year and from what he was saying in a talk I think there are quite a few more pairs now and he was recalling a story where one pair was supposedly attacking dogs on a river bank walk turns out they had a nest in a tree and was trying to scare people away from the nest not eat the dogs😂

Since moving to what is a in essence a place where birds live and we are merely there to provide them with some food and no doubt some curiosity as to our lives. We are blessed with visits from Pheasants of all colours and the rather drab but bolder females who exercise order in the group. All the usual song birds and the occasional woodpecker both Green and Lesser Spotted. We have Kites and Buzzards, Owls that screech Jackdaws, Crow and Magpies that cause havoc.
But for me the Rook is the real star, they have such a strong bond within their group and really enjoy a chat and a moan with us whilst perched on the power lines.
We do put out bird food and also bread! we were entertained in the summer in watching Jackdaws soaking hard stale bread in the bird bath to soften, and then the youngsters copying but using a flower pot as a vessel😏

Back