• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bird ID

Richard Bruton

Senior Member & Supporter
Guys, can any of you really me what this bird is please? Guy fishing near me said buzzard but I'm pretty sure it isn't. It's back was mottled pale brown and white and it had a white belly.

I've attached three images as, although at distance, they show the bird from the back, swivelling its head towards the camera and side profile

Screenshot_20231201_175115_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20231201_175148_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20231201_175224_Video Player.jpg

I understand that for a buzzard you're looking for a pale collar to the front known as a 'lord mayor's chain' buzzard bigger than a sparrowhawk

With the buzzard being very common in some parts of the country, on my travels with work, I have on occasion found some to be even paler than that, almost white.

Quite so Damian,.. took a pic of this one by the D.Stour.
I’ve got some pics of buzzards that are even lighter but they’re buried in amongst thousands of others.
Brilliant picture Dave 👍

I agree that they can vary a lot, I often wonder if some of the paler ones are maybe juveniles?

About 30 years ago there were only a few places I would see them in Cheshire, in the south-west Peak and over towards the sandstone ridge. Now they are everywhere, and arguably one of the most common birds. I reckon I'm pretty much guaranteed to see one of almost every farm I step foot on.

A good few years back I got mobbed by a pair whilst surveying some land towards the Wrekin in Shrops. I think they had recently fledged young and they weren't use to having people around. They were stooping from around 100m but then pulling away once they got to within a few metres...it was pretty hair raising! Hard to see as they were coming out of the sun. Never had it happen since.

I agree that they can vary a lot, I often wonder if some of the paler ones are maybe juveniles?

About 30 years ago there were only a few places I would see them in Cheshire, in the south-west Peak and over towards the sandstone ridge. Now they are everywhere, and arguably one of the most common birds. I reckon I'm pretty much guaranteed to see one of almost every farm I step foot on.

A good few years back I got mobbed by a pair whilst surveying some land towards the Wrekin in Shrops. I think they had recently fledged young and they weren't use to having people around. They were stooping from around 100m but then pulling away once they got to within a few metres...it was pretty hair raising! Hard to see as they were coming out of the sun. Never had it happen since.
Gliding was my main pastime for over twenty years. On many occasions you would be joined by buzzards when thermalling. I think they were just curious of this big white bird soaring in their territory. They would get really close sometimes, fantastic to watch.

Back