• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Big fish kill Warks Avon. THOUSANDS DEAD FISH.

Good Morning,

Bit of an update from me. I didn't get anywhere with the EA, AT etc. No one.was prepared to say anything other than it was an oxygen crash and as that's the official line as it were there'll be no investigation. Despite it being in the national and local press. It got a lot of coverage on social media so at least some awareness was raised and people are more vigilant at the moment.

I walked my stretch 2 days ago and baited a few swims as I went. The majority of dead fish were gone and there were no new carcasses. The river was about a foot up and I was pleasantly surprised to see the margins teeming with this and last year's fry. One of the baited spots was being visited by barbel, chub and a carp which was a real highlight and gave me confidence all is not lost.

We made the decision to reopen the water yesterday. A member sent me a report and in a couple of hours roving he had 2 barbel with one being about 1.5lbs, chub, perch, Zander and an eel so all is not lost and looks a lot more promising than it did a week ago.

Thanks

Lewis

I'm on the committee of a small angling club in Norfolk. Both the club and me personally are members of The Angling Trust who, as many of you may know, hold Zoom meetings covering a variety of subjects.
I remember attending one of these meetings where they discussed how to maintain a healthy fishery.
Long story short, I would hate to own a fishery where my income relied on keeping the fish stocks healthy! It seems that not only do you have the vagaries of the British weather to contend with but also pollution and Mother Nature's influence.
Our club lake has a bed of silt. Great for micro organisms which the tench, in particular, love but too much silt is bad, but removing it is bad as it gives off toxins. Likewise, thunderstorms, as has been noted on this forum earlier, "turns" the oxygen levels effectively "sucking" DO out of the water.
Add to that, field run off containing harmful nutrients you can see why owning a fishery is a nightmare.
The fish kill subject, to these posts is, I believe, a combination of various factors that came together at one time. Combined, those factors were just too much for the poor fish to survive. Nature played a part but human incompetence (and greed) didn't help.
Rant over!!

Paul - I completely agree that it was a combination of events that turned into one deadly scenario. Although these occurrences have been rare I believe they're becoming less so as time marches on and nothing is done, despite the work of Messrs Sharkey and Whitehouse, amongst others, attempting to highlight what a dreadful and terminal situation our waterways face. I guess that with all the other issues facing the world every day is now "a good day for bad news", because as a society we're absolutely saturated with crap events. Jeez, where will it end!

On a more positive note, I intend to blank this weekend!

Back