• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Big fish kill Warks Avon. THOUSANDS DEAD FISH.

I believe that is the right course of action. I hope the BAA and LAA follow suit but very much doubt it . I seem to be getting very conflicting reports from the people I’m in contact with .

As an angler why would any one want to sit fishing amongst rotting fish or even wish to go and see such devastation…. Maybe I’m just weak minded, but personally it would affect me to see a place I love and fish that are years old … dead !!

Nitrate levels...hardly surprising all the boasts about how farming is putting environment first is claptrap. Devastating I cannot begin to express my anger....but hey who fucking cares its only fish.
This is it Neil . I looked on the EA Facebook page .. it reads like an absolute shit show .
They have changed the EA logo to a rainbow logo though so at least they are getting their priorities right !!!!

Every other post on the EA page refers to the investments they have in the very water companies that are destroying our waterways .. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I've had it confirmed the EA have said it's a natural occurrence due to road run off 😡🤬
Despite independent water tests showing lethal levels of ammonia with nitrates and nitrites off the scale at Warwick castle and The Saxon Mill. The oxygen tests have shown no issue with oxygen levels.

Fish Legal are now involved as The EA have Palmed it off.

Our syndicate has closed until further notice.

Thanks

Lewis

Nitrate levels...hardly surprising all the boasts about how farming is putting environment first is claptrap. Devastating I cannot begin to express my anger....but hey who fucking cares its only fish.

I've had it confirmed the EA have said it's a natural occurrence due to road run off 😡🤬
Despite independent water tests showing lethal levels of ammonia with nitrates and nitrites off the scale at Warwick castle and The Saxon Mill. The oxygen tests have shown no issue with oxygen levels.

Fish Legal are now involved as The EA have Palmed it off.

Our syndicate has closed until further notice.

Thanks

Lewis
Lewis so sorry for you...Avon Angler too and all the Anglers that fish there.

Really sad news all round. As a fishery owner myself, I feel for you.

I will be intrigued to know what the Fish Legal involvement turns up….

My Sister's house backs onto the Birmingham-Stratford Canal, there's been a big fish kill there too! They raised the canal level, which has now dropped back to normal level. I assume it's EA have put 2 large aerator pumps just it from where she lives, but that will only benefit a very localised area!
It's shocking what's going on!

I've spoken to the EA myself at length.

The length of river affected is 30km from rugby to Stratford.

The areas with higher populations/road traffic and the river being small have been heavier hit due to higher ground pollution being washed in. He has said the last alarm to go off for them was last night in stratford and all the road/agricultural run off has now gone through. They have had the same on the alne, sow, Blythe, dene, arrow, tame, Trent.

I've spoken to the EA myself at length.

The length of river affected is 30km from rugby to Stratford.

The areas with higher populations/road traffic and the river being small have been heavier hit due to higher ground pollution being washed in. He has said the last alarm to go off for them was last night in stratford and all the road/agricultural run off has now gone through. They have had the same on the alne, sow, Blythe, dene, arrow, tame, Trent.
Terrible news but positive that they have your ear.

What are they thinking then is the cause ? Farmers runoff or sewage dump ?

How does a thuderstorm cause a drop in oxygen levels? I would have thought it spiked them. And why now? We've had thunderstorms before. Banbury has also suffered a big fish kill on the canal through the town.

Isn,t this all the more reason to join the AT, and help support Fish Legal, The only association who seem to give a fook. For the sake of a pint a month, come on guys, give them that little bit more help they need. I,m no longer a member of a club, ( but still maintain single membership ), but i like to think i,m making a small effort to help them. You can too.

How does a thuderstorm cause a drop in oxygen levels? I would have thought it spiked them. And why now? We've had thunderstorms before. Banbury has also suffered a big fish kill on the canal through the town.
Google it and try and find an article by Bruno Broughton (fishery consultant and ex NASA general secretary). If I could post links I would….

Short answer is that it is an occupational hazard of fishery management. Over the years significant numbers of fisheries have had major fish kills as a result of these events.

And yes, we should all support Fish Legal/AT. I’m both an individual member and a commercial member (for my fishery).

Generally, when a thunderstorm goes through it lowers the atmospheric pressure and literally sucks Oxygen out of the water. High pressure pushes Oxygen into water. That's when you see fish sucking in air on the top. A few years ago, the Glebe fishery ran by Roy Marlow had this problem on the lowest one of his lakes. Big thunderstorm went through, lowered the pressure and because this particular lake was at the bottom of the site, and lower down, it suffered the worst. The EA came out with pumps and hoses and sprayed water onto the lake to help increase the Oxygen levels. They also dripped Peroxide into the spray to help produce even more Oxygen. So I believe.

Back