• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Big fish kill Warks Avon. THOUSANDS DEAD FISH.

Just above Barford is longbridge water treatment plant run by Severn Trent . The treated water runs into the Avon at Hopyards which is run by Warwick angling club . It’s a deep slow stretch that runs down to the weir at Barford .

Just had confirmation that the fish kill is through Warwick . The fish found at Barford have floated down .
Having fished the town waters in Warwick and down through to Barford I know there are / were dense shoals of silver fish .

Not sure if the route cause but I’d guess at oxygen levels as there was a spike in the river level Sunday - Monday from the sudden influx of storm rain .

Terrible news, I saw some lovely fish over the Barford bridge last week. Some clonking chub.

Is this one big fish (barbel) dead or many ? Either way is bad.

Although how has that barbel ended up in Warwick though as that is upstream of Barford ?!? Warwick ~ Barford ~ Wasperton ~ HL

Terrible news, I saw some lovely fish over the Barford bridge last week. Some clonking chub.

Is this one big fish (barbel) dead or many ? Either way is bad.

Although how has that barbel ended up in Warwick though as that is upstream of Barford ?!? Warwick ~ Barford ~ Wasperton ~ HL
Not heard of any Barbel being found dead ? Skimmers , small silvers and some big chub . The fish were in Warwick town which is well above Barford .
There are barbel in Warwick and further up than that though . They tend to be thin on the ground though .

Not heard of any Barbel being found dead ? Skimmers , small silvers and some big chub . The fish were in Warwick town which is well above Barford .
There are barbel in Warwick and further up than that though . They tend to be thin on the ground though .
Apologies, I misread the sentence.

I joined Barford last season and had none depute being on some lovely swims, did have some lovely chub though on hemp / meat.

Terrible news about the fish kill!😥
I did a couple of seasons on Barford a few years back, found it really tough on the Barbel front, similar to Wasperton. It's an easy excuse but I believe predation had a big affect!

Your quite right Mark . I’ve not fished Barford for years but am told it isn’t as prolific . The other stretches below have definitely been hit my predators .. I’ve seen otters many times . The stock is thinner for sure . If you find them then you are in with a chance of a good fish 😊🌞🎣

1686740806443.jpeg

Morning Gents,

As some of may know I run a syndicate on the upper Avon.

I went this morning before work and it was a scene of complete devastation. Thousands of fish lining the banks, barbel into double figures, big perch, roach, bleak, dace, chub. I've taken videos and pics and forwarded them onto someone.

EA have said there is nothing wrong with the river and shown no interest. This has affected in the region of 15 miles of river.

A fishery owner near Warwick took his own water samples yesterday and found ammonia and nitrate levels 3 times higher than they should have been, he has had an almost complete wipe out. I understand fish legal may be getting involved as the official powers that be couldn't give 2 hoots.

Only last week I watched 3 different Shoals of barbel on my stretch going about their business without a care in the world, more barbel than I'd seen in 8 years of having the fishery and now this 😡😓

Thanks

Lewis

Last edited:
Morning Gents,

I went this morning before work and it was a scene of complete devastation. Thousands of fish lining the banks, barbel into double figures, big perch, roach, bleak, dace, chub. I've taken videos and pics and forwarded them onto someone.

EA have said there is nothing wrong with the river and shown no interest. This has affected in the region of 15 miles of river.

A fishery owner near Warwick took his own water samples yesterday and found ammonia and nitrate levels 3 times higher than they should have been, he has had an almost complete wipe out. I understand fish legal may be getting involved as the official powers that be couldn't give 2 hoots.

Only last week I watched 3 different Shoals of barbel on my stretch going about their business without a care in the world, more barbel than I'd seen in 8 years of having the fishery and now this 😡😓

Thanks

Lewis
Morning Gents,

Thanks
I cannot find the words to express how devastating reading that is !!

Back