• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Big fish kill Warks Avon. THOUSANDS DEAD FISH.

I think the thunderstorm effect is more related to a sudden loss of oxygen from the algae combined with a large run off of dirty water with high biological or chemical demand. Together they crash the dissolved oxygen content. I guess it’s complicated and lots of factors play a part.

ADDAC (Charlecotte) suspended until next Thursday.

Some tough decisions being made but the right

Some tough decisions being made but the right

Some tough decisions being made but the right ones.
Yet BAA have matches on wasperton this weekend. Leamington also allowing Fishing. You would have to be some proper selfish bastard to put fish in a keepnet after this …. That’s if you even want to sit amongst the stench of rotting fish .

I can’t imagine any angler worth his salt wanting to go and look at a river full of dead fish let alone start fishing the stretch …

Trouble is it’s all a bit previous now in terms of tests. Yes you’ll have ammonia because there’s decomposing fish everywhere producing it, similarly Nitrite and Nitrate as it will be there from the excess ammonia. Nitrate isn’t harmful to fish unless it’s in very high concentrations.

You’d need to know before and after as a data set to know if it was ammonia that killed the fish as a result of pollution spiking it.

The most likely scenario as outlined is that the weather conditions have crashed the oxygen content, what’s been washed it probably sped things up/exasperated the problem but proving that is hard.

Assuming the official line is correct then why is the incident isolated to a 15m stretch and have other water bodies in that area also succumbed. If the answer is no to the latter part then there must be a compounding factor.

Trouble is it’s all a bit previous now in terms of tests. Yes you’ll have ammonia because there’s decomposing fish everywhere producing it, similarly Nitrite and Nitrate as it will be there from the excess ammonia. Nitrate isn’t harmful to fish unless it’s in very high concentrations.

You’d need to know before and after as a data set to know if it was ammonia that killed the fish as a result of pollution spiking it.

The most likely scenario as outlined is that the weather conditions have crashed the oxygen content, what’s been washed it probably sped things up/exasperated the problem but proving that is hard.

Assuming the official line is correct then why is the incident isolated to a 15m stretch and have other water bodies in that area also succumbed. If the answer is no to the latter part then there must be a compounding factor.
Stephen, I think your last paragraph nails this why is it just isolated to this stretch?

Have any other rivers nationally been affected by the thunderstorms and flash floods? Not that I am aware of !

I have three rivers locally that have been totally unaffected and the motorway is 50 yards away from one of them!!

As has been said the EA response to this sounds like a load of bollox.

Really feel for the local anglers on this. Hope someone takes ownership and finds the real reason for the episode.

I've had it confirmed the EA have said it's a natural occurrence due to road run off 😡🤬
Despite independent water tests showing lethal levels of ammonia with nitrates and nitrites off the scale at Warwick castle and The Saxon Mill. The oxygen tests have shown no issue with oxygen levels.

Fish Legal are now involved as The EA have Palmed it off.

Our syndicate has closed until further notice.

Thanks

Lewis
Surely if it was road run off all rivers would be suffering same fate. Seems like they can’t be arsed to investigate or they know who’s responsible and don’t want to get their mates in trouble

Was passing by and just been to Wasperton LAA (not to fish) and it’s not a pretty sight, not to mention the stench.

Two Barbel and several chub without even looking hard and that’s in the first meadow. Likely washed down from upstream and caught on the large overhanging willow.

I’ve waited three months so another few weeks won’t hurt. I also wouldn’t want to be handling anything that’s coming out of the river.

Was passing by and just been to Wasperton LAA (not to fish) and it’s not a pretty sight, not to mention the stench.

Two Barbel and several chub without even looking hard and that’s in the first meadow. Likely washed down from upstream and caught on the large overhanging willow.

I’ve waited three months so another few weeks won’t hurt. I also wouldn’t want to be handling anything that’s coming out of the river.
Were there any anglers present Gav or on the BAA below ??

Generally, when a thunderstorm goes through it lowers the atmospheric pressure and literally sucks Oxygen out of the water. High pressure pushes Oxygen into water. That's when you see fish sucking in air on the top. A few years ago, the Glebe fishery ran by Roy Marlow had this problem on the lowest one of his lakes. Big thunderstorm went through, lowered the pressure and because this particular lake was at the bottom of the site, and lower down, it suffered the worst. The EA came out with pumps and hoses and sprayed water onto the lake to help increase the Oxygen levels. They also dripped Peroxide into the spray to help produce even more Oxygen. So I believe.
Thanks for that Simon, I have been reading a bit about it.

These are my thoughts about Storm fish deaths, to me it makes sense maybe others know better. Most sewage systems are joint systems, two open channels with a small brick wall between. In failing systems this wall is often falling apart or damaged. Rain water runoff goes down one side to your local river/ditch. The other side is for the stuff from your toilet which should go to the sewage treatment works. If you have a sewage blockage on the sewage side the filth builds up in that channel gradually filling and backing up. If this has gone unnoticed, when a massive surge from a storm incident overloads the rainwater system it breaches the wall. All the filth building up cannot go down the sewage system because its blocked so all the storm water and filth gets forced all down the rainwater system straight into the local river killing everything in one big surge. Last year we had a 12 mile blockage from Amersham to Maple lodge that burst in a field. I Wonder how long that went unnoticed. Last week there was another 2 mile blockage locally. This week like last year we had another storm fish kill up near Watford on the Colne. This area has a number of wire mesh outflows that are often blocked with sewage pads/condoms etc. These get reported to the EA by Sandy who works up there but nothing much gets done.

Stephen, I think your last paragraph nails this why is it just isolated to this stretch?

Have any other rivers nationally been affected by the thunderstorms and flash floods? Not that I am aware of !

I have three rivers locally that have been totally unaffected and the motorway is 50 yards away from one of them!!

As has been said the EA response to this sounds like a load of bollox.

Really feel for the local anglers on this. Hope someone takes ownership and finds the real reason for the episode.
The very fact the EA apparently responded in this way is deplorable, I really don't have any words I'd want to tap away on here with, that's good for that useless organisation! 😠

I have written to the EA to exercise the freedom of information act on this fish kill / pollution incident .

I won’t hold breath … other than that it seems to me that it’s business as usual and you would hardly know it has happened.

Two large angling clubs have acted in my opinion very poorly !!

Hats off the Barford Angling club and ADDDAC .. they have set a very good example closing their stretches.

The other 2 big clubs are more concerned over members and money !!

I have written to the EA to exercise the freedom of information act on this fish kill / pollution incident .

I won’t hold breath … other than that it seems to me that it’s business as usual and you would hardly know it has happened.

Two large angling clubs have acted in my opinion very poorly !!

Hats off the Barford Angling club and ADDDAC .. they have set a very good example closing their stretches.

The other 2 big clubs are more concerned over members and money !!
Agreed, and add Lewis’s syndicate in there too as he closed his waters.

I’m itching to go fishing but can wait another week, this rain will have helped too putting some cooler water in the rivers.

Back