• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Big Cat sightings

At the risk of repeating...I accept that there might be the odd escaped cat, but even that I am sceptical, even moreso that they are breeding in the wild in UK ...very fanciful thinking and up there with the Loch Ness myth and vapour trails.

We anglers are probably the best eyes and ears, we lay low and unseen,we see Otter Mink, a whole variety of species others do not, and yet apart from a couple of grainy cat pics nothing nowt zilch 😀

I would love to be proved wrong...be my guest
As apex predators, surely these beasts would be aware of us first?

Yes, humans are the apex predator, but only if armed, trained and specifically on the hunt for them. As anglers, we're not.

As apex predators, surely these beasts would be aware of us first?

Yes, humans are the apex predator, but only if armed, trained and specifically on the hunt for them. As anglers, we're not.
My point is, not that we hunt 'them' and why would we if they don't exist...rather if they did exist we as anglers are well positioned, and armed with modern cameras to prove their existence.
I may have missed something but have not seen any evidence either dead or alive of these cats on any media streams.
If there are I will of course agree of at leat their existence but not that they breed in the wild.
All we have is apparently is conjecture and poor quality images similar to the Bigfoot hype.

My point is, not that we hunt 'them' and why would we if they don't exist...rather if they did exist we as anglers are well positioned, and armed with modern cameras to prove their existence.
I may have missed something but have not seen any evidence either dead or alive of these cats on any media streams.
If there are I will of course agree of at leat their existence but not that they breed in the wild.
All we have is apparently is conjecture and poor quality images similar to the Bigfoot hype.
There is ample evidence of the existence on YouTube 'media streams' of puma/leopard sized felines roaming our countryside. Not in large numbers 😉. That's assuming that you accept other forms of media other that the BBC 'fact checkers'.

There is ample evidence of the existence on YouTube 'media streams' of puma/leopard sized felines roaming our countryside. Not in large numbers 😉. That's assuming that you accept other forms of media other that the BBC 'fact checkers'.
But that is my point Ady, there is no evidence that I have seen, and I think now you might be testing my innocent nature😄

Have you ever seen a pine marten in England while fishing? I have, in North Yorkshire, but didn't get the chance to film it. Have you seen footage from any other anglers? If not does it mean they don't exist? Obviously not because they are filmed by those who setup hides etc. I had a big cat experience and will swear until the day I die what I saw...even for a fleeting moment.

I've watched quite a bit of YT footage that claims to be big cat sightings but I'm still to be convinced, can you provide a convincing clip?

I can't categorically deny that they roam our countryside but the evidence, given modern tech' is quite underwhelming.

I've seen big cats, one on my syndicate but it was just a big cat, as in, a very large black domesticated cat, which at the time had me thinking other things.

As for seeing pine martens, badgers, etc, even if you haven't seen one, we know, without doubt that they exist, so that comparable argument is moot!

Have you ever seen a pine marten in England while fishing? I have, in North Yorkshire, but didn't get the chance to film it. Have you seen footage from any other anglers? If not does it mean they don't exist? Obviously not because they are filmed by those who setup hides etc. I had a big cat experience and will swear until the day I die what I saw...even for a fleeting moment.
Never seen a Pine. Pine Marten but would love to cross that one off. I have looked at some YouTube clips and honestly there is nothing to convince me I am looking at a big apex cat...there was a better offering of a black feline in north Wales, on y.t but again the quality was appalling which is always the case, given all the pro quality phones around there are no images that support the existence.
But you have seen one, and that's fine by me, I have had an encounter with a what I believe was a spirit, I even talked to it but nothing was there...but it brushed past me🫥🥺, but alas, I don't believe in ghosts the brain plays some pretty convincing tricks.

Never seen a Pine. Pine Marten but would love to cross that one off. I have looked at some YouTube clips and honestly there is nothing to convince me I am looking at a big apex cat...there was a better offering of a black feline in north Wales, on y.t but again the quality was appalling which is always the case, given all the pro quality phones around there are no images that support the existence.
But you have seen one, and that's fine by me, I have had an encounter with a what I believe was a spirit, I even talked to it but nothing was there...but it brushed past me🫥🥺, but alas, I don't believe in ghosts the brain plays some pretty convincing tricks.
Surely it doesn't matter what others believe, only what we do. I really believe l have my own "clarence". You have to be of a certain age to know the context.

You’re kind of disproving your own point there. Regardless of how elusive they are, we know Pine Marten’s exist because there is a ton of footage out there, including lots of clear amateur stuff. Strange how the big cat sightings are all filmed by people with a terrible camera phone from a decade or more ago! Just one clear video with something for size reference would do it….but no.

As it happens, I do believe there is probably the odd big cat out there now and again, solitary escapees, but a breeding population hidden in the UK? No chance.

I've watched quite a bit of YT footage that claims to be big cat sightings but I'm still to be convinced, can you provide a convincing clip?

I can't categorically deny that they roam our countryside but the evidence, given modern tech' is quite underwhelming.

I've seen big cats, one on my syndicate but it was just a big cat, as in, a very large black domesticated cat, which at the time had me thinking other things.

As for seeing pine martens, badgers, etc, even if you haven't seen one, we know, without doubt that they exist, so that comparable argument is moot!
I remember a short clip, of what appears to be, a black melanistic leopard. Taken by a guy at range at Kinver in the west Midlands. Unfortunately no scale. The experts say that the walking movements and tail positions remove the likelihood of these being black domestic cats and definitely not dogs. I would of thought by now that some very good film footage would be available. Perhaps there is?

You’re kind of disproving your own point there. Regardless of how elusive they are, we know Pine Marten’s exist because there is a ton of footage out there, including lots of clear amateur stuff. Strange how the big cat sightings are all filmed by people with a terrible camera phone from a decade or more ago! Just one clear video with something for size reference would do it….but no.

As it happens, I do believe there is probably the odd big cat out there now and again, solitary escapees, but a breeding population hidden in the UK? No chance.
My comment was in response to Neil's remarks about anglers being equipped and in all the right places, but yet have not filmed a big cat.

Back