• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Big Cat sightings

Because you personally haven't seen any doesn't mean they don't exist though.

Off course not. But if you read my previous posts I do say I'm open minded about them. However, when I've/we've worked outside for as long as I/we have, and in a lot of remote places, you would by the law of averages assume that at least one of us would have seen at least something resembling a large feline. Especially when there are posters on here who are saying they have seen more than one, and who I assume don't work outside and in the places we get to.

Maybe I've just been unlucky in not seeing anything.

Not sure why you're so sceptical about them breeding Neil. They are mammals, they don't need specific conditions like fish to breed. All they need is a partner!
But they do need a partner, and they do have quite a complex courtship routine, you know wine, dine, no kissing first date, and when there are not many suitable mates due to scarcity I would wager there is no breeding of big cats thus far in this country in the wild.
If you can, or anyone show me some cute kittens wild then I will believe, until then...;)

But they do need a partner, and they do have quite a complex courtship routine, you know wine, dine, no kissing first date, and when there are not many suitable mates due to scarcity I would wager there is no breeding of big cats thus far in this country in the wild.
If you can, or anyone show me some cute kittens wild then I will believe, until then...;)
Where are the dead bodies of the big cats that eventually die?
G.T.

Hi Neil,
There have been ‘sightings’ of big cats all over the country for many years. If animals like pumas live about 12 years why haven’t any dead ones been found?
G.T.

Neil, nothing hinges on what you, me or anyone else believes, and as far as BFW goes there is no burden of proof on anyone. It is a topic that is bound to have conflicting opinions, where some will say "show me the proof" and others will say no "smoke without fire!"

At the risk of repeating...I accept that there might be the odd escaped cat, but even that I am sceptical, even moreso that they are breeding in the wild in UK ...very fanciful thinking and up there with the Loch Ness myth and vapour trails.

We anglers are probably the best eyes and ears, we lay low and unseen,we see Otter Mink, a whole variety of species others do not, and yet apart from a couple of grainy cat pics nothing nowt zilch 😀

I would love to be proved wrong...be my guest.

Do you believe in Bittern? How many have actually seen one?
Well, I believe Bittern are in very localised areas and if you went there you would see or hear them. Wild ‘big cats’ have been reported all owner the country. A bit like ‘ I saw ‘Elvis’ in my chip shop last night…..🤦‍♂️
G.T.

Well, I believe Bittern are in very localised areas and if you went there you would see or hear them. Wild ‘big cats’ have been reported all owner the country. A bit like ‘ I saw ‘Elvis’ in my chip shop last night…..🤦‍♂️
G.T.
I think Bittern can turn up anywhere too.

I agree that they are localised but the point I am making is that they are out there but you may never have seen one.

I was lucky enough to see a Bittern on the Hants Avon at Ellingham circa 2002. Never seen one since.

I think Bittern can turn up anywhere too.

I agree that they are localised but the point I am making is that they are out there but you may never have seen one.

I was lucky enough to see a Bittern on the Hants Avon at Ellingham circa 2002. Never seen one since.
I've heard 'one' at a particular location, but I've never seen one. Also, I've never seen a live badger or a pine martin.

On the banks of the Trent now. What's everyone's explanation for this corpse? A young lamb Also a young lamb wandering about on its own looking a bit forlorn.

Attachments

• IMG20240724194211.jpg
    IMG20240724194211.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG20240724194219.jpg
    IMG20240724194219.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 70
Back