• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

best sunglass for barbel fishing

Agreed Dave,
to be honest they've always been a bit big for me........now if they made them smaller......
Trouble is I remember paying around 25 quid for them.......wonder what they would cost now?

Steve

Agreed Dave,
to be honest they've always been a bit big for me........now if they made them smaller......
Trouble is I remember paying around 25 quid for them.......wonder what they would cost now?

Steve

Hi Steve,

The last pair I bought (3/4 years back) were £40...not only were they the wrong colour, but they didn't seem to me to be anywhere near as good as my old ones for fish spotting...that's progress I guess :(

Cheers, Dave.

I had a pair of the amber cormorants along with the grey/brown ones, excellent glasses! the amber ones were indeed the dogs doodahs! lent mine to a friend who proceeded to step on them!!

Precision

Ok, I`m bound to be biased but when one of the best (and funniest) guides on Lake Nasser absolutely loves èm who am I to argue?!!!!! Did a bit of experimenting with full spec Polaroids alongside our shades and was amazed that even in harsh light conditions they worked beautifully.

Mustache, a true gent and good friend.

4a17fee6.jpg

While on holiday recently, my brother-in-law produced a pair of sunglasses his son had lent to him, on his return from Afghanistan...apparently the ones the troops are issued with out there to cut down the desert glare when fighting. I don't know if these are polarised...but I do know they were the finest...the clearest, most glare reducing glasses it has ever been my pleasure to wear....FAR better than anything I have ever been able to buy, and I wear subscription types! At least they seem to get something right for our boys out there :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

Dave,
the glasses you have seen are likely to be ESS ICE. They don't usually issue polarised lenses but you can get them, at a price. You can also get a prescription lens carrier to fit the frames behind the plastic lens of the sunglasses. Quite happy with mine though I've yet to bite the bullet and cough up for the polarised lenses.

http://www.esseyepro.com/ICE_18_category.html
http://www.tactical-kit.co.uk/ess-ice-24-eyeshields-204-p.asp
http://www.polimil.co.uk/acatalog/ICE_Series.html
http://www.uktactical.com/acatalog/ESS_ICE_2.4.html
http://www.body-armour-protection.co.uk/ess-ice-24-tactical-sunglasses/

Chris

Hi, come pay day I am after a pair of these http://www.catch-fishing.co.uk/
Handy having interchangable lens, just got some contact lenses so need non prescription ones. they also do a prescription version.
would like some oakley half jackets but have to be realistic!
cheers, dave

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that mate....but I am not sure what to think now :( I have looked at every one of those sunglass examples on your links, and it doesn't seem to be any of those...or any of the others on those sites.

I suppose the thing is I only actually saw them once, and my memory is not good now. As I recall, they had standard type and shaped frames (not wraparounds)....a bit retro looking I guess, with little separate side shields, and the lenses had a greeny tinge to them.

I will have to contact my relative to check them out now, otherwise this is going to drive me nuts :D

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

Thanks for that mate....but I am not sure what to think now :( I have looked at every one of those sunglass examples on your links, and it doesn't seem to be any of those...or any of the others on those sites.

I suppose the thing is I only actually saw them once, and my memory is not good now. As I recall, they had standard type and shaped frames (not wraparounds)....a bit retro looking I guess, with little separate side shields, and the lenses had a greeny tinge to them.

I will have to contact my relative to check them out now, otherwise this is going to drive me nuts :D

Cheers, Dave.

Dave,
did they have a mock tortoiseshell frame? Look a bit like the things that Gerry Rafferty wore, but with the little side panels? If they did then they are probably the previous version of British Military issue glasses. The ones that most of the lads wouldn't be seen dead in!;):D Go back a little further and we had low budget RayBan Aviator copies, when Aviators were distinctly unfashionable, predictably, no one actually wore them.

Chris

Think yourself lucky you got anything issued, back in my day you got bugger all, not even safety goggles, and if you wore your own in the aircraft handling area you stood a good chance of getting them confiscated as a f.o.d. hazard.

Have we done Rusty Fish of Bristol yet (do a search for the website)?

Being a steadfastly Brand- and Image-resistant sort I use the cheapest and the best - after all, it's not the horse but the driver; if you have eyes to see, you will see...

thanks david thats my son with the gun .had seen them when he had his kit issused but he head loads of gear what took my eye a nice bit of gortex is what i am after and charlie wants desert boots that he did not wear at a price

I understand that night vision goggles work well for spotting fish in low light conditions. Why don't you ask your son to bring a set back with him. The Forces stuff is terrific, non-professional light gathering devices don't work.

Dave,
did they have a mock tortoiseshell frame? Look a bit like the things that Gerry Rafferty wore, but with the little side panels? If they did then they are probably the previous version of British Military issue glasses. The ones that most of the lads wouldn't be seen dead in!;):D Go back a little further and we had low budget RayBan Aviator copies, when Aviators were distinctly unfashionable, predictably, no one actually wore them.

Chris

Hi Chris,

That's the ones mate :)

I had no idea that 'tackle tartness' started in the armed forces :D

Cheers, Dave.

I understand that night vision goggles work well for spotting fish in low light conditions. Why don't you ask your son to bring a set back with him. The Forces stuff is terrific, non-professional light gathering devices don't work.

I spotted a set of night vision goggles on a site on one of those links that Chris provided for me that were over £5500 :eek:

I would need the things to provide all sorts of after dark services for that kind of money :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

Think yourself lucky you got anything issued, back in my day you got bugger all, not even safety goggles, and if you wore your own in the aircraft handling area you stood a good chance of getting them confiscated as a f.o.d. hazard.

We got bugger all when I first started playing this silly game too.;) However, I knew that there was a good reason that I avoid airfields like the plague. Might bump into big noisy, dirty, smelly things if I did go near, and I don't mean lineys.;):p:D

Good God, yes.:D Everyone wants "Gucci" bits of kit.;):D

The Chairman on Saturday

Quite so. "Designer Death" is absolutely de rigor mortis here in The Hamsters. Even our femme fatale Lady Guides won't get into / out of bed - er, leave the house for the river - in the morning unless they're packing the very latest pink Glock from Jim's gunstore -

DuraCoat_Glock_PinkLady.jpg

As ever,

B.B.

Last edited:
I spotted a set of night vision goggles on a site on one of those links that Chris provided for me that were over £5500 :eek:

I would need the things to provide all sorts of after dark services for that kind of money :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

The night vision goggles can be obtained much cheaper but you need Forces' connections. Apparently if you wear a pair of good quality polarising sunglasses underneath the night vision goggles then you can use the night vision goggles in daylight and fish spotting is a doddle even in murky water. I have heard a rumour that Bob Roberts might be using them in his next DVD, Even Closer Still, to spot barbel in heavily weeded areas.

Oh dear. I see the no-talent, fish- and fame-hungry fashion victims in our number staggering about rivers looking like some RoboCop - Terminator - Universal Soldier hybrid...

1285941991-30927-0.jpg

And from the picture above suitably equipped to deal with EE's and otters :p

Back