• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

best sunglass for barbel fishing

I've got a pair of Optilabs which are good, though stupidly expensive! Replacement frames cost me 60 quid! Not happy with the customer service element as feel they stung me a second time round!

I've also got the ones we sell and side by side with the Optilabs, there's nothing in it! The Precision ones look better too:

https://barbel.co.uk/site/newshop/prod.php?c=Polarised Glasses

are the lenses all the same just in differant style frames?
could of got some goyt ones :p:D
cheers
jerry

glasses

the fish have to b there to see um,optilabs shades are well over priced and over-rated considering what u get out of a ten quid esp pair

Hi men,

I was just going to ask that !. I love the brown lens in the ESP glasses , which ones have them?.

Hatter

I've got a pair of Optilabs which are good, though stupidly expensive! Replacement frames cost me 60 quid! Not happy with the customer service element as feel they stung me a second time round!

I've also got the ones we sell and side by side with the Optilabs, there's nothing in it! The Precision ones look better too:

https://barbel.co.uk/site/newshop/prod.php?c=Polarised Glasses

Well done Andy.I like your style...go on any sales training course and they call this "looking for buying signals".....:D

While on holiday recently, my brother-in-law produced a pair of sunglasses his son had lent to him, on his return from Afghanistan...apparently the ones the troops are issued with out there to cut down the desert glare when fighting. I don't know if these are polarised...but I do know they were the finest...the clearest, most glare reducing glasses it has ever been my pleasure to wear....FAR better than anything I have ever been able to buy, and I wear subscription types! At least they seem to get something right for our boys out there :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
While on holiday recently, my brother-in-law produced a pair of sunglasses his son had lent to him, on his return from Afghanistan...apparently the ones the troops are issued with out there to cut down the desert glare when fighting. I don't know if these are polarised...but I do know they were the finest...the clearest, most glare reducing glasses it has ever been my pleasure to wear....FAR better than anything I have ever been able to buy, and I wear subscription types! At least they seem to get something right for our boys out there :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

I'm not surprised by your comments, Services equipment in usually pretty good. Optilabs are the ones the fishing tarts opt for! I suspect that Raybans will be up there although the latest stuff is made in China. The older polarised Raybans were very good although I don't believe that they were produced in the brown/yellow tint, which like many of you, I favour, not least because they cheer up a dull day! Apparently Aldi's polarised glasses are not bad for a few quid. A word of warning poor quality sunglasses are a liability as they provide a false sense of security but let in dangerous levels of harmful UV radiation.

Another thing to be aware of with cheaper sunglasses (I'm thinking of the sub £10 jobs here) is they might not be optically correct. If you find you are getting headaches after a few hours wearing them it may be that one or both of the lenses has some distortion and is causing you a bit of eye strain.

Optilabs for tackle tarts?!? I don't know about that, when I bought mine 4 or 5 years ago they were the cheapest place I could find a pair of polarised prescription lenses that didn't look too ridiculous! I think I paid around £130 at the time. A lot of money for sunglasses, but, at the time anyway, you were hard pushed to beat it!

Cheers
Adam

Bill - ouch!

AF

Sorry Andy, no harm intended, as a salesman myself just liked your style...:)..Can't see why you shouldn't promote the BFW Shop...there's plenty of other attempted selling going on....

Cheers, Dave.

my lad just got back from afgan hes got a pr on on my avatar. something else i will be bring back on saturday when i go to see him.thanks for that david
164693_480446144035_595954035_5615692_3919713_n.jpg

Last edited:
my lad just got back from afgan hes got a pr on on my avatar. something else i will be bring back on saturday when i go to see him.thanks for that david
164693_480446144035_595954035_5615692_3919713_n.jpg

Hi Gary,

I thought I should mention that I use separate prescription glasses for reading and distance work. I can manage well enough without the distance jobbies in normal circumstances, just wearing them for more exacting stuff.

When I first tried the army issue sun glasses, I thought they were c**p...could barely see with them on, blurred to hell. However, when I put my own clear distance glasses on, and the army ones over the top, it was a revelation....absolutely brilliant.

I have no idea why this was so, as normal non-prescription sun glasses do not affect my vision, beyond doing the job they were designed for. Perhaps the army glasses were prescription versions, and my own corrected them for me? I really don't know...but it's worth keeping in mind.

Cheers, Dave.

PS

Don't let him palm you off with the ones the guy in the foreground is wearing, lol.

Last edited:
thanks david thats my son with the gun .had seen them when he had his kit issused but he head loads of gear what took my eye a nice bit of gortex is what i am after and charlie wants desert boots that he did not wear at a price

I wore good polaroids all last season, but they didn't help me at all, on my spotting sessions on The Gt Ouse. I'm thinking of drawing some fish onto the lenses, so as I always have a fish or two to view. :cool: :rolleyes:

just got a pair of 'catch' by rapid eyewear from amazon, £45, three interchangeable lenses. seem good so far:)

just got a pair of 'catch' by rapid eyewear from amazon, £45, three interchangeable lenses. seem good so far:)

Picked up a pair of these at the BS conference. I broke them before even using them!
I've still got a pair of the original amber lens comorants from 1986, but i've had a look round and i might retire them in favour of some esp's.

Steve

Picked up a pair of these at the BS conference. I broke them before even using them!
I've still got a pair of the original amber lens comorants from 1986, but i've had a look round and i might retire them in favour of some esp's.

Steve

Those original amber cormorants were the dogs danglies in low light conditions. Why they stopped doing them in that exact shade I shall never know. I have shown them to several manufacturers and the answer always is "Sorry, can't get that colour any more" :mad:

Must be a reason, but lord knows what it is!

Cheers, Dave.

Back