• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Best fishing book

All Jim Corbett books are brilliant, they literally make your hair stand on end!
I have them all and never tire of re-reading them
20200901_072810.jpg

No particular order
River diaries, Chris Yates
Avon days & Stour ways , Kevin Grozier
Barbel for life , Len Arbery
Blood Knots Luke Jennings
The old man and the sand eel , Will Millard

In no particular order:

1. A Specimen Fishing Year by John Wilson
2. Carp and The Carp Angler by George Sharman
3. An Obsession with Carp by Dave Lane
4. The Deepening Pool by Chris Yates
5. Silver Season - Golden Memories by Tony Miles
Oops, I missed out George Sharman, must dig it out, haven't seen it for ages, thanks for the reminder.👍
G.T.

A Dream of Jewelled Fishes by John Aston ( I will read a chapter of this every week, love it ).
Elite Barbel by Tony Miles ( how I imagined I fished for Barbel ,only done properly 😂).
Quest for Barbel by Tony Miles and Trevor West ( probably should be in every Barbel fishers library)
Casting at the Sun by Chris Yates. ( a 'classic' in the true sense of the word ).
A Line on the Water by Stephen Harper ( not a book you see on many lists but beautifully written and certainly takes you right to the river bank).
Enjoy...
G.T.
Agree with A Dream of Jewelled Fishes by John Aston...a great read that captures the true ethos of angling

Beneath black waters by Jon Berry is a great read. Life, death, Teenage Fan Club and the obsession of chasing ferox in glacial lochs. How to fish is brilliant but then again so are all of Yates' books. Rod and Line by Arthur Ransome is also falling apart from repeated reading since dad gave me my copy at the time of the Michael Horden series.

Elite Barbel
In Pursuit of the Largest - Terry Hearn
First Cast - Terry Lampard
The Complete Steelheader - John Larison
Fifty Years A Fisherman -John Wilson

lots that nearly made it as well.

Angling with Dave Steuart.

A collection of some articles he wrote from the late 60’s into the 70’s.

A very very good read, this man was way ahead of his time and many of his thoughts and ideas are still very much relevant today.

The new encyclopedia of course fishing baits Colin Graham , In pursuit of big tench Len Arbury , Fisherman's year John Holden, The river trent Richard Stone [Not strictly a fishing book , but has a great photo of a massive sturgeon caught years ago, and gives a great feel of the history of the trent ], and barbel rivers and captures , barbel catches , and numerous others that get re read and dipped into every now and again .

Has to be "Going Fishing" by Negley Farson.
"Stillwater angling" Walker.
"Drop me a line" Walker and Maurice Ingham.
"The complete angler" Issac Walton.
"Lines in pleasant places" William Senior.
I have others If members like older and varied angling stories.

Last edited:
Angling with Dave Steuart.

A collection of some articles he wrote from the late 60’s into the 70’s.

A very very good read, this man was way ahead of his time and many of his thoughts and ideas are still very much relevant today.
Could not agree more

Not in order of preference

Old Man and the Sea - E Hemmingway
My Way With Chub - T Miles
Casting At The Sun - C Yates
Roach - J Bailey
Fishing for Big Chub - P Stone

Excellent thread! I’d never come across Blood Lines, so I’ve just ordered a copy, after reading a synopsis.
I don’t seem to have anything new to add! Just re-read Casting At The Sun and The Deepening Pool, so they have to be on my list, along with A Dream of Jewelled Fishes (the title alone sums up the appeal of angling for me) Negley Farson’s Going Fishing (it must be, I have three copies I’ve bought at times when I wanted to re-read it and didn’t have a copy to hand!) and finally Drop Me a Line

Either of John Astons books , how to fish by Chris Yates , most of BB's books . Paul Bootes chapters in somewhere down the Crazy river are in my view right up there with the all time angling classics

For all those Left Behind - John Andrews (angling themed rather than angling book)
River Diaries - Chris Yates
The River Prince - Chris Yates
50 Years on the Ouse - Tony Miles
Elite Barbel - Tony Miles

Definitely reading Blood Knots next, thanks for the recommendation 🙂

Back